Ferguson Enterprises

Updated February 21, 2015
Updated February 21, 2015

Ferguson Enterprises President and CEO Frank Roach
Frank Roach

Pros
  • Good benefits, good values even though my managers didn't practice them (in 21 reviews)

• Compare this training program with some of the other large post grad programs (i (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The extremely long hours and extremely low pay were the reason for me leaving the company (in 30 reviews)

• With that said, other managers appreciate the work life balance and can be great mentors (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place

I have been working at Ferguson Enterprises

Pros

Friendly. Decent pay. Fun. Challenging

Cons

Cold warehouse, can't be afraid to get dirty.

So-So

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Pomona, CA
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Pomona, CA

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of products to sell. Management will give you freedom to sell and make decisions on your own.

Cons

Stressful sales environment due to monthly goals. Aggressive budgets set by management.

Training program was basically zero. You start above an entry level position and it's basically sink or swim immediately.

Excellent company !

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Newport News, VA

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong culture of taking care of their customers.
    Industry leader in all of their markets
    Very competitive compensation structure

Cons

Long hours, but you know what you are getting into when you are hired

Career advancement may take longer, but the time invested in your development is worth the wait.

Keep doing what you are doing

Ferguson was a nice part time job

I have been working at Ferguson Enterprises

Pros

Relaxed hours, Friendly staff who were all very hard working.

Cons

Some of the higher ups thought that they were better then everyone and would not give you the time of day

productive,work group

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

job security would be the number one reason for staying with a company like this. good coworkers

Cons

over shadowed, often feel unappreciated, starting to feel Dead end

It has been a great experience

I have been working at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Tons of opportunity if willing to move, job retention, descent pay, benefits, and 401

Cons

Long hours, high expectations, possible weekend work

Take care of key employees

Who's at the helm this week (IT centric)?

Current Employee - IT Systems in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - IT Systems in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable company, good sales and profit (now, finally), OK pay and bennies, good people and good balance of life even considering on call rotations and weekend work.

Cons

4 years = 4 different managers, IT Management reorgs like musical chairs and "different" does not mean better in many cases. Ticket driven, as many IT shops are heading towards, mean many are just cogs in the machine and are treated and feel as such. Profits do not mean good bonuses or raises. Very much a good ol'boy company, it's all who you know at many levels.

You're a plumbing company. You don't need iPads in all your showrooms. Rather than chasing the latest and greatest wizzbang fad ($$$), invest in your people. That expensive new showroom of the future is seen as a lot of people's raises and bonuses that they didn't get.

Not what you think...

I have been working at Ferguson Enterprises

Pros

-Good benefits
    -Pay is on par if not a tad better than a lot of jobs most marketing/management majors score right out of school
    -Develop a strong work ethic due to doing a lot of grunt work you really never wanted to do with a degree
    -IF you are the right fit, opportunity to do outside sales, manage a branch, operations manager, etc. will present itself but if you can make it past the years of work at the store level on the counter or in "inside sales"

Cons

-Not a good fit for the typical marketing major they hire fresh out of school. They sell the training program well, but it is not exactly always a reality. You have to be a specific kind of person (down home, "rough around the edges") to relate to the industry and customers. It isn't a glamorous job or industry, and you get your hands dirty a lot due to having to pull orders in the warehouse, hop on the forklift, etc. even when you are in counter sales/inside sales
    -In my case, I was working on the counter (you are literally working behind the counter of a store) after my time in the warehouse with no set end in sight. I did not see when and where the big outside sales opportunity I wanted would open up, but I knew it would be a few years..
    - Learning curve: Whether you are doing plumbing, HVAC, etc. you MUST enjoy learning about these kinds of things...you are having to talk to contractors daily about their projects and they ask you technical questions, product recommendations, etc. If you have no interest or really any prior background in this kind of thing then you will have a hard time catching on and enjoying your job.
    -Understaffed branches are a huge issue. Most branches have 2 people on the counter and a warehouse associate who is also a delivery driver. In the busy season the phones ring non stop, guys line up behind the counter, and the driver is gone it is extremely hectic and you really have to know what you are doing. It is frustrating a huge flaw of the company as it effects customer service.

A WORD OF ADVICE TO ANY RECENT/SOON TO BE RECENT GRAD THINKING ABOUT BEING A FERGUSON TRAINEE: Think a hard about industry fit. The people who like this most are usually ones who are rough around the edges and have some prior knowledge or just a genuine interest in the construction industry. If it does not interest you, look for something else. You won't like it.

It is better to hire people with industry knowledge to work here. I like the idea behind the training program (starting from the bottom to learn the in and outs) but maybe hiring a college grad with a marketing degree and a few PR internships is not really the best way to go...many do not know what they are truly getting into.

Overall my experience has been a good one

Current Employee - Project Manager in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Ferguson Enterprises

Pros

I have learned a lot working at Ferguson. I was given a lot of responsibility right up front considering I was a temp. I received tremendous praise on jobs I handled.

Cons

Promises were made and not kept. Definitely knew I was an outsider.

Treat your temporary employees better. Make sure they feel important and included

positive experience for 1st job out of school

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises

Pros

good starting job, benefits good and hands on experience

Cons

pay poor with little opportunity to progress within the company

improve pay and provide an incentive to stay for the long haul.

Ferguson Enterprises Photos