Fidelity Investments

3.4 1,548 reviews

Fidelity Investments Chairman and CEO Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III

Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III

1,548 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great work-life balance - excellent place for employees with family commitments"
    in 115 reviews
  • "Great benefits, competitive pay, great training, opportunities for training"
    in 146 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance can be challenging, decisions from leadership take a long time"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Senior management get promotions faster than middle or lower management"
    in 55 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good for a starting point

Human Resources (Former Employee)
Merrimack, NH

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time

ProsBig company great parking nice facilities benefits and culture . Merrimack offices are close to everything

ConsLayoffs are common. Lots of offshore resourcing and off hours efforts
To support international low cost labor

Advice to Senior ManagementSource locally engage with UNH to develop talent

Over all good organization

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time

ProsLaid back low pressure environment.

ConsNo room for advancement or to develop other skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation needs to be truly performance based.

Information overload!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Durham, NC

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time for less than a year

ProsThe pay is pretty decent, if you come in via a contract you receive weekly pay.

ConsDoesn't not seem to be a whole lot of room for advancement. Although that they'll sell you dream that you could be the next it person.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be more personable.

relationship manager

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time

Prosgreat training, great learning experience

Conslow pay, political, upper management

Advice to Senior Managementpay should be more in line with competition

Great and efficient company. Very pleased so far.

Workplace Planning Guidance Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than a year

ProsTremendous brand-name industry recognition. Even though it's a large Co with a lot of layers of management it's actually very nimble and efficient when it comes to finding solutions for clients' needs and that keeps clients and customers satisfied. The company spends a lot of $$ on innovation and technology and it's refreshing to see how it keeps clients' needs above everything else. Client is #1. Benefits are great: 7% co match in 401k (dollar for dollar) and also a 10% Profit Sharing (on average) after 1 year of service. HSA contributions, plus incentive performance awards are above industry average. The culture is very conservative but they do respect all people no matter the associate's sexual or religious background. Last but not least, the company is very committed to integrity and compliance standards so it stays out of negative headlines and it's extremely well run. It's been a great place for me to work here and I'm very pleased to be part of this organization.

ConsVery large company so it's hard sometimes to get a lot of visibility and may feel lost without proper mentoring.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement more mentoring programs that reach all levels and foster more cooperation and career advice/best practices among all associates and senior management in all divisions. Create more TV Ads campaigns from the employees' "angle"/perspectives to show how passionate associates are to help customers.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Overall review of Fidelity

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat benefits and career opportunities

ConsIt can sometimes be frustrating working for a very large private company

I think it's easy to return after leaving, unless you've burned bridges. Many "boomerangs" here.

Asset Management Product Implementation (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRecent reviewer wrote something I disagree with: "Once you are out of the company due to a layoff or job elimination you are pretty much out forever - unless you have a contact manager that will hire you." For "central office" roles (i.e., not branches or phones), as long as you maintain some contacts and don't leave on BAD terms, returning is not that hard.

I was laid off in 2008, and have since worked 3 contracting gigs (Veritude) of 6-12 months, that I found by contacting former colleagues. Returned full-time in 2012. This palce is crawling with "boomerangs" here who have returned, especially after layoffs, either as contarcors or full-time. Some come back as contractors, then are hired back full-time.

Once you learn how to navigate the Fidelity organization, understand the products and major technology challenges, your experience and knowledge are valuable.

All-in compensation is excellent, considering 401(k) match, Profit-Sharing contribution, shares, and other benefits. Salary and bonus only are Ok by industry standards.

ConsSenior management changes and reorgs are difficult as strategic direction/major initiatives can then change.

Different business units often not marching together. Not necessarily in conflict, but not coordinated, with goals not aligned and initiatives that overlap. Overlapping initiatives add to bureacracy as you might need to involve 27 people to get a decision made.

Ramp-up time can be long for people new to Fido. The plus of knowing Fidelity (that helps employees return) is a hurdle for those new to Fido, especially at VP levels and up. Especially navigating the organization/existing relationships, and the peculiarities of mostly-home-grown technology. There's attrition before 2 years, then much less.

Work/life balance difficult in Personal Investing and Workplace Investing...some long hours, at least in "central" or "home office" (which are not limited to Boston - also NH, RI, NC, KY, TX) positions. Asset Management much better for work/life balance - considered "cushy" by other businesses. (I've worked in PI, WI, AM, and others). Don't know about Institutional.

Advice to Senior ManagementAbby needs to move decisively to really established her leadership of Fidelity Financial Services. Many still feel that major decisions must be run through/approved by Ned.

A great place for a career.

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey are a very strong believer in change. Change allows for improvement but may not always be the case especially in the short term. Benefits are good. Pay is fair. Private company allows for flexibility and accountability to the work product - not share holders. A very high % of employees are there 10-15+ years. Retention is good for a reason.

ConsWork-life balance options is only supported in some business units. High-performers are sometimes rewarded appropriately but not consistent. Low/non-performers are not rewarded but are also difficult to terminate from Fidelity. Instead, they are passed around Fidelity instead of managed out. This can/has hurt morale of teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus your efforts on motivating and keeping only the best and work to manage poor performers out of the firm.

Hectic process but worth it

Software Engineer/Developer (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for less than a year

ProsVery professional culture and great colleagues

ConsHaven't faced anything but since I am coming from a startup I see a lot of audit steps for every process. For eg. in order to get any data permissions you would need to go through a hierarchy. This is actually a pro on how much Fidelity cares about the confidentiality of it's data.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up, give more salaries to new hires

Great Culture, slow movement

Investment Solution Representatvie (Former Employee)

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than a year

ProsThe Culture is great, you have the ability to learn a lot and network with others. The company is very open to hearing new ideas and gives platforms for feedback. The benefits are strong great 401k and profit share

ConsThe pay is okay but could be better, especially considering the amount of money you bring in.The phone roles are very micro managed to your efficiency and that can wear on you. The progression of moving to other roles can be slow, with no real reason to how and whom they hire internally.

Advice to Senior Managementremove the time restrictions on career movement

Worked for Fidelity Investments? Contribute to the Community!

Fidelity Investments Videos

Fidelity Investments – Why Work for Us?

Fidelity Investments has a rich and proud history and has grown to become a leading provider of a wide range of services, including investment management, retirement planning, brokerage, and human resources and benefits… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fidelity Investments reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fidelity Investments CEO Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III. All 1,548 reviews posted anonymously by Fidelity Investments employees.