Ferguson Enterprises

Updated February 21, 2015
2.9

Ferguson Enterprises President and CEO Frank Roach
Frank Roach

Pros
  • Good benefits, good values even though my managers didn't practice them (in 21 reviews)

• Compare this training program with some of the other large post grad programs (i (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The extremely long hours and extremely low pay were the reason for me leaving the company (in 30 reviews)

• With that said, other managers appreciate the work life balance and can be great mentors (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

43 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Excellent company !

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Newport News, VA

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong culture of taking care of their customers.
    Industry leader in all of their markets
    Very competitive compensation structure

Cons

Long hours, but you know what you are getting into when you are hired

Career advancement may take longer, but the time invested in your development is worth the wait.

Keep doing what you are doing

Who's at the helm this week (IT centric)?

Current Employee - IT Systems in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - IT Systems in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable company, good sales and profit (now, finally), OK pay and bennies, good people and good balance of life even considering on call rotations and weekend work.

Cons

4 years = 4 different managers, IT Management reorgs like musical chairs and "different" does not mean better in many cases. Ticket driven, as many IT shops are heading towards, mean many are just cogs in the machine and are treated and feel as such. Profits do not mean good bonuses or raises. Very much a good ol'boy company, it's all who you know at many levels.

You're a plumbing company. You don't need iPads in all your showrooms. Rather than chasing the latest and greatest wizzbang fad ($$$), invest in your people. That expensive new showroom of the future is seen as a lot of people's raises and bonuses that they didn't get.

Overall my experience has been a good one

Current Employee - Project Manager in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Ferguson Enterprises

Pros

I have learned a lot working at Ferguson. I was given a lot of responsibility right up front considering I was a temp. I received tremendous praise on jobs I handled.

Cons

Promises were made and not kept. Definitely knew I was an outsider.

Treat your temporary employees better. Make sure they feel important and included

IT Managers

Former Contractor - Technical Support in Newport News, VA
    Former Contractor - Technical Support in Newport News, VA

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Ferguson as a whole company believes in giving their employees opportunity to grow inside the company.

Cons

Some department do not respect their employees. The managers in these departments do not value work ethics or their employee. Senior employees are skip over for promotions all the time and non qualified employee receives the promotion.

Look at the value the people bring to the company. How hard they have worked to bring world class customer service. Change the way your management team interacts with their employees.

Excellent Company, Questionable Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ferguson as a company is fantastic. Very supportive of it's employees, great benefits and lots of employee engagement. The company tries hard to make sure employees have a good work/home balance.
    They offer lots of opportunity for professional development within the organization and genuinely care about their employees.

Cons

Management seems to reward those who find ways to do less while holding back those that work hardest. There is a lot of talk about improving but never any action.
    A lot of politics goes on and it can be frustrating for someone who genuinely cares about the company and it's future. There is a lot of taking credit for other people's work and keeping the little guy down.

I think the majority of the management staff, including the executives, could really benefit from some management training. Pay more attention to and reward those employees who are actually producing results.

Excellent Company

Former Employee - Sales Management Trainee in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Management Trainee in Newport News, VA

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay was great
    Benefits are top notch
    Leadership is generally incredibly knowledgeable about their field
    They are by far the #1 company in their space

Cons

Sitting in a cubicle all day got boring
    Working at the Headquarters fresh out of college can be daunting and lack the opportunities to experience things in the industry that you really need to be successful

Keep doing what you are doing

Shared Services Center is a joke

Former Employee - Accounts Reconciliation Associate in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Accounts Reconciliation Associate in Newport News, VA

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ferguson itself could be a good company if it wasn't for Shared Services Center

Cons

SSC is ran so badly it's almost amusing. Management is cliquey and awful, and will stop at nothing to talk about you to anyone that will listen. Bad employees are rewarded while those that work hard are not recognized. Bonuses were taken away and were a joke, anyhow. It was the manager's discretion to determine how much the employee gets, and if the manger didn't like you, you were screwed out of a well deserved raise. Other employees are terrible and gossip runs rampant. Out of a building of hundreds of people, I can name on one hand the employees that are worth getting to know and who made coming to work fun...but management isn't one of them. The director is only interested in his objectives, and if you don't play the game, you're screwed. Don't have a voice or go against the grain and you'll be fine. Also, the ridiculous measures put into place for productivity are dumb. Many good people were let go while management would fake numbers, erase errors made, and let the awful employees stay while lying about their productivity.

I have none. Management is vile, from the top all the way down to the bottom.

Good hours but training too inconsistent

Former Employee - Junior Vendor Statements Associate in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Junior Vendor Statements Associate in Newport News, VA

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than a year)

Pros

At the Shared Services Center (Newport News, VA) - Flex time was awesome part. Decent pay. I liked the fact that even though I started out through a temp company as temp-to-hire, my benefits went into effect the day I went permanent instead of having to wait another 90 days.

Cons

Training......TOO INCONSISTANT. Too many people trying to train you how to do the job but they are teaching based on the way THEY do the job which is all different instead of having management train you the way the job SHOULD be done. That's what lead to my downfall!!!

Great company to learn and grow with...

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ferguson was a great place to learn the wholesale distribution business.... from starting in the warehouse and learning how to receive and ship product, to learning what the products looked like.. to counter sales working with a knowledgeable associate and learning what the product are used for. Then into your chosen field within inside sales- be it commercial/plumbing/industrial/residential/HVAC etc. Then throughout your career the opportunities for personal and professional growth are tremendous.

Cons

The negatives are a lot of time away from family to get ahead... In order to advance (promotion wise) you need to be flexible and move around.

Keep it fun for your associates-- make sure that you make you associates feel that their quality of work is what is important not just the quantity that is used to determine productivity

Inconsistent Corporate Culture

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great family relationship at the branch level.

Cons

Politics prevail at corporate headquarters, and many managers are promoted based on relationships rather than skill in the position.

Require and expect managers to mentor and develop their associates.

Ferguson Enterprises Photos