www.ferris.edu

David L. Eisler

Everyone is very Expendable

Former Employee - Graduate Admissions Representative in Big Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Graduate Admissions Representative in Big Rapids, MI

I worked at Ferris State University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked in an administrative support role so it was fairly easy work. Most of the people I worked with were nice and easy to get along with.

Cons

Office Politics, the powers that be like to treat students poorly and than ask them for donations as soon as they graduate. Good luck with that.

If management wants to increase donations from alumni they should reevaluate how they treat students while they are there.

Not the ideal place to work, even for a university cafeteria.

I worked at Ferris State University part-time

Pros

Flexible work hours, work around school schedule. Close to campus, walking distance from many of the dorms. Extremely easy to get in, no interview, just have to fill out some paperwork.

Cons

Often drama because most employees are college students. Management is not very helpful and often in a bad mood, tend to play favorites and sometimes rude to the student employees. Boring and often tedious work. No room for advancement, no raises, pay is not what it should be for the workload. Minimum wage unless you are a student supervisor. Often stressful. Strict rule for a cafeteria, must wear black shirt underneath work coat, no painted nails, no facial piercings, only two piercings allowed on ears, no earrings larger than a dime. Even if you are not working with customers. Have to wear this hideous black hat with flames that tends to get in the way. Their motto: "Breaks are a privilege." Yes, you may work 6 hours and not get a break. Occasionally have screw-ups when it comes to switching hours with other students. Even if someone signs off that they are taking your shift it's possible you'll still get blamed if they don't show up. They're organization needs work, too. They still called me for a week after I quit asking why I wasn't at work. You think they'd write it down somewhere that I no longer worked there.

Be less strict, it's a college cafeteria. Most of the people who see the workers are other college students. Also, treat all employees fairly, no favorites, and maybe act like you actually like being at work.

Something to give me extra spending money.

Former Employee - Student Computer Technician in Big Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Student Computer Technician in Big Rapids, MI

I worked at Ferris State University

Pros

They put school first in most instances and give you time for homework and classes. Also, conveniently located between classes.

Cons

Treated like a student at the job. Don't feel respected, nor do you feel like the supervisors or managers deserve respect.

It'd be nice to treat student employees more fairly. Too much favoritism between supervisors and managers to really get any work done.

Computer Support Technician - Student

Current Employee - Student Computer Technician in Big Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Student Computer Technician in Big Rapids, MI

I have been working at Ferris State University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, prioritizes school, and some autonomy.

Cons

Unsupported work place by upper management. Minimum wage, lack of respect, and training.

Fair pay, respect, and not allowing employees to get away with doing a bad job.

Ok but could be more enjoyable if people worked together

Current Employee - Equipment Manager in Big Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Equipment Manager in Big Rapids, MI

I have been working at Ferris State University

Pros

Great hours, and lots of vacation. Great people to talk to and very easy to get settled in at your position

Cons

Low pay, lots of inter department drama and mass confusion. Plenty of crazy budget cuts along with many people looking to point fingers for it

Make management salary higher while scanning employees better to have better workers. Adjust budget to compensate for athletic teams and funding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Big Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Big Rapids, MI

I have been working at Ferris State University

Pros

Some managers are flexible and respectful regarding work/home time.

Cons

Not paid what you're worth.

Promote individuals to supervisor ONLY when they have the aptitude to lead and manage.

Very supportive of student internship development.

I have been working at Ferris State University

Pros

Very supportive of internship development and benefits.

Cons

The funding/budgetary model is broken. You are not rewarded for efforts or substantial growth in internship numbers.

Support those who want to grow the program. Reward positive behavior vs. settling for mediocrity.

Good position for a full time student

I worked at Ferris State University

Pros

Flexible with hours. Got to choose my own hours

Cons

Can be stressful work environment

Williams Auditorium

I worked at Ferris State University

Pros

Getting to work during different performances and events is a lot of fun. I enjoy the theatre in general which is a major added benefit of being able to work there.

Cons

Hours are inconsistent due to schedule of events.

Faculty

Current Employee - Faculty in Big Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Faculty in Big Rapids, MI

I have been working at Ferris State University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Focused engineering, technology curriculums. Technology faculty have significant industrial experience and not just academic experience. Teaching focus to pass on the profession. Big Rapids is a good rural community vs congested metro life.

Cons

Focused engineering, technology curriculums tend to make people overly protective of their "turf". Too myopic sometimes. Lately, administration is changing university focus in a direction away from a career focus and more to political correctness, liberal arts, and general education.

Administration is changing university focus in a direction away from a career focus and more to political correctness, liberal arts, and general education.