Festival Foods

3.4

Mark Skogen

Good place to work

I worked at Festival Foods full-time

Pros

Good work culture, positive environment. Hires quality people focusing on integrity. Great benefits other than health insurance such as reimbursement for college and health clubs. Very involved in local communities.

Cons

Not enough FT employees, open on Holidays, upper management can be out of touch with store employees. Not enough middle management communication.

Spend more time listening to employees, provide better solutions for grievances and allow more time for store to store communications between departments.

You'll hate yourself.

Current Employee - Frozen/Dairy Clerk in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Frozen/Dairy Clerk in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Festival Foods part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a young guy, it's alright because you're on your feet the whole time and you get to work alongside coworkers.

Cons

The wages aren't competitive don't fall for that, management has no idea what they are doing. Find something else.

Train people on power equipment faster, it makes the job way more efficient.

It was a great place to start out for a high school student with no experience

Former Employee - Front-end Manager in Marshfield, WI
    Former Employee - Front-end Manager in Marshfield, WI

I worked at Festival Foods part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are very flexible with scheduling for students. they are more than willing to work with you and meet your scheduling needs.

Cons

It is difficult to get full time. Even more so to get full time that is consistent. Unless you are in a management position, be prepared to have some random shifts.

Consistent hours are important. It is better to get people interested in full-time to be cross trained in multiple departments, rather than giving them part time shifts for 7-days in a week.

Good experience overall

Current Employee - Cashier in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Cashier in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Festival Foods part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really friendly co-workers
    Fair compensation
    Somewhat flexible with hours
    Management shows appreciate for employees
    Very easy to move up into management positions, especially for young people
    Good mix of adults, college students and high schoolers - which can help and hurt scheduling

Cons

Have to buy your own uniform
    Sticklers when it comes to calling in sick
    Secret evaluations done which is kind of creepy. I guess it helps keep you on your toes and make sure you're always doing the right thing
    Customer service can be hard and this company you always have to smile and be nice even if someone is super rude to you

"The Plane is coming"

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Eau Claire, WI
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Eau Claire, WI

I worked at Festival Foods part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It is a nice clean store
    I enjoyed shopping at Festival Foods
    There are friendly people

Cons

Festival Foods is a a boys club. There are very few women in upper management. The conservative political views of the owners are subtle but, apparent. There is a high level of favouritism. I worked at Festival through college and a few years beyond that, I had some of my worst management experiences to date. I felt undervalued, underpaid, and ignored. I still regard working for Festival as one of the low points in my life. Festival Foods likes to tell you constantly how amazing they treat you. I guess for the area it's okay, but I have worked for other companies since, and Festival is not remarkable at all. There is a kiss the CEOs butt policy and when he flies into town to visit, people scramble around saying "The Plane is coming, The Plane is coming." It is ridiculous to ask people who earn barely over minimum wage to purchase their uniforms. Especially when the uniform design is quite expensive. If a company really cared about their workers as much as they pride themselves in doing, this could be provided. They prey on two types of people, college students who are temporary high quality workers who will work for lower pay during their course work, and people who do not think outside the box and will just do as told and kiss the bosses butt long term.

Great place to work and make a career for yourself!

I have been working at Festival Foods full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Festival is an excellent place to work and make a career for yourself. As long as you work hard, the opportunities are endless. The culture is awesome here, we definitely like to have fun. We have "pie in the face" contests to raise money for United Way, we get to dress up for Halloween, and Festival's reputation is great.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons.

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Festival Foods part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working here. They are very flexible in scheduling - will give you plenty of hours if you need it and vice versa if you need off. The people were the best part about the job - very friendly and approachable management. I enjoyed my time working here and learned a lot about great customer service. If you work hard there are opportunities to move up in the company.

Cons

Salary was not great for me - but it balanced with the flexibility of the job.

Are we becoming Roundys?

Current Employee - Meat Clerk
    Current Employee - Meat Clerk

I have been working at Festival Foods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some very dedicated employees I've come to know and respect

Cons

Instead of promoting from within it seems to be the common practice to just hire an employee from outside the company, a failing competitor. My boss hires almost everyone from where he used to work. It is no wonder that being
    highly qualified for advancement, I keep getting passed over for external candidates because of the manager's desire to hire all his former coworkers and friends. I got a superb review but no further compensation and when I brought up my desire to be counted as a serious candidate for advancement I was told about a few minor problems coworkers may have had in the past. Dress code: Even Roundy's doesn't tell you how you can look to the extent that they do here. Various coworkers in the store are rude and visibly unhappy. The company tries to motivate by having huddles to the extreme where they are only inconveniences to getting work done. The values they try to instill most often seem to sound like greed principles. The thing I cannot get over is the toxicity of work environment and what is allowed to go on and be said. I've been out and out lied to by management about their intentions for my placement. Favoritism and hiring friends has gotten this store to be untrustworthy in my opinion. Why are we hiring everyone from our competitor mainly?

There needs to be less of you

Great at first towards the end the High School attitudes got old. The smiling faces is just a cover.

Current Employee - M-C in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - M-C in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Festival Foods full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

5% discount, benefits could be better, dollars for students is a good thing if you are young. Its also a great place to work if you are retired and need part-time work. Department managers are understanding and kind for the most part when it comes to life's problems. Writing schedules, taking vacations and all that are fine. 5 years ago I would have told anyone and everyone that working there was great.

Cons

Upper Management Leadership is terrible. They want you to take 'ownership' and act like an owner but that really doesn't exist. The Culture is based on "servant leadership". The uppers dont lead and they definitely do not serve. They hired a "director of talent acquisitions". What does that mean? Finding talent for a growing company is a must, right? The troubling thing is that they hired this person from a competitor. So...who does this director hire? They hire managers and upper managers (friends and buddies) from this other failing company. Typically these people coming into a company should embrace the "Festival culture." That is not happening. They are bringing that corporate culture to Festival Foods. So if you work there or are getting a job there be ready to brown nose. You dont move up that ladder if you don't with this company. Dept. Managers do play favorites. Dont get sick or be late for work. They have a points system. If you are late for any number of minutes you get points, once you receive 10, you are immediately dismissed and no longer an employee.

Festival Foods is a great company built by the Skogens. The culture is getting watered down by the hiring of managers (especially upper managers) from competitors that dont seem to be embracing the "Festival Boomerang" Culture. You might be managing but if you treat your workers badly, by showing favoritism, it will be hard for you to succeed. The company will just turn into another grocery store in a number of years if it stays on its current path. The culture and values are fine, just practice what you preach.

Bad Experience

Former Employee - Cashier in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Festival Foods part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with (except management) can be fun to work with. Break room is nice.

Cons

Hard to advance in the company. After 4 years, I went from Bagger, to Cart Runner, to Cashier. I wanted more, but wasn't able to even switch departments. They also have a hard dress code and very strict points policy (late, sick days, etc). Management take their jobs way too seriously. They don't pay very well at all, and it's hard to get raises.

Increase the employee discount to at least the tax rate. Also, find more growth for employees, and don't act like jerks when it comes to sick days.

Festival Foods Photos