Fidelis Care

www.fideliscare.org

Fidelis Care Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Patrick J. Frawley

Pros
  • Good starting pay , Good benefits(in 5 reviews)

• Pay, benefits, work environment, IT investments and if you want to be a developer lots and lots of opportunity(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management slow to make changes to make company more modern and competitive(in 5 reviews)

• Some departments work long hours, but that's improving as the company continues to hire more employees(in 4 reviews)

Great Company

Marketing Supervisor (Current Employee) Albany, NY

ProsGreat internal promotions - company has come a long way in the 8 years that I have been here.

ConsNo really any that come to mind. Salary could always be a little be closer to industry average, but I feel that they have taken steps to improve that over the last two years.

Administrative Associate

Administrative Associate (Former Employee) Rego Park, NY

ProsBenefits are good. Very clean office. The company has grown.

ConsVery hard to commute from another borough. No recognition for the lower level employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou pay the wrong employees too much.

The IT Management is a joke

Developer III (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsPay is good, the CIO will tell you what you want to hear

ConsWell, I have been with Fidelis for over 10 years, the beginning it was a wonderful place with a wonderful mission. Now is the by far the worst place I have ever worked. The Video is a joke, the CIO said when he came that he wanted Fidelis IT to be the best place to work, he promises you everything and delivers on nothing. He has no credibility with the IT team. The CIO and the management team does not care about there employees, they demand you work 24x7x365. We were forced to work on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day until 2:00am, not even a thank you. If this is what you want then this is the place for you. Over the last year or so there have been many people who literally walk off the job, just can't take the lies, intimidation, and the CIO does not care. I can't wait to get out of this place.
    DO NOT WORK THERE UNLESS YOU LIKE TO BE ON UNEMPLOYMENT

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CIO should move on and bring in someone who can do what the video says.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stressful ...... and thats putting it mildly!!!!!!

Don't Know Anymore (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI get a pay check!

ConsMgmnt is petty and childish. They turn personal issues into work related issues. Not knowledgeable for their position. They get together to lie to get someone fired. HR and Compliance are useless. This company needs a UNION!!!!!!! Management are a bunch of bullies who will do whatever they can to get at someone. The training provided is horrible. The CEO is far from a leader and the heads of all departments (CFO, COO etc) have their heads in a cloud thinking they know their dept and what's going on when in reality they DONT WANT TO KNOW? I regret coming to work in such a hostile work environment. Thank you "MANAGEMENT" for teaching me that I cant trust any of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a managers course. Learn what what you can and can't do. Dont let your title get to your head. You may be smart but you are NO MANAGER!!!!!!

When will they learn

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI was proud to work at Fidelis.... then the CEO passed away and ......

Consthe company has gone down hill ever since. The current management team is way out of touch with the us. There was a management meeting where they went over the employee survey, then there was a discussion on communication... and the CEO and COO get up and leave.... what a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne million member lunch is an absolutely waste of time. You wan to show appreciation..... how about a real raise for once....

Fidelis Care Manager responded to this review

Jun 11, 2014

We would like to take this opportunity to clarify some of the comments in this post, in order to provide the full context and a more factual representation. The monthly management meetings provide an ... More

Fidelis was a great place to work at... 5 years ago.

Developer III (Former Employee) Getzville, NY

ProsThe Mission. Seriously, just the Mission. Knowing I was contributing to helping those in need made the last couple of years tolerable.

ConsMgmt is VERY disassociated with the level of frustration at the staff level, or, they know and dont care. If you love working 10 to 12 hours a day and spending your nights and weekends on your laptop dialed into work then Fidelis is for you. But just dont expect hard work and 24/7 availability to guarantee an upwardly mobile career path. The mind set in IT is you are a replaceable cog in a machine, nothing more. Promotions seem to be as random as a shotgun blast pattern. Those that worked hard and deserve them dont get them and those that complain about their position and salary to their bosses bosses boss seem to get them.. so if you like to complain and compare your work and salary to your coworkers to gain that incremental salary increase, again, fidelis is for you. All that was bad and disfunctional at Healthnow has been hired as IT mgmt at Fidelis.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your staff as human beings with lives just as important and valued as yours. They succeed in spite of you so incent them to stay. Knock off the preaching from the ivory towers and walk amongst the people you affect daily.

