Ferguson Enterprises

Updated September 20, 2014
2.9

Ferguson Enterprises President and CEO Frank Roach
Frank Roach

Pros
  • Good benefits, good values even though my managers didn't practice them (in 21 reviews)

• You might get lucky to meet some good people you work with, but not a guarantee (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The extremely long hours and extremely low pay were the reason for me leaving the company (in 30 reviews)

• With that said, other managers appreciate the work life balance and can be great mentors (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Culture

I have been working at Ferguson Enterprises full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great resources- very diversified -

Cons

Forgetting about the culture that made ferguson. Company has a desire to be all things to all customers

Career structure will be crippling

Seems very racist against minorities all white people in the front and blacks and mexicans in the warehouse

Current Employee - Dock Worker  in  West Allis, WI
    Current Employee - Dock Worker in West Allis, WI

I have been working at Ferguson Enterprises for more than a year

Pros

Most of the people are cool.very laid back place. My 1020 brance works very hard but we don't get no love.

Cons

Management does not take ur advice. Seems racist.
    Not a chance to move up especially if your a minority

Please give equal opportunity to minorities. And better raises I'm worth more than 26 cent.

Not as good of a company as it may seem.

Former Employee - Ship Dock Loader
    Former Employee - Ship Dock Loader

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, benefits, and vacation time.

Cons

Won't let you use personal time even for a dying relative, has to approve vacation time if you miss a day and don't have sick time, treats loaders terrible because it's all the loader's fault because we touched it last, no communication between management, and major favoritism.

Treat all workers good not just order pickers

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mgmt Has a Good Ole' Boy Network, Full of Brown Nosers & there IS a Color Line

Current Employee - Ops
    Current Employee - Ops

I have been working at Ferguson Enterprises full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Notice all the "Newport News" employee ratings are 4 and 5 star? That's the corp. office and they better say great things! Outside the corp. office things are radically different. The pros about the company? Co-workers in the trenches are good honest people, management is a different story. Hours are long (50+), benefits are okay, salaries start low and raises hover around 3-4%, training is adequate, good first job for college grads (they will know what to avoid when choosing that 2nd job!), work is not all that difficult. If you are part of the good ole' boy system you can skate for years and stay employed.

Cons

If you cannot be "Fergunized" then you are out the door quickly, conform or else. Mgmt really does a poor job of motivating employees - they are too busy trying to meet the monthly sales figures to care about mentoring their employees to be the best they can be. Brown nosers are all over the place - the good ole' boy system is alive and well. The color line is so evident in the southern regions that it is surprising no one has called them out on it. In 10 years with Ferguson I have NEVER seen anything but white managers except on the Counter and in the Warehouse. I'm white & I resent this aspect of the company, it makes me ashamed. They take their best people, work them to death, don't give them time to spend with their families, pay poorly, don't give them the recognition they deserve, and then wonder why they can't retain an excellent staff!! The company is a lousy corporate citizen; they do few if any community service projects (except for Newport News of course, gotta keep up appearances). The backbone of their computer system is still DOS because they won't spend money on technology. This is a over-grown fossil of a company that desperately needs some one with integrity to come in and clean house. Wonder why I stay? I'm not far from retirement so I have ceased to care, I just keep my head down and count the days.

Managers - Quit promoting your old college roommate, the guy you grew up with or the wet-behind-the-ears grad who hangs on your every word. Praise your employees once in awhile, set up a merit system that works. Mentor your people so they can climb the ladder to success the old fashioned way; by working hard. Geez, what a concept huh? There are too many chiefs and not enough indians; middle management is bloated. Give your employees time to have a home life; you will find that they will be happier and more willing to help the company succeed. I honestly cannot believe this company is still around and continues to grow. If Wosley wasn't the parent company they would probably be in the toliet by now (little plumbing joke there).

Self centered managers that like to MICRO manage

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, good values even though my managers didn't practice them. Strong HQ support.

Cons

Micro management. My customers were very upset my boss let me go after 9yrs and threw Ferg's quotes in the trash after I was let go. Mgmt only cares about how they look on paper and not about they people that got them there.

Fire the good ole boy managers and start over. My boss was connected with the Regional and District managers. He used smoke and mirrors to make himself look good. No matter how well my branch preformed ultimately he took the credit for it even though he never helped or attempted to assist me to reach out to my customers. The only time I heard from him was when sales were down and if I had a Stellar month all I would get was "what does next month look like"

bad company bad management good benefits

Former Employee - COUNTER SALES  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - COUNTER SALES in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good benefits cool coworkers oppurtunity

Cons

bad management terrible pay no incentive

Just bad

Former Employee - shared accountant  in  Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - shared accountant in Newport News, VA

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flex hours are nice, you get discounts in the community on apartments and other useful things. Parking is good I guess.

Cons

Hostile work environment. Not structure or professionalism. No real sense of leadership. Lack of advancement. Plays favorites in many cases.

Start with professionalism. Stop letting people make teams with friends. Lack of structure makes management look bad

Bad company

I have been working at Ferguson Enterprises

Pros

Expensive benefits lack of pay bad equipment no heat what else can I say but there aren't any. Fourty cent raise for a year of 50 hours a week. How about splitting the management bonus with employees

Cons

Equipment is outdated. Have rental trucks more than company trucks. No one is certified in the boom truck, forklifts, or stock picker. Management keeps it understaffed it affects bonus pay for them to hire more people. Need Teamsters union across the country. Working on it. No heat for employees in the warehouse but it's 80 in the sales office.

Need to fire the entire pittsburgh management staff. To have workers with no heat in their warehouse and it's 80 in the sales office is really unfair.

Females do not apply!

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Compensation and bonus. My peers were great to work with.

Cons

Senior Management, horrible benefits, hours, no training or advancement if you are not male.
    This company allows sexual harassment and harassment of associates and does nothing but move people around to solve problems. Most managers will stab you in the back.

Instead of doing webcasts that no one pays attention to, hire consultants to train all managers on how to be the best leaders they can be and not harass your associates.

Remember to look over your shoulder and forget the customer!

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

broad availability of products but not in your inventory

Cons

all about the bottom line. forget the customer needs and associate values

the person shaking your hand wants your job

Ferguson Enterprises Photos

Worked for Ferguson Enterprises? Contribute to the Community!