Fhfa

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great Future

ProsGood management team, nice benefits, smart culture

ConsSometimes the work is slow

This agency functions poorly.

ProsSalaries are on the high side compared with other financial regulators. Benefits are generous. Work of the agency is fascinating and has the potential to be groundbreaking. Much of the staff is genuinely friendly.

ConsSome individual salaries are inexplicably. Promotions and salary increases are difficult to obtain without threatening to leave or ingratiating oneself as a sycophant. Structure is very siloed and executives hoard important information from each other and from subordinates. Individual agendas predominate over a unified mission.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't have confidence in someone, tell them. Enforce information sharing among and within offices. Process regularity must be practiced at the highest levels if other execs and offices are expected to conform. Administration by selective exception discourages regularity. Reduce crises by refusing to adhere to artificial deadlines when timing has become compressed. Encourage developmental assignments in which staff in one office can be leveraged in another office and learn more about the agency's work.

Great Opportunity

Strategy Intern (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunity to learn the real estate industry

ConsNot enough learning opportunity for an intern

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Finance Intern

Finance Intern (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsFlexible internship schedule. Great benefits for full time employee.

ConsNot much financial valuation work

Great Summer Internship

Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThis is a great opportunity for aspiring economists to gain some experience. The work is interesting and you get a great look at the kind of work that economic regulators do. The hours are very reasonable and the pay is pretty good for a summer internship. Additionally, public transport is paid for. And field trips during working hours!

ConsThere is some grunt work involved (which is true of any summer internship). They don't really push you to be innovative or creative, but that's also true of most summer internships. The hiring process is a joke; there was a one-week application window and I had to pester the HR people for ages just to get an acknowledgement that they received my application. The amount of paperwork required is enormous; by contrast, my current full-time private sector position required two signatures.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the hiring system, and allow interns to list a preference of departments to work in.

Great place to work! But the people..

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-Great way to work in public service
    -They are doing important and interesting work
    -Technology is superior

ConsSome of dumbest and laziest people I have ever had the opportunity to encounter. Most (yes, most) are just collecting a government paycheck and have no clue how to actually do their jobs or even what the actual mission of the agency is.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd some fresh thought providers to your workforce. Just accepting transfers/burnouts from other agencies is not the way to create a top class agency.

Good internship experience. Decent pay.

Intern (Former Employee)

Pros-Good salary for an intern
    -Field trips around DC
    -Free metro fare

Cons-Long internship
    -Not very structured program
    -Some interns may be isolated from other interns depending on their department

Great benefits and training opportunities, but lack of vision and limitations on internal advancement

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood place to get your foot in the door for financial regulatory work. Compensation and benefits are very good, and the work environment is nice.

ConsLike other Federal agencies, you have a lot of people who aren't going anywhere, and are content to remain where they are, which limits upward mobility. Management is still trying to figure out exactly what kind of agency FHFA (formed in 2008) should be, and there is no clear vision for the future. Has the potential to be a top-tier financial regulator, but not as it currently exists.

OK but Should be Better

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsSalaries and Benefits are exceptional.
    Employer Paid Dental and Vision Coverage. Larger than average Agency contribution to health insurance premiums.
    Challenging and Rewarding Work

ConsWeaknesses Among Executive Leadership
    Overlapping and uncertain responsibilities
    Inadequate accountability or transparency in decision making
    Cultural differences among staff from different agencies have never adequately been addressed

Advice to Senior ManagementReward good employees
    Deal with problem employees
    Involve more diverse talent for analysis and decisions on critical issues

Bank Examiner at FHFA

Bank Examiner (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsTravel is minimal compared to other regulatory agencies.

ConsPeople have a "better than thou attitude" and training is nearly non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncorporate a training program for ALL!

Worked for Fhfa? Contribute to the Community!