Ferrellgas Partners

Updated December 1, 2014
2.8

Ferrellgas Partners CEO Stephen L. Wambold
Stephen L. Wambold

Pros
  • Great Safety Program / Good Pay / Quality Equipment / Ability to make a fair amount of significant decisions for your own operation (in 4 reviews)

• Good benefits, competitive income, 401 k program and a company contribution through employee stocks (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant demand for 60 hours of work to be done in 40 hours (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management criticizes the lower management with very seldom praise if any at all (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Family Feel with Great Benefits

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with Ferrellgas for over 12 years and I can honestly say I look forward to going to work every day. Although this is a large company with locations nationwide our local office feels like a family and that is how the folks at the corporate office have always treated me. I like the "open door" policy that our CEO has and anytime I've ever emailed him I've always gotten a speedy answer. A couple of times over the years the answer came via a personal phone call! It feels good to work for a company that really cares about the employees and their families. The ESOP is one of my favorite things at the company. I didn't think much about it when I started working here, but now I really look forward to the letters that come during the year. Hard to believe I've got that much saved up for retirement without putting in a dime of my own money!

Cons

Always tough working outside in the winter and being on call isn't my favorite thing, but I understand that we are just taking care of our customers. I've eaten my share of cookies from grateful customers during the holiday season!

Keep listening to the employees. No one knows our customers better.

Ferrellgas has always let me put my family and their needs first. Very family oriented company.

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ferrellgas is very involved with the communities they service. They are also very generous with numerous Charity Bobtails that give a portion of the proceeds to different organization. There are several Breast Cancer trucks, an MS truck, Autism truck, multiple Military trucks, KC Crimestoppers truck, Diabetes truck, Leukemia and Lymphoma truck. I have always felt like I have mattered and can make a difference. It feels like one big family.

Cons

Weather dependant to an extent, but with new technologies we are becoming less dependant and more efficient.

Keep listening to your employees and keep the customers needs first. They are the two most important pieces in ensuring we keep our business as successful as it has been in the past.

Great Company

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company that offers a strong compensation package along with a ESOP that is completely funded by the company. As a working parent the flexibility that Ferrellgas offers is a huge plus for my family.

Cons

Retail propane is a weather driven business and in extended periods of above normal temperatures sometimes difficult decisions have to be made. During these times management does what it has to do for its customers, the business and company employees.

Keep doing what you have been doing and don't let potential short term weather issues change your long term course.

Excellent company to work for.

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mgmt is focused on driving results while also making the employee a priority. Advancement opportunities are available for those that are willing to dedicate themselves.

Cons

Weather driven business. Public awareness of propane and the challenge of parity amoungst other segments such as Natural Gas and electricity.

Great Company!

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Advancement opportunities, pay range, ESOP and quality of people are all very respectable. Upper management team is strong and focused on consistency. Senior leaders are not afraid to make decisions that are best for the long term health of the organization and the performing employees of the company. CEO seems to care about the well being of the employees of the company.

Cons

Business decisions hinge on weather patterns, Past High turnover with field management positions lead to inconsistent performance of employees as they lacked a focused direction. Sometimes impatience gets in the way of success (More of a past issue than present).

Keep staying consistent and listen to the folks on the ground.

Good Money, Good Work

Former Employee - Level III Install in Conifer, CO
    Former Employee - Level III Install in Conifer, CO

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of hours, good pay, easy scheduling

Cons

On call, inclement weather, lots of travel between stops

A couple more drivers per district

I had a great experience with Ferrellgas.

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Walterboro, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Walterboro, SC

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Staff are friendly and office setting is nice.

Cons

A lot of multi-tasking is required.

Good company to work for with two distinct seasons.

Former Employee - Various Management
    Former Employee - Various Management

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great training program for new managers. At least back in 2001, and I don't know why they would have gotten away from it since then.

Cons

A lot of management positions were eliminated when the company started centralizing a lot of the business. This provided a challenge to see future growth opportunities.
    If you are in operations, you will go home smelling like ethylmercaptain frequently. You will get so use to the smell that you will not even realize that you have that odor with you.

I enjoy my driving job.

Current Employee - Driver
    Current Employee - Driver

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of overtime in the winter. Steady work. In my area they don't lay off driver's seasonally like lots of other propane companies do. Room for growth if you are dedicated and patient.

Cons

Your work schedule can vary as fat as days and hours of duty. On call rotation is tough but manageable.

Listen to the drivers more.

Lots of opportunity to advance your career and position while enjoying a solid work-life balance

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Corporate office has a fun health and family oriented culture, relaxed dress code, great benefits. Flexibility to work different hours and work from home on occasion. This is the most technologically advanced propane company in the world. Work-life balance is excellent.

Cons

There is a bit of silo mentality that exists between corporate departments. Bonuses are dependent upon total company performance which hinges on cold winters and/or low product cost, warm winters with high product cost have resulted in layoffs.

Keep up the great work.

Ferrellgas Partners Photos

A Ferrellgas Driver delivers propane.
A Ferrellgas Employee helps a Customer on the phone.
Ferrellgas propane delivery truck.

+ Add Photo