Fenwick & West

As Good as Law Firm Life Gets

Former Employee - Attorney in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Attorney in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Fenwick & West full-time

Pros

There might not be any legit prestigious law firms that can provide a stress-free happy work life balance, but in my experience Fenwick is about as close as you can get.

Cons

I really don't have many complaints to report. Worrying about billable hours every day of your life can really wear you down, but it's an industry problem, not a Fenwick problem. I would like to see them be the first to just drop the billable hour requirement officially, proving that they are in a different league and cutting edge.

Great place to work

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fenwick is supportive of staff development, in my experience. I feel as though I can't hit a dead end here, or if I do, it's mostly my fault. If you begin to feel stagnant as an employee, you can suggest ways you can grow or expand your position and receive a lot of support. The comp and benefits are very good for staff, and highly competitve with other firms. There is a culture of kindness that is pervasive. There is more than one office, but the firm does a good job making everyone feel as though they are working for the same place, by sharing projects across offices, communicating pretty well by email, phone calls, and video conferences, and getting people together face-to-face when possible.

Cons

Depending on the office location, there are plusses and minuses. The Mountain View office is very large and there are a bit more layers of management to wade through. It's not easy to figure out at first. If you want to be a "stand out" Mountain View might be kind of a big pond for you. The smaller offices (San Francisco & Seattle) are a bit more streamlined (management-wise) and personal if you like that kind of thing.

Keep up the good work. Make sure the various offices get the communication they need from each department in Mountain View.

Great Place to Work- could stay forever

Current Employee - Assistant in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (more than an year)

Pros

smart people, dynamic environment, from a staff perspective-- reasonable hours and great pay. office culture is pretty relaxed, everyone knows each other. Even the most senior partners know majority of names around the office, always treated with respect and given the chance to succeed.

Cons

general "staff at a law firm" cons-- not the same benefits for staff and attorneys, can end up with weird hours depending on what is happening on the attorney side, high expectations for professionalism

Best biglaw firm you could work for.

Former Employee - Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Fenwick & West full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Top practice in the country for corporate law for tech companies. Partners are supportive and friendly--no one yells at you, partners seem to actually care about your career development and overall well-being. Associates are treated better at Fenwick than at any other firm I've heard of.

Cons

It's still a law firm, so there will be long hours and the work can be monotonous. As an attorney, there isn't great 24 hour support staff coverage. At other firms I've heard you always have paralegals and assistants to help you out at all hours. This is sort of true at Fenwick, but the staff that's around overnight is minimal, so they're not always available to help you.

Interesting. They are very concerned about maintain their status of "one of the best places to work", but fall short.

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some really great people here.

Cons

Still very hierarchal in nature (what can you say, it's a law firm!). Great if you are an attorney or paralegal, but not so much if you are staff.

None for staff. Just come do you job.

I feel like I died and went to job heaven.

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, constant parties and employee appreciation acts (for example, hey you guys are working hard so hear we hired a company to make crepes for everybody), good salaries, supportive management and co-Workers, great location, and a real sense of community. I feel like everything I do is received with so much appreciation. As for business, the firm handles some of the biggest names in technology and life sciences.

Cons

I can't think of one bad thing to say.

I love Fenwick. Keep doing everything right. Thank you for making such a supportive and diverse environment.

Great opportunities--thriving practice

Former Employee - Of Counsel in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Of Counsel in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Fenwick & West full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It has a thriving Silicon Valley practice

Cons

People sometimes work long hours

A high quality firm with reasonable work/life balance.

Former Employee - Patent Engineer
    Former Employee - Patent Engineer

I worked at Fenwick & West full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Generally a good group of people that are enjoyable to work with. A chance to work on important and interesting subject matter. Above average compensation. Part time options for attorneys not looking to bill a large number of hours can be a bonus to some.

Cons

No significant downsides, though a significant amount of work is required. It became clear that the type of work involved in the profession was not for me long term.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance, Bay Area Location, Great Clients

Cons

Law Firm Atmosphere, Can be Long Hours Depending on Practice Group

Fenwick and West is a testament to the Silicon Valley culture of excellence and progressive thinking

Current Employee - Paralegal in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fenwick management is typically rather positive and encouraging. The pay is highly competitive, but the workplace atmosphere is more incusive than divisive. Fenwick employees work as a team to exceed client expectations and everyone seems to always be looking for ways to help the firm grow and succeed.

Cons

With the firm growing it seems there is a lack of space in the building causing some people to be put in small cubicles, but more spaces are being built to fix that.