Successful, proactive, fast-paced company with a mission to serve others = personal and professional rewards

Director Level Management (Current Employee)

ProsFidelis Care has a strong Statewide presence with a regional and local commitment. Because of the mission, Fidelis Care's approach is unique in the marketplace. When other plans may leave an area for financial considerations, Fidelis Care reinforces its commitment to serve members and the surrounding communities. The Fidelis Care work environment is challenging, supportive, and fast paced. When you're caring for the health of more than one million members in a highly regulated environment, there is a high degree of accountability for all the right reasons; it's not micro-management. Health care is a dynamic, rapidly changing environment, and Fidelis Care is the place to be if you want to advance your career, work with great colleagues, and make a difference in people's lives.

ConsIt's a demanding environment with high expectations. There can be long hours - particularly in some departments. Expanding career pathways for current employees is an area of opportunity. This will help contribute to staff retention.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to explore/implement progressive initiatives that provide employees with access to the technology, resources, and training they need to grow with the company.

Very poor experience

Anonymous (Former Employee) Getzville, NY

ProsMission is very laudable and is a driver for good people to want Fidelis care to succeed.

ConsYou are expected to work at least 60 hrs per week and on every holiday. Do that, not be allowed to take any time off for your probationary time period, receive no complaints time and then they go out of their way to make excuses which they don't even have to tell your because your are on probation to get rid of you before the end of your probation time period. Do yourself all a favor and do not take a permanent job here unless you are jobless and have no other alternative.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour are not supportive of your people and do not gather information on people's performance from anyone other than the manager that is questionable. Your will not succeed as your tarnished reputation in Buffalo will long surpass your life expectancy there.

Rapid Growth Rapid Change Equals Opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsDedicated team, nice office environment, great benefits and comp package, engaged senior management, positive technology changes and much needed updates finally occurring, knowledgeable staff, company growth. Fidelis is poised for continued growth. The mission is reiterated from the top down. Communication to all employee levels occurs on a regular consistent basis. Highly Visible "C" level team. Many new positions created to support growth. Some have said high turn-over - every company has turn over, but it has been a long time since so many new positions have been created in a New York based company.

ConsCompany growth - it is rapid and we are experiencing growing pains. Some tenured employees are resistant to change; throw up road blocks to moving foward. Hear a lot of reasons why things can't be done versus how we can accomplish things. Technology was not kept up to date, has lead to end user frustration. Some processes are more cumbersome than need to be. Proper planning not always done, some think there is an "easy button". I am not micro managed, and don't necessarily think the "C" or SR. team does, but could understand how that is perceieved. They are some of the most highly engaged compared to other organizations. Some HR policies are outdated. Work life balance is challenge in some areas. Many new positions created as a result to support the growth and work in IT, Finance, Claims, Marketing etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave patience, be supportive, understand Rome wasn't built in a day. Empower your leaders at all levels to make decisions. Explore and benchmark additional HR policies to enhance comp/ben package. Continue focus on brand recognition, techology and people.

A Truly Rewarding Job...for the Right People

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSalary and benefits are above average. Facilities are clean and well-maintained.

The appeal of Fidelis Care comes down to the mission: to help those who need quality, affordable health insurance. This means that executives expect the best of employees and, if you can keep up with the challenges and demands, you'll find the job very rewarding. It's not for everyone: if you want to sit at your desk all day and not stress out too much, there's probably another job out there for you. But if you want to do something important and make a difference--even at a company as large as Fidelis Care--you're not going to find a better job anywhere.

ConsIt's demanding and excellence is expected. Some departments work long hours, but that's improving as the company continues to hire more employees. Additional benefits like a robust work-from-home policy could help.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to support your employees and they will continue to deliver excellence. Look for new ways to reward their efforts.

Worked for Fidelis Care? Contribute to the Community!