Ferguson Enterprises

Updated November 18, 2014
2.9

Ferguson Enterprises President and CEO Frank Roach
Frank Roach

Pros
  • Good benefits, good values even though my managers didn't practice them (in 21 reviews)

• You might get lucky to meet some good people you work with, but not a guarantee (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The extremely long hours and extremely low pay were the reason for me leaving the company (in 30 reviews)

• With that said, other managers appreciate the work life balance and can be great mentors (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

3 and one half at most

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time

Pros

Great health benefits, holiday pay, some flexibility, basically guaranteed hours

Cons

Very, VERY, corporate. Employees act in spite of each other constantly. If you're in sales, you're working 50 hours per week, so there's zero work life balance. Favoritism plays a huge role in the ranks.

Stop the favoritism.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - General Ledger Clerk in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - General Ledger Clerk in Newport News, VA

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great hours and great management

Cons

Sometimes feel micromanaged, but not all the time.

Mgmt Has a Good Ole' Boy Network, Full of Brown Nosers & there IS a Color Line

Current Employee - Ops
    Current Employee - Ops

I have been working at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Notice all the "Newport News" employee ratings are 4 and 5 star? That's the corp. office and they better say great things! Outside the corp. office things are radically different. The pros about the company? Co-workers in the trenches are good honest people, management is a different story. Hours are long (50+), benefits are okay, salaries start low and raises hover around 3-4%, training is adequate, good first job for college grads (they will know what to avoid when choosing that 2nd job!), work is not all that difficult. If you are part of the good ole' boy system you can skate for years and stay employed.

Cons

If you cannot be "Fergunized" then you are out the door quickly, conform or else. Mgmt really does a poor job of motivating employees - they are too busy trying to meet the monthly sales figures to care about mentoring their employees to be the best they can be. Brown nosers are all over the place - the good ole' boy system is alive and well. The color line is so evident in the southern regions that it is surprising no one has called them out on it. In 10 years with Ferguson I have NEVER seen anything but white managers except on the Counter and in the Warehouse. I'm white & I resent this aspect of the company, it makes me ashamed. They take their best people, work them to death, don't give them time to spend with their families, pay poorly, don't give them the recognition they deserve, and then wonder why they can't retain an excellent staff!! The company is a lousy corporate citizen; they do few if any community service projects (except for Newport News of course, gotta keep up appearances). The backbone of their computer system is still DOS because they won't spend money on technology. This is a over-grown fossil of a company that desperately needs some one with integrity to come in and clean house. Wonder why I stay? I'm not far from retirement so I have ceased to care, I just keep my head down and count the days.

Managers - Quit promoting your old college roommate, the guy you grew up with or the wet-behind-the-ears grad who hangs on your every word. Praise your employees once in awhile, set up a merit system that works. Mentor your people so they can climb the ladder to success the old fashioned way; by working hard. Geez, what a concept huh? There are too many chiefs and not enough indians; middle management is bloated. Give your employees time to have a home life; you will find that they will be happier and more willing to help the company succeed. I honestly cannot believe this company is still around and continues to grow. If Wosley wasn't the parent company they would probably be in the toliet by now (little plumbing joke there).

Good people but bad management

Former Employee - front line support technician in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - front line support technician in Newport News, VA

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very knowledgeable people, always willing to help you advance you knowledge of the systems. Willing to work with you on anything that come up in personal life.

Cons

Only moves up if you are in with the right people. They look to much at the numbers and not the person or the support that is given. Managers are not seen on the floor, or care about the employees

Take time to ask employees how they are doing

Decent Company

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits and vacation plan.

Cons

Long hours. Demanding customers. You have to be in with the in crowd to advance.

Notice the hard workers that are not with the in crowd.

Went off track of the training syllabus. Didn't follow time guidelines given

Former Employee - Sales Trainee in Sheboygan, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Trainee in Sheboygan, WI

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent company culture. Great people to work with

Cons

The expectations are different based on the regions.

Self centered managers that like to MICRO manage

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good values even though my managers didn't practice them. Strong HQ support.

Cons

Micro management. My customers were very upset my boss let me go after 9yrs and threw Ferg's quotes in the trash after I was let go. Mgmt only cares about how they look on paper and not about they people that got them there.

Fire the good ole boy managers and start over. My boss was connected with the Regional and District managers. He used smoke and mirrors to make himself look good. No matter how well my branch preformed ultimately he took the credit for it even though he never helped or attempted to assist me to reach out to my customers. The only time I heard from him was when sales were down and if I had a Stellar month all I would get was "what does next month look like"

Long hours, low pay, frustrating tools and procedures.

Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in Pittsburg, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in Pittsburg, CA

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with some good people. If you're willing to travel across the country, there are some ok sales opportunities for advancement.

Cons

50 work week for most employees but you get paid like you're only doing 40 hours. Upper management can be frustrating and sometimes they seem disconnected from the reality of your job.

Try working in operations for a week.

bad company bad management good benefits

Former Employee - COUNTER SALES in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - COUNTER SALES in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits cool coworkers oppurtunity

Cons

bad management terrible pay no incentive

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

I worked at Ferguson Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Steady pay, decent benefits.

Cons

Management has no loyalty to employees that go above and beyond without being asked to. False promises by middle management. Negotiate wages up front in writing.Surprised this company.branch hasn't been in trouble with EEOC.

Treat everyone the same. "Special Privileges" for favorites promotes a hostile environment and discourages other employees to perform to their full potential. Stand by your word, if you say you are going to do something for an employee make sure you do it.

Ferguson Enterprises Photos