Ferno-Washington Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.9
Joseph Bourgraf

Pros
  • I left the company by the end of 2013 (in 3 reviews)

• You work hard here, but the pay is decent and the company does pay a bonus (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Some people say Wilmington is in the middle of nowhere, but I would submit they are the same ones who never stop to smell the roses (in 4 reviews)

• There have been no raises for a number of years, but if you ask for it, you may get a raise (in 4 reviews)

1. Production supervisor

Former Employee - Supervisor in Wilmington, OH
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Wilmington, OH

I worked at Ferno-Washington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great people to work with and for

Cons

laid off due to money issues

2. You Never Know

I worked at Ferno-Washington full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people - great family feel. Products that you can be proud of that contribute to the well-being of people everywhere. Normally, the financial status is good.

Cons

Loyalty, hard work and seniority are no guarantee that your job is safe. When money gets tight, the axe falls. Often the choice of which people are laid off makes no apparent sense. The financial status seems to be pretty shaky at this time and there have been a number of layoffs in several departments.

Advice to Management

Nothing much to say. It just seems like there ought to be a better way to do things to keep the bottom line healthier.

3. messed up management

I worked at Ferno-Washington full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a place to make progress when they knew what they need to do.

Cons

The management team does not care the business, they care how much they get from the owner family. All of that because the owner lost the clear and fair guideline to evaluate and inspire those talent employees, and kept political animals around to hear fawn.

5. Confusion at Best but a Decent Place to work

Current Employee - Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Design Engineer

I have been working at Ferno-Washington full-time

Pros

Amazing products and innovation that makes Engineers take pride in.
    Good place to learn the Engineering tools and procedures.

Cons

Design leads are bossy and over controlling.
    Not much openness and encouragement for Young engineers to think out of the box and share their ideas.
    Salary is average. 401K sucks

Advice to Management

Have leads that are leaders and motivators not bosses

6. Small business on the move.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, OH

I have been working at Ferno-Washington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive Benefits, flexible work hours, comfortable work environment, flexibility to move between job positions, growing in the international marketplace, multinational company

Cons

Disorganized management, poor inter-departmental communication, slow to adapt to new technology/equipment, offices in need of renovation,

7. Great company to work for and great people to work with

I worked at Ferno-Washington

Pros

Compensation, benefits, coworkers, environment, and sense of family

Cons

Never know when you will be walked out. No rhyme or reason for who stays and who goes

8. Ferno is great and Wilmington is a awesome place.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Group in Wilmington, OH
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Group in Wilmington, OH

I have been working at Ferno-Washington full-time

Pros

My father taught me that you had to give a fair days work to receive a fair days pay and my career at Ferno has taught me the meaning of hard work and in return I have raised a family, sent one to college and never paid a bill late in my life. The best way to describe Ferno is that it is fair. They treat you fair, go out of their way on benefits coverage and you do feel like part of an extended family.

Cons

One thing I have never understood is people complaining about Ferno's location. No one ever told me we were not located in Wilmington. Why would you take a job, if you don't like where the company is located and then complain about it. Not very bright. Fortunately, 99% of the people here are.

9. Our Ferno customers are saying "Wow".

Current Employee - Administrative in Wilmington, OH
    Current Employee - Administrative in Wilmington, OH

I have been working at Ferno-Washington full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you could have heard the customer feedback on a recent visit to Ferno you would be proud to work here. The most common response was "Wow" and the most common question was "When can we get one?" You read a lot of good and bad about companies, but my belief is that comes from a lack of purpose in the companies that don't get primarily good feedback. There are naysayers everywhere, but being able to bring value to your customers is what gives purpose to your work every day. I wish I had a recorded all the "Wows" so I could share them with people who ask what Ferno is all about.

Cons

If you want a company that's fair and has purpose, Ferno is for you. If you just want a paycheck you can work anywhere. We have good, hard working people here and make great products. the pay is OK and the benefits are very strong. Some people say Wilmington is in the middle of nowhere, but I would submit they are the same ones who never stop to smell the roses.

10. Going on my second year at Ferno.

I have been working at Ferno-Washington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Going on my second year at Ferno I know that I have found the place for me. Although my previous employer said they valued employee input they never acted on it and over time you became reluctant to offer suggestions and input that could save the company money.

Ferno doesn't always act on your input, but you do get a response and feel like you have control over doing your part to make the company successful. A good example is our benefit package. By allowing employees to have accountability for health care choices they save themselves and the company money it does not need to spend, not to mention better health and more money that can go into the company bonus plan.

Cons

There are very nice people here, it does feel like a family and I enjoy coming to work. I don't know what else you could ask for. Raises can be a little slow, but a lot of money is spent on product development to ensure Ferno's future success.

11. Being busy is a great thing!

I have been working at Ferno-Washington full-time

Pros

A lot of changes at Ferno- for the better. Over the last year the company has undergone tremendous change associated with growth and new products. This type of change has been a challenge for us all. It is not over and never will be, if we want to thrive as a business, but the vast majority of my fellow workers have stepped up to the plate and gotten the job done.

Cons

We read about companies going out of business every day. Clinton county, where we are located has been beaten hard by the economy. Somehow the flag at Ferno stands tall. The reason for that is simple. Our people work hard every day to keep it there. We will survive and grow. Once some of the new products take hold, it would be nice to see more regular raises. Benefits are in good shape and Ferno should be proud of what they have done.

RSS Feed </> Embed