Fidelis Care Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014

Patrick J. Frawley

Pros
  • The Fidelis Care work environment is challenging, supportive, and fast paced (in 8 reviews)

• Good starting pay , Good benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Company growth - it is rapid and we are experiencing growing pains (in 4 reviews)

• Some departments work long hours, but that's improving as the company continues to hire more employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good employer, mission oriented

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rego Park, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rego Park, NY

I worked at Fidelis Care full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work. I was there for 12 years. Their salaries are par with the industry standard. They have career advancement opportunities for people who are professional and willing to go above and beyond (though it is a class/elitist system of promotion). Good benefits. Quite possibly the best insurance company in New York State. Integrity is key with them. They can draw water out of a rock in terms productivity. They are mission oriented, specially under the direction of their former CEO.

Cons

Their time off policy for sick time is absolutely ridiculous. Management in certain departments need training. Their compliance department is completely out of control and functions with impunity. Since the loss of their former CEO (Mark Lane), the Executive and Upper Management Staff is really proving to be disappointing and detrimental to them. Their customer service department staff is poorly treated and unappreciated. They place too much emphasis on Degrees and Diplomas and tend to ignore the less educated but more proficient and experienced staff members in favor of class distinctions.

Relax, people would respect you more if you think and speak of them with more compassion, patience and understanding. Stay Mission focused and will continue to grow and succeed.

It was an experience

I worked at Fidelis Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mission of the company is great and leadership care for the population being served.

Cons

Pay is low. No development of leaders.

Great place to work. Fast paced environment.

I have been working at Fidelis Care full-time

Pros

Fidelis is a great company to work for. The people all work together as a team and everyone is straight forward.

Cons

Being agile enough to shift what you are doing on a weekly basis.

As a new employee of Fidelis Care, I find it refreshing to work for a company that is growing vs. shrinking/laying off.

Current Employee - Human Resources in Rego Park, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Rego Park, NY

I have been working at Fidelis Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like the fact that it is not too far from where I live, my ideas are considered and I can be apart of a team making a difference by offering suggestions and being involved in projects that add value.

Cons

Every company has challenges. I would quote Ghandi and say "be apart of the change you want to see". Be open with your management in a professional manner, point out opportunities and continue to find solutions to challenges.

We all spend a great deal of time at work, let's be positive about the growth and success we have seen (i.e. 1 million members) and continue to look ahead at the future, try new things and continue to offer opportunities for dialogue amongst colleagues. It goes along way to building collaboration and improving retention.

Purpose in my Career

Current Employee - Marketing Supervisor in Getzville, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Supervisor in Getzville, NY

I have been working at Fidelis Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a Marketing Supervisor, I feel personally committed to and in touch with our Mission. I am in the field and enjoy being able to personally impact the lives of those who need health insurance in the communities I serve. I love the independence of working in the field and the safety net of my team when I need them. Work hours are flexible which I find to be a great benefit to myself and my staff! It is great to experience a wide variety in job duties and work environment from administrative tasks to on site visits. The best part is knowing I made a difference in someone's life.

Cons

Growing pains. The company is growing rapidly which is good but produces unfortunate side effects. As a Supervisor, I feel disconnected from the rest of the employees in my department. Information is not readily accessible or available. This should change in time as we all settle in to a changing environment. I am encouraged that there is a renewed interest in improving communication interdepartmentally. Compensation could be better. As a salaried employee my workload has significantly increased but pay has not.

Communication and patience are key. As work loads increase to accommodate membership growth, it is important that employees are kept informed so they can feel like they are a part of the growth and not like it is happening around them. Many employees have been working overtime for about a year. Patience is needed as some are giving their all every day just to keep up with daily tasks. Thank you to those who were involved and gave all employees a "Free Friday" this summer to enjoy the day off on company paid time. It was a sign of employee appreciation and gave many a much needed break!

Clear expectations...decent people...a mission to be proud of

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rego Park, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rego Park, NY

I have been working at Fidelis Care full-time

Pros

I've been treated with respect and, at my level of experience, my "best practices" suggestions are at least given consideration; conflicts never "personal" but focus on the facts; I'm proud to say I represent the company.

Cons

Administrative processes are a bit archaic at times...too many "trees killed' due to reliance on paper forms; a bit too slow in considering changes; normal "growth spurt" issues but nothing onerous or unusual

Continue listening to input from employees

It feels like your part of something BIG! It's Exciting to be part of this.

