Ferguson Enterprises

Ferguson Enterprises Reviews in Newport News, VA

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Ferguson Enterprises President and CEO Frank Roach

Frank Roach

Pros
  • Good benefits, good values even though my managers didn't practice them(in 19 reviews)

• You might get lucky to meet some good people you work with, but not a guarantee(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The extremely long hours and extremely low pay were the reason for me leaving the company(in 29 reviews)

• With that said, other managers appreciate the work life balance and can be great mentors(in 10 reviews)

35 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to learn and grow with...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsFerguson was a great place to learn the wholesale distribution business.... from starting in the warehouse and learning how to receive and ship product, to learning what the products looked like.. to counter sales working with a knowledgeable associate and learning what the product are used for. Then into your chosen field within inside sales- be it commercial/plumbing/industrial/residential/HVAC etc. Then throughout your career the opportunities for personal and professional growth are tremendous.

ConsThe negatives are a lot of time away from family to get ahead... In order to advance (promotion wise) you need to be flexible and move around.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it fun for your associates-- make sure that you make you associates feel that their quality of work is what is important not just the quantity that is used to determine productivity

Inconsistent Corporate Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsGreat family relationship at the branch level.

ConsPolitics prevail at corporate headquarters, and many managers are promoted based on relationships rather than skill in the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementRequire and expect managers to mentor and develop their associates.

Phenomenal company!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsFerguson is a tremendous company to work for. Associates are treated like family (often referred to internally as the Ferguson family), well compensated and offered a plethora of career development opportunities. Furthermore, Ferguson takes care of the communities in and around its markets. I am consistently overwhelmed/amazed that one company could recruit 19,000 like-minded individuals -- Ferguson associates are good people; they work hard and care for their communities. I truly love coming to work everyday.

ConsI have worked for Ferguson for nearly two years and have yet to encounter a "turn-off". Sure there are challenges (all companies have them), for instance, I would like to be able to volunteer in the community on company time (a lot of companies allot employees like eight hours or so a year). However, I thoroughly enjoy my job, the company and the associates I work with!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work!

General Ledger Clerk (Former Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsGreat hours and great management

ConsSometimes feel micromanaged, but not all the time.

Good people but bad management

front line support technician (Former Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsVery knowledgeable people, always willing to help you advance you knowledge of the systems. Willing to work with you on anything that come up in personal life.

ConsOnly moves up if you are in with the right people. They look to much at the numbers and not the person or the support that is given. Managers are not seen on the floor, or care about the employees

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to ask employees how they are doing

Just bad

shared accountant (Former Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsFlex hours are nice, you get discounts in the community on apartments and other useful things. Parking is good I guess.

ConsHostile work environment. Not structure or professionalism. No real sense of leadership. Lack of advancement. Plays favorites in many cases.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart with professionalism. Stop letting people make teams with friends. Lack of structure makes management look bad

Great people, outstanding customer service

Credit Assistant (Former Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsProfessionals, great interaction between departments

ConsHUGE corporation, pay scale on the low side

My experience with Ferguson has been wonderful.

Finance (Current Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsDecent benefits. Great hours. Friendly work environment.

ConsMy position doesn't offer the best pay.

Lack of internal growth

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsFlex time, part-time hours, sick time, community service, and sick time.

ConsLack of internal growth, employee recognition, and interview feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide internal candidates more opportunities for advancement first.

A whole bunch of managers but NO leaders

EBusiness (Former Employee) Newport News, VA

ProsVery laid back and because the managers did not know how to manage, it was easy to get things done.

ConsManagers were bunch of college drop outs that have been with the company for 10 plus years given a chance to manage people.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to develop Talent and retain good workers. Instead of wasting money on cubicle design and changing the "look" of ferguson, why not Pay your people more?

Worked for Ferguson Enterprises? Contribute to the Community!