Fidelity Investments

Fidelity Investments Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated Jul 12, 2014

Fidelity Investments Chairman and CEO Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III

Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III

Pros
  • GOOD work-life balance: very rarely expected to work overtime(in 146 reviews)

• Being a privately held company has great benefits as well(in 183 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be tough given OT expectations 55-65 hours per week(in 42 reviews)

• Lot of high level (senior management) politics played in a dirty manner(in 67 reviews)

294 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall Fidelity is a good company to work for, however not all departments are run the same.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFidelity pays well and has great benefits, including generous time off and provides a year-end bonus based on performance. The company also has a year end celebration every year, which is always well done.

ConsUpper management does not always recognize problems that may be in the department. An awful lot of company politics. No cafeteria can make it expensive if you don't bring your lunch.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook beyond the "favorites" and see who is really providing outstanding service.

Bright colleagues but bad manager

Credit Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsExcellent work experience as there were many bright people to work with and many good tech projects ongoing. Trading floor environment was fun.

ConsManager had a problem with bright analysts. There was a culture of good ole boy network

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek more diversity

Good company but lots of bureaucracy

Associate (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsStable family run company, great retirement benefits, investments in future. Folks seem to stay at fidelity for 20 plus years and culture of people leaving the company and coming back which is telling.

ConsStagnant pay, difficult for upward mobility, company feels too big and you are too anonymous at times. No transparency into how decisions are made concerning salary and promotion so difficult to know how to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your productive employees to retain talent.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Prosgood compensation, large company, hard work but it is worth it

Consmay not get noticed due to size

Advice to Senior Managementkeep promoting within

Great place to start career

Account Executive (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Prosgreat place to start career, great benefits, good training

Conslack of middle management focus, branch management turnover, salary much lower than competitors and is always changing

Little to no training

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat colleagues; good working environment

ConsLittle training provided - new staff hired instead.

fun place to work at (software engineer)

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsVery cooperative and exciting environment to work at. It was a tight knit group and everyone got along fine (I did not see too many office politics). Most of my team was located locally and it helped in coordinating with other team members (But later they have moved many jobs out of MA and remote teams may become more common). Hard working and smart employees are encouraged by the sr. management.
    At the division I worked, there was a good life/work balance.

ConsTechnologies are not that cutting edge. They do not want to experiment with latest technologies and prefer their legacy systems.

Great place to work for the long haul

Portfolio Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsWork-Life balance, great pay, exceptional talent

ConsToo much beaurocracy - everyone is answering to someone.

Solid company to work for, but not cutting edge in terms of technology.

Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood benefits, above average pay, great bonuses, stable company. Senior Management is older and mostly promoted from internal groups which shows you can have a long career here.

ConsTechnology groups moved slow to market, used older technologies that legacy systems are based on. Many times there is a mentality that if it's not broke don't fix it, even when systems have the potential for improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to listen to younger employees and try new approaches / technologies

Toxic workplace

Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros401k match, shares if they like you, salary, choices for health insurance

ConsI was told by my manager: "I'm not important, your work is not important, and no one cares about your job". Management by fear and intimidation seems to be status quo. Limited accountability. Fido has a lot of lifers and most of these people are bitter and angry or just plain useless. Talent is not rewarded and failure is not punished.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what you are paid to do and stop treating employees like cattle.

Worked for Fidelity Investments? Contribute to the Community!