www.fnal.gov

4.0

Fermilab Laboratory Director Nigel Lockyer
Nigel Lockyer
1 Rating

Pros
  • I have become very interested and begun reading on my own about particle physics (in 4 reviews)

• They don't pay very well for scientists but the work environment is very good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Despite being employed by Fermi Research Alliance, the purse strings are held by the US Department of Energy Office of Science (thus DoE (in 2 reviews)

• Since Fermi falls under the Dept of Energy, their hiring/ staffing needs are very political causing them to suffer a cutback in staffing lately (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

A great introductory job for students who haven't held a job before.

Former Intern - QuarkNet in Batavia, IL
    Former Intern - QuarkNet in Batavia, IL

I worked at Fermilab as an intern

Pros

You get early experience working on a very focused project. Instead of taking a menial job during your summer, Fermi gives you the chance to immerse yourself in science while also learning how to act in an office.

Cons

The science community can be very closed.

Continue the internship!

Intellectual freedom, opportunities to work on interesting topics, cutting edge of research.

I have been working at Fermilab full-time

Pros

Wonderful opportunity to get first hand experience for building up a well-balanced skill set for a researcher.

Cons

Extremely few opportunities available for permanent employment. Often it's not about what you know, but who you know ! Surprising .... but it's true even here !

More un-biased thinking needed in selection of workforce. Less dependence on recommendations and references; test out candidates first hand, as much as possible.

Great

Current Employee - Intern in Warrenville, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Warrenville, IL

I have been working at Fermilab full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Really interesting project working alongside an experienced mentor. I also had the opportunity to see lots of experiments, and had a lot of fun with the other interns who were working there too.

Cons

Travel from the UK not paid for, but the salary was good so it was fine in the end, also not much flexibility in terms of arranging an internship, but the dates suited me anyway.

Best job ever.

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Batavia, IL
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Batavia, IL

I worked at Fermilab as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

You get to work with some of the funniest, most down-to-earth and intelligent people on the planet.
    The work is interesting and challenging.
    There are a lot of resources (hardware).
    Make your own hours.

Cons

Some employees aren't so down to earth.
    If you aren't driven, you can get stuck in a rut of boring work.
    From what I've heard, funding seems to be drying up.

beware to retirees

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Batavia, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Batavia, IL

I worked at Fermilab full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work if your a self starter and capable. Also earned several college degress while working there.

Cons

Lower managment resent you working outside the " box" regardless of your abilities which do affect your pay raises.
    If too many engineers, or physicists ask for you personally on their projects this is considered working outside the box too. After Graduating Summa C Laude with a Business Management Degree it was made plain that I would be going nowhere

Your lab was built in a large part by the boomer generation but no appreciation is shown when it come to retirement.
    You find it easy to sell off your retirees insurance coverage tom to an insurance exchange like Towers Watson who by the way has a lifetime limit which was not mentioned in your presentation as well as a 30% increase in Rx cost coverage for those of us who get Rx's for 90 days. Many of us have had the same Doctors fo 30 years and now you put us out to pasture like a bunch of simpletons who needs someone to tell us what kind of insurance we need You've shown your true colors. I truely hope those of youi that participated in this scam will reap what hardship you sowed. For me the day I must go to Towers Watson I'll ask to go on hospice. It may be painful but it'll be quick. Hopefully quicker than it took TIAA/CREF to lose over a quarter million dollers of my retirement. BTW if you think TW's One Exchange is good for us read their SEC filings and observe the profits they make and the risks they may be subject to.. All those profits come out of funds that would be paying our insurance.

Feigning Corporate in an Academic World.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator III in Batavia, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator III in Batavia, IL

I have been working at Fermilab full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Vacation and Medical Leave are separate and accrue at equal rates.
    Laid-back, academic atmosphere. People enjoy sharing what they are working on.
    Vast melting pot of cultures from around the world.
    Cool tech on the frontier of physics.

Cons

Communication between Sectors, Departments and Groups can be rather problematic. Too many islands.
    Too much budget tension from year to year. Despite being employed by Fermi Research Alliance, the purse strings are held by the US Department of Energy Office of Science (thus DoE...thus Congress)
    Salary freezes and furloughs do occur when Congress refuses to function.
    It seems that Cronyism runs rampant in the (shallow) ranks of Management. There is a lot of dead wood which should purged.
    There are MANY working groups which tends to make the Management structure more broad than deep. The problem is that a non-physicist has a difficult time moving up the rather short ladder.

Take responsibility. Make as many decisions as possible outside of a committee. Understand that results (controllable) are more important than public perception (not controllable). Be flexible enough to bring in a helpful technology, or ideology, without needing to "Fermi-ize" it into something ungainly and unusable.

Invaluable research experience.

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Batavia, IL
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Batavia, IL

I have been working at Fermilab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Get hands on, personal experience with the best in the industry.

Cons

Batavia is a small and rural place with not much to see.

No complaints.

Working hard during difficult budget times

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Batavia, IL
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Batavia, IL

I worked at Fermilab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits and time off are great. It is also really fun to be around so many smart people. It is still the center of the particle physics community in the United States.

Cons

The lab as been a bit scattered in its approach for a couple of years and is only now finding its footing with the new P5 report and director.

Always maintain a high, but achievable goals. I think in the past scientists have had lots of really wild ideas that have received far too much consideration. It is okay that they have wild ideas and that they discuss them, but at some point those ideas to be critically evaluated with and eye to reality.

Good old boys (girls) network

I worked at Fermilab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great non-mgmt. people, great culture

Cons

paperwork enough to kills trees every hour.

Learn what teamwork is and how it works inside departments, not just telling someone about teamwork but actually implement it!

Fermi is like a family.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Batavia, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Batavia, IL

I worked at Fermilab full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is more than respectful.

Cons

The great cafe options are too convenient!

Fermilab Photos