Fidelity Investments

Updated Jul 27, 2014

3.4 1,721 reviews

Fidelity Investments Chairman and CEO Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III

Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III

Pros
  • GOOD work-life balance: very rarely expected to work overtime(in 149 reviews)

• Being a privately held company has great benefits as well(in 185 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be tough given OT expectations 55-65 hours per week(in 42 reviews)

• Lot of high level (senior management) politics played in a dirty manner(in 68 reviews)

1,721 Employee Reviews

Great Company

Director (Current Employee) Merrimack, NH

Pros- Personal growth
    - Pay for Performance
    - Strong Leadership
    - Many job opportunities within the company

Cons- Limited movement by leaders between companies
    - Too many senior level individual contributors

Advice to Senior Management- Develop rotational policy for VPs and above
    - Expand leadership training beyond current GMA program

Excellent company

High Net Worth Service (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe company treats its employees very well. Growth potential is always there, if you have the right drive. Coworkers were mostly entertaining and a great resource for moving up in the company

ConsCan be very repetitive. Some variance would be nice. Once you are in a role, it can feel like you get stuck. Expect to be in some roles that are incredibly busy and quite unfulfilling for a while, but you can move on from these lower roles if you really network

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany is great, some people within it are a bit negative. and hard to work with

Good place to work. Company led by a great family, the Johnson, who do things the right way.

Investment Representative (Current Employee)

ProsDecent pay, especially for younger employees who work hard. Great benefits. Ability to move up quick and get experience in many different parts of the financial industry. Amazing training.

ConsGoal and compensation change frequently. Management is constantly focusing on something different. At one time my goals consisted of how much money i brought in, how much went into product (mutual funds, managed accounts, annuities, fixed income), how many referrals i received, how many retirement plans/ income strategies i went through, and so on. It it impossible to do great at everything which means management is always stressing something.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it clear what promotions with be based on. Do not change compensation every year. Make it easier to change career paths.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good first job, but there are drawbacks

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsGood benefits to regular full time and regular part time employees in terms of medical, dental, and vision- the higher coverage plan has a higher cost passed onto the employee. 401k plan available with matching.

ConsIn the Albuquerque site, favoritism runs rampant. Managers play favorites with staff and will ignore employee concerns, this problem extends up to directors as well. Also, Albuquerque is excluded from the profit sharing benefit that ALL OTHER SITES enjoy and pay is low for the job. They will try and convince you the pay is appropriate, however, compared to other call centers it is lower starting by far. To be clear, this is a call center job, while it may have different ways of doing things, metrics are the only thing a manager has to use to grade your performance. If your manager doesn't like you, they can find a number of ways to get rid of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou must listen to your employees when they bring concerns about managers to you. Very often when you do not listen, the message to your employees is that you do not value their time. If you don't value your employees' time they will do the bare minimum and look elsewhere for other employment.

Best Company Ever!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company is employee driven. They bend over backwards for their employees. The theory is happy employees, happy customers...

ConsThere are not any cons to my knowledge.

Senior Management Learning and Development

Learning and Development (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBudgets can be generous. Pay is good. Smart, dedicated employees.

ConsBudget cuts can be austere. Funding of bonus is pathetic.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can afford to fund bonuses at 100%. As is usual, many senior mgt members appear to be unsuited for the job.

Decent pay, good work/life but culture stinks, lack of communication

Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsI worked in IT. My immediate team was nice, the pay was good, and I didn't work every weekend. My job was ok. To do my job took wayyyy longer than it needed to take.

ConsI think the culture is competitive to the point that people don't readily share knowledge. They hide it from each other in order to make themselves look better. That kind of behavior doesn't help a company move forward. They are also way too conservative and never want to take responsibility. Instead, they make decisions by consensus so that no one is to blame if something goes wrong.

Fidelity

Investment Representative (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosdefinately profit sharing and vacacation

Consyour ability to advance depends on your location - could go either way

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are only concerned about management in Boston.

Awesome opportunities being given to CFOs children instead of a wealth of qualified applicants is just plain wrong.

ProsLots of career paths that are offered here. Willing management that lets you explore various avenues. The salary is also competitive.

ConsNepotism. Again, very said that this seems to be a growing issue among big businesses. Individuals at the top swinging their weight.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet's not let nepotism run things. Let human resource do their jobs. That's right.

Emotional rollercoaster thanks to bad program and management

Financial Representative (Former Employee) Merrimack, NH

ProsProfit sharing is 7% after you have been there for 1 year. They will reimburse you for college and even 25% for a new laptop and printer.

ConsDo not believe or support employees. On-boarding managers are unprofessional and condescending.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevise training program for Financial Representative program. It is not normal for 60% of your classes to fail. Properly train managers to be humans beings and not robots.

Worked for Fidelity Investments? Contribute to the Community!