Current Employee - Director, IT in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Director, IT in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Fidelis Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy working for a company that has a mission and its goal is to improve the quality of life. I have seen so many positive changes in the last year, it feels like my voice as an employee is heard and considered which seems rare nowadays. I feel I'm compensated for the job I do, its also nice to have a CIO that "get's it" for a change, mostly because I know he has or at least understands what it takes to do my job also in the same regard the entire C-level Leadership team is very approachable, more so then I have seen at other places of employment, they are engaged and perform at a minimum quarterly updates with all staff.

The company keep growing and I feel that we have a positive future.

I've read a lot of negative reviews on here, if these are older then 2 years then the atmosphere of the current company is completely changed, I also feel that a lot of the other more recent negative reviews are kinda left field and I am not seeing or agreeing with what they see.

Cons

Fidelis is not a sweat shop, however it is fast-paced environment, there is no shortage of work and if you have a difficult time managing priorities or work you can see this as a significant challenge. Some of the process are kind of crazy and seem to be hitched to a smaller company methodology instead of an enterprise.

The perks are not what you would expect from a health care company, (no hot-dining; shower-gym facility, gym-discount, etc) however the company compensation and benefit program are good.

As a health care company it would be nice to see us have access to a shower facility or a gym like other plans and non-profits/charities do. Also consider adding Long-Term incentives (Bonus/additional PTO) for continued retention. Besides that we have a great team and the future looks bright. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Headed in the right direction

Current Employee - Employee In the IT Department in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Employee In the IT Department in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Fidelis Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative environment if you have the courage to share your concerns. Rapid growth in IT in an effort to staff the department appropriately to keep up with the demands of the ever growing organization. Great co-workers. Most want to do the right thing. The organization has changed dramatically since I joined, and continues to improve.

Cons

There is a lot of work. Prioritization processes are just beginning (Finally! Good stuff!)

Stay the course. Don't be detracted by those that don't want to be part of the solution.

Advice to others that may be considering joining the Fidelis team: If you're up to help improve the environment through constructive criticism and collaboration, make the jump - you won't be disappointed! If you want to whine to your coworkers about how bad everything is, please stay where you are.

AWESOME!

Current Employee - Management in Getzville, NY
    Current Employee - Management in Getzville, NY

I have been working at Fidelis Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay, open management style of Exec Leadership is awesome, benefits, awesome facility, people are appreciated, ability to have fun even with tremendous workload, CIO has complete open door policy and values people coming in to talk to him

Cons

Not a bad thing, but we have a lot of work...seems to be a great problem to have as other companies are downsizing, we are adding staff

Keep up the good work...we will get there!!!

I'm happy enough working here

I have been working at Fidelis Care full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pleasant and professional coworkers in all departments, with very few exceptions. Able to do good work within my position as well as for members. Reasonable (though sometime necessarily demanding) deadlines and expectations. Company growth is good with continuous plans to expand so no need to worry that, given the status of competitors, we'll be in business for a long time to come. Professional atmosphere/ good office environment: equipment kept current (telecommunications, telephones, software, computer hardware). I like the statewide presence and ability to work easily with staff in other offices,

Cons

Management styles differ between departments - some more flexible than others for leadership, opportunties for advancement, recognizing workers and time off, which leads to more dedicated workers. Even with advanced technology, communications within company is still lacking, many times with HR policies and procedures being difficult to access when needed. (HR frequently doesn't respond quickly to questions or have definitive answers.) There are signs of improvement, though - having been here almost 10 years, there have been many positive changes to improve (and showing potential of improving) these cons. I'm stil here so obviously able to work with the cons.

Continue to improve HR department so they can better serve employees on day to day issues. Responding to survey concerns are nice in the long run, but being able to get a specific issue resolved quickly and accurately is more important to individual employees NOW. This means dealing quickly with PTO issues, responding to every employee who applies for a new position within the company promptly, directing to appropriate outside vendors for insurance and other issues, etc. Even receiving confirmation that an employee's concern has been received and is being addressed would be better "communication" and a courtesy that is not always offered.

A little courtesy from more directors and executive management would go a long way to improving overall morale. Acknowledging people (just say hello) when in common areas is a nice gesture whether you're in the office you usually work in and when visiting other offices. (Employees who may or may not work directly for you are still likely know that you are in a high ranking position.) We're all busy, but it's not nice to feel like you're being ignored, and this is a simple way build a better work environment. Some managers are better than others in achieving that goal, and isnt being nice to each other part of our mission overall? And back to HR concerns, maybe some managers (many who are promoted within the company) should be taking manditory training in these areas, not just for policies and procedures?

Overall, these are the biggest concerns about working for Fidelis Care. That's why I continue to work here.