Ferno-Washington Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
54 reviews filtered by
4.5
Joseph Bourgraf

Pros
  • I left the company by the end of 2013 (in 3 reviews)

• Given that, I now believe the naysayers among this company are feeling tthe smothering effects of "positive" change and new leadership (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Wilmington is in the middle-of-nowhere and as a city, it offers close to nothing (in 4 reviews)

• There have been no raises for a number of years, but if you ask for it, you may get a raise (in 4 reviews)

1. Pay is fair, benefits good, and plant is clean.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, OH

I have been working at Ferno-Washington full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Over the 12 years that I have worked at Ferno in the Manufacturing Group I have been impressed with two main things that happen here every day. One is the huge commitment that employees have to the company and two is the overall work ethic that exists here. People at Ferno show up at work to work and they know, if they don't that they are putting their fellow employees at risk. Pay is fair, benefits good, and plant is clean.

Cons

My suggestion to Ferno would be to help its employees better prepare for retirement. Its something that some of us are not prepared for.

2. Confusion at Best but a Decent Place to work

Current Employee - Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Design Engineer

I have been working at Ferno-Washington full-time

Pros

Amazing products and innovation that makes Engineers take pride in.
    Good place to learn the Engineering tools and procedures.

Cons

Design leads are bossy and over controlling.
    Not much openness and encouragement for Young engineers to think out of the box and share their ideas.
    Salary is average. 401K sucks

Have leads that are leaders and motivators not bosses

3. Coming back to Ferno.

I have been working at Ferno-Washington

Pros

A number of years ago I left Ferno to join another local manufacturing company, because I thought the grass would be greener. Well, it was a far cry from green. The most discouraging part of this other company was the poor attitude of its employees. The relationship with management was adversarial and driven by fear. Not very motivating. Despite the fact I did a good job for Ferno, it took me three years to get rehired. What a difference. People at Ferno know they have to work together to be successful and that includes all levels of the organization. People actually like each other here and go out of their way to help each other. If a positive attitude is everything, this is where you want to work.

Cons

I learned the hard way that a little more money does not spell happy. I am just glad to be back.

5. My view of Ferno

I have been working at Ferno-Washington

Pros

Although I have been at Ferno less than two years, I have never worked at a company in my fifteen years of employment elsewhere, where employees have a dogged determination to produce the best product they possibly can on a day to day basis. A lot of companies talk about continuous improvement, but that is where it stops. Ferno encourages new ideas and ways of doing things. I really feel my voice can and will be heard. I leave work feeling good about who I am and what I do.

The benefits and pay are fair here and the manufacturing area is clean and more importantly safe. Generally, it's a very good place to work.

Cons

The company could put a little more into their 401k plan, but that is the only negative I have.

6. Wish I had joined Ferno sooner. Great company.

I have been working at Ferno-Washington

Pros

My family lived in Cincinnati for two generations and I had heard of, but never pursued Ferno as an employer. After having been here for about a year, I wish I had done so a lot earlier in by career. Ferno is a manufacturing company and a pretty darn good one. Having worked in a machine shop on the West side of Cincinnati twenty years it was refreshing to see a company like Ferno that offers a clean work environment and really does prioritize employee safety. Believe me, I have seen plenty of accidents in my career and at Ferno you don't.

You can also progress Here, if you want. Their tuition aid program is aggressive and the company is growing. Probably most important to me is the people here are nice. They do care about each other and lend a hand as best they can. Give me Ferno any day.

Cons

I may drive a little further to get here, but I have never looked back on my decision to come. Nice place to work.

7. Small business on the move.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, OH

I have been working at Ferno-Washington full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive Benefits, flexible work hours, comfortable work environment, flexibility to move between job positions, growing in the international marketplace, multinational company

Cons

Disorganized management, poor inter-departmental communication, slow to adapt to new technology/equipment, offices in need of renovation,

8. Excellent Company

I have been working at Ferno-Washington full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is a natural tension in the air at Ferno and it revolves around the soon to be released EMS product that we have all worked on day and night to make perfect. Ferno has designed a game changer in the EMS market and we can't wait to start seeing it in action.

As a fairly new employee, I learned a lot about seeing things though and committing to providing the very best product you can to your customers. The people at Ferno get it and know the customer is king. If you want to work with creative, fun and just plain hard working prople this is the place for you. As a whole, folks get along. If not, they work it out.

Cons

The company is very fair with it's all employees bonus, but I would like to see equal emphasis put on individual contributions as well. We are growing. If you want to work at a place like Ferno, check us out.

9. Customers are flocking to Ferno

I have been working at Ferno-Washington

Pros

After my hire at Ferno, I was immediately consumed helping with the creation and manufacturability of one of the most unique pieces of equipment to ever hit the EMS Market. It has been very rewarding to hear our customers say this is a game changer at the International and National USA Markets. We have a lot of dedicated and very bright people at Ferno and once again they are set to leave their mark on our customer base in a grand way.

Cons

I have enjoyed working here a lot. It has a homelike feel and you are never without something to eat that a fellow employee has brought in to share. My only complaint is that I have gained weight since I came to Ferno. Perhaps we should only allow folks to bring in dietetic cookies.

10. I can't complain........yet. LOL!

I have been working at Ferno-Washington

Pros

This is my first Christmas at Ferno. Looking back over my first few months with the company I can say that the good things I heard about Ferno in the community and read on line are true. You are treated as if your opinion matters here and it does. The management team wants to hear what you have to say. They might not always do it, but they listen to what you have to say.

I feel I am fairly paid and the amount of work I am expected to do is reasonable. Safety comes first and there is no doubt in my mind that safety issues are addressed quickly, when they arise. We have a lot of people here who give back to the community and you feel you are part of something special compared to other employers I have had.

It's a nice place to work with great people to work with.

Cons

I have been at Ferno less than a year and have yet to have a major gripe about anything specific. There are some minor things but nothing worth mentioning.

11. 15 years in Manufacturing

I have been working at Ferno-Washington full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Without a doubt, the Ferno employees are the hardest working group of people I have ever worked with. Maybe it's because so many of us grew up in the country that the long hours required by our business at times are accepted for what they are and you hear very little griping about working the hours necessary to take care of our customers. The vast majority of people here get it. No customers and no job.

After 15 years at Ferno in Manufacturing support roles I am looking forward to both my children having the chance to attend college. They will be the first ones in my family to ever do so and a large part of that is the steady employment Ferno has given me over the years. Many of the good things in my life have come through my employment here.

Cons

I have read some of the cons that other reviewers have listed. Most of them are minor at best and some of them are lies written by people who are no longer with the company. My take on it is that Ferno is not perfect, but for me it's awful darn good.