Ferguson Enterprises

Updated November 13, 2014
2.9

Ferguson Enterprises President and CEO Frank Roach
Frank Roach

Pros
  • Good benefits, good values even though my managers didn't practice them (in 21 reviews)

• You might get lucky to meet some good people you work with, but not a guarantee (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The extremely long hours and extremely low pay were the reason for me leaving the company (in 30 reviews)

• With that said, other managers appreciate the work life balance and can be great mentors (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent Company, Questionable Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ferguson as a company is fantastic. Very supportive of it's employees, great benefits and lots of employee engagement. The company tries hard to make sure employees have a good work/home balance.
    They offer lots of opportunity for professional development within the organization and genuinely care about their employees.

Cons

Management seems to reward those who find ways to do less while holding back those that work hardest. There is a lot of talk about improving but never any action.
    A lot of politics goes on and it can be frustrating for someone who genuinely cares about the company and it's future. There is a lot of taking credit for other people's work and keeping the little guy down.

I think the majority of the management staff, including the executives, could really benefit from some management training. Pay more attention to and reward those employees who are actually producing results.

Excellent Company

Former Employee - Sales Management Trainee in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Management Trainee in Newport News, VA

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay was great
    Benefits are top notch
    Leadership is generally incredibly knowledgeable about their field
    They are by far the #1 company in their space

Cons

Sitting in a cubicle all day got boring
    Working at the Headquarters fresh out of college can be daunting and lack the opportunities to experience things in the industry that you really need to be successful

Keep doing what you are doing

Good hours but training too inconsistent

Former Employee - Junior Vendor Statements Associate in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Junior Vendor Statements Associate in Newport News, VA

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At the Shared Services Center (Newport News, VA) - Flex time was awesome part. Decent pay. I liked the fact that even though I started out through a temp company as temp-to-hire, my benefits went into effect the day I went permanent instead of having to wait another 90 days.

Cons

Training......TOO INCONSISTANT. Too many people trying to train you how to do the job but they are teaching based on the way THEY do the job which is all different instead of having management train you the way the job SHOULD be done. That's what lead to my downfall!!!

Shared Services Center is a joke

Former Employee - Accounts Reconciliation Associate in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Accounts Reconciliation Associate in Newport News, VA

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ferguson itself could be a good company if it wasn't for Shared Services Center

Cons

SSC is ran so badly it's almost amusing. Management is cliquey and awful, and will stop at nothing to talk about you to anyone that will listen. Bad employees are rewarded while those that work hard are not recognized. Bonuses were taken away and were a joke, anyhow. It was the manager's discretion to determine how much the employee gets, and if the manger didn't like you, you were screwed out of a well deserved raise. Other employees are terrible and gossip runs rampant. Out of a building of hundreds of people, I can name on one hand the employees that are worth getting to know and who made coming to work fun...but management isn't one of them. The director is only interested in his objectives, and if you don't play the game, you're screwed. Don't have a voice or go against the grain and you'll be fine. Also, the ridiculous measures put into place for productivity are dumb. Many good people were let go while management would fake numbers, erase errors made, and let the awful employees stay while lying about their productivity.

I have none. Management is vile, from the top all the way down to the bottom.

Great company to learn and grow with...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ferguson was a great place to learn the wholesale distribution business.... from starting in the warehouse and learning how to receive and ship product, to learning what the products looked like.. to counter sales working with a knowledgeable associate and learning what the product are used for. Then into your chosen field within inside sales- be it commercial/plumbing/industrial/residential/HVAC etc. Then throughout your career the opportunities for personal and professional growth are tremendous.

Cons

The negatives are a lot of time away from family to get ahead... In order to advance (promotion wise) you need to be flexible and move around.

Keep it fun for your associates-- make sure that you make you associates feel that their quality of work is what is important not just the quantity that is used to determine productivity

Inconsistent Corporate Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great family relationship at the branch level.

Cons

Politics prevail at corporate headquarters, and many managers are promoted based on relationships rather than skill in the position.

Require and expect managers to mentor and develop their associates.

Phenomenal company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ferguson is a tremendous company to work for. Associates are treated like family (often referred to internally as the Ferguson family), well compensated and offered a plethora of career development opportunities. Furthermore, Ferguson takes care of the communities in and around its markets. I am consistently overwhelmed/amazed that one company could recruit 19,000 like-minded individuals -- Ferguson associates are good people; they work hard and care for their communities. I truly love coming to work everyday.

Cons

I have worked for Ferguson for nearly two years and have yet to encounter a "turn-off". Sure there are challenges (all companies have them), for instance, I would like to be able to volunteer in the community on company time (a lot of companies allot employees like eight hours or so a year). However, I thoroughly enjoy my job, the company and the associates I work with!

Great place to work!

Former Employee - General Ledger Clerk in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - General Ledger Clerk in Newport News, VA

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great hours and great management

Cons

Sometimes feel micromanaged, but not all the time.

Good people but bad management

Former Employee - front line support technician in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - front line support technician in Newport News, VA

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very knowledgeable people, always willing to help you advance you knowledge of the systems. Willing to work with you on anything that come up in personal life.

Cons

Only moves up if you are in with the right people. They look to much at the numbers and not the person or the support that is given. Managers are not seen on the floor, or care about the employees

Take time to ask employees how they are doing

Just bad

Former Employee - shared accountant in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - shared accountant in Newport News, VA

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flex hours are nice, you get discounts in the community on apartments and other useful things. Parking is good I guess.

Cons

Hostile work environment. Not structure or professionalism. No real sense of leadership. Lack of advancement. Plays favorites in many cases.

Start with professionalism. Stop letting people make teams with friends. Lack of structure makes management look bad

Ferguson Enterprises Photos