Fhlb Chicago

Updated Jun 7, 2014

Matt Feldman

Lifer!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThis place is great. Your co-workers care about you, your manager is always looking out for you, and the Executive Team really cares about the employees and building a bank that is strong financially and ethically.

ConsThere are employees who still hold on to the old ways of doing things and refuse to change with the times. Technology speed and efficiency could be improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementMatt is doing a great job. Roger is a wonderful leader as well.Pull the reigns back on Audit a bit and things will really be great.

Very political. Management is top to bottom.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPay and benefits. Health care is very good. In Aon building

ConsLack of upward mobility. Senior management doesn't trust each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle managers and under not listened to.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Communication Intern

Communication Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsEveryone was very helpful and treated you as part of the team.

ConsThere were no problems at all it was a great experience.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

ProsGreat people and outstanding benefits

Consbad hours and high stress environment.

Mostly good people, but a lot of politics

ProsGood people, lots of team environment

Constoo many buzzwords, too many long unstructured meetings

Advice to Senior ManagementCut down on the amount of meetings or at least make them about specific achievable goals

Good

ProsGood benefits, good work-life balance, and good technology environment.

ConsLimited advancement and promotion opportunities.

overall review of Federal Home Loan Bank

Paralegal (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNice people work at the office

ConsLittle or no engagement in new ideas

Great Company

ProsThe Bank offers great benefits, a good work-life balance, and the potential to move around to different departments. In my four years at the Bank, technology has been upgraded, departments are synergizing, and the customer has become the focus of business goals. The Bank's volunteer organization is growing and providing more ways to be philanthropic at work.

ConsFHLBC is not a typical bank, so those looking for retail experience won't find it here. The IT department is on a different floor, so there is less interaction with some of the most important people in the building.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to grow capital and focus on the member banks.

Great Benefits

Senior Risk Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe FHLBC is a great employer with amazing benefits. While the bank is small in employee size, it is huge in volume of clientele so you are exposed to many different facets of the mortgage banking industry. The salary is competitive with industry norms. However, the Benefits are unheard of... they pay for going back to school and getting your MBA and they also have a pension system for all full time employees. I didn't know places like this still existed.

ConsAs the bank's purpose is providing liquidity to the mortgage banking industry, you won't be exposed to other types of banking. As mortgage/wholesale banking isn't going anywhere though, this isn't really that horrible of a "con"...

good place to work

Capital Markets Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prossmall company so hard work gets noticed. good work life balance. great location within the city.

Conspay is lower than the market rate. securitized products has stalled leading to worries about the bread and butter of the company.

Advice to Senior Managementincrease pay and provide cross training to develop talented employees

Worked for Fhlb Chicago? Contribute to the Community!