Fidelity Investments

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Fidelity Investments Chairman and CEO Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III

Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III

277 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A very different company than the one I joined...

Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee)

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPeople are very bright and not disfunctionally competitive or political (at least in comparison to other places I've worked). I've found co-workers to be collaborative. Having the right/necessary resources are never an issue in terms of getting your work done.

ConsThe culture is extremely relationship based and conflict averse. All decisions are made by consensus so execution sometimes lags. Many roles deemed to be "non-strategic" are being moved out of New England

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent with the workforce regarding future growth plans. Continue the good work being performed to improve employee engagement.

Fidelity offers a wealth of opportunities and potential.

Senior Executive Secretary (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 8 years

ProsVery good pay and benefits. Opportunities for growth. Tired of your current position? You can move on without bad feelings and still maintain your seniority. Interesting and enjoyable co-workers for the most part.

ConsCommuting from Metro West into Boston is like working a 2nd job. Work-life balance is something they try to say they are all about. I suppose it depends on your position. As a cube dweller.... flexibility is not really an option. Constant change in roles and management hierarchy is difficult for some people but is the culture at Fidelity. You learn to deal with it or move on....

Advice to Senior ManagementStrive for a better work-life balance. Commuting is a bear. Three hours of my day, every working day is earmarked for commuting. Allow non-managers more flexibility in telecommuting and remote work schedules. I find that I am able to get just as much or more done from my kitchen table than I do some days sitting at my desk after all of the interruptions that are part of daily work life. I would consider this a benefit that really doesn't cost the company any money, and makes for happier employees.

Review

Principal Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood experience, challenging, good location and pay

Consnot too many cons.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good while your young and really flexible

Director (Former Employee)

Prossalary was good
benefits
training
business casual
uh... that's it

Conssenior management (good or really bad) trumps everything
benefits decreased over time
company protected over employees
work you to death
no employee loyalty anymore
MAJOR politiccs

Advice to Senior Managementdon't believe people because of their titles, losers get ahead too
stop saving a buck by moving
recognize longevity and commitment
let's face it, Ned's lost it a long time ago

Challenging work, good people.

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits, profit sharing, salary. The web site for employee benefit materials is very comprehensive and easy to follow. A lot of training is now offered in web format so it's easy to take the training when it is convenient for you.

ConsConstantly moving groups from one site to another. There is a lot of movement to Westlake, Texas for back office operations. There is a job drain out of New England.

I think it's easy to return after leaving, unless you've burned bridges. Many "boomerangs" here.

Asset Management Product Implementation (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRecent reviewer wrote something I disagree with: "Once you are out of the company due to a layoff or job elimination you are pretty much out forever - unless you have a contact manager that will hire you." For "central office" roles (i.e., not branches or phones), as long as you maintain some contacts and don't leave on BAD terms, returning is not that hard.

I was laid off in 2008, and have since worked 3 contracting gigs (Veritude) of 6-12 months, that I found by contacting former colleagues. Returned full-time in 2012. This palce is crawling with "boomerangs" here who have returned, especially after layoffs, either as contarcors or full-time. Some come back as contractors, then are hired back full-time.

Once you learn how to navigate the Fidelity organization, understand the products and major technology challenges, your experience and knowledge are valuable.

All-in compensation is excellent, considering 401(k) match, Profit-Sharing contribution, shares, and other benefits. Salary and bonus only are Ok by industry standards.

ConsSenior management changes and reorgs are difficult as strategic direction/major initiatives can then change.

Different business units often not marching together. Not necessarily in conflict, but not coordinated, with goals not aligned and initiatives that overlap. Overlapping initiatives add to bureacracy as you might need to involve 27 people to get a decision made.

Ramp-up time can be long for people new to Fido. The plus of knowing Fidelity (that helps employees return) is a hurdle for those new to Fido, especially at VP levels and up. Especially navigating the organization/existing relationships, and the peculiarities of mostly-home-grown technology. There's attrition before 2 years, then much less.

Work/life balance difficult in Personal Investing and Workplace Investing...some long hours, at least in "central" or "home office" (which are not limited to Boston - also NH, RI, NC, KY, TX) positions. Asset Management much better for work/life balance - considered "cushy" by other businesses. (I've worked in PI, WI, AM, and others). Don't know about Institutional.

Advice to Senior ManagementAbby needs to move decisively to really established her leadership of Fidelity Financial Services. Many still feel that major decisions must be run through/approved by Ned.

Hectic process but worth it

Software Engineer/Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for less than a year

ProsVery professional culture and great colleagues

ConsHaven't faced anything but since I am coming from a startup I see a lot of audit steps for every process. For eg. in order to get any data permissions you would need to go through a hierarchy. This is actually a pro on how much Fidelity cares about the confidentiality of it's data.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up, give more salaries to new hires

Great Connections

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits and a great network of employees all across the country, willing to listen to employees

ConsNot being able to carry over vacation time seems irrational/encourages employees to use all their vacation days at the end of the year

Good People, Great company, Learning experience . good employer great benefits great 401k matching for great future.

Associate Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than a year

ProsWork in the heart of financial district. you get to learn a lot of financial knowledge and expand your horizon.

Conssame work goes around. Slow scope to grow.

Good place to work

Management Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat long term benefits, collegiate environment, good work, company really cares for customer. The firm is in a very unique and strong position in the financial services industry

ConsAverage compensation (and very slow growth), slow vesting schedule for profit share/contribution matches, bureaucracy

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in talent development at junior levels. Improve career planning and support for associates. Increase speed in decision making and cut red tape

Worked for Fidelity Investments? Contribute to the Community!

Fidelity Investments Videos

Fidelity Investments – Why Work for Us?

Fidelity Investments has a rich and proud history and has grown to become a leading provider of a wide range of services, including investment management, retirement planning, brokerage, and human resources and benefits… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fidelity Investments reviews and ratings in Boston, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fidelity Investments CEO Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III. All 277 reviews posted anonymously by Fidelity Investments employees.