Fidelity Investments Institutional Services

Be The First To
Add Photos

Fidelity Investments Institutional Services President Peter Cieszko

Peter Cieszko

Fantastic, everyones very kind and hard working. Food in the cafeteria is great and reasonably priced. Well managed.

Intern (Current Employee) Smithfield, RI

ProsPeople as well as the opportunities to change roles within the company. Everyone here seems to work hard and their are few shortfalls with the benefits that we receive. It has personally led me to grow as an individual as well as gain valuable experience in the financial services industries. I personally feel lucky that I had the opportunity to work at such a wonderful company and hope to continue my career here for years to come.

ConsCan be stressful with the workload, half the time it seems like your in meetings receiving work than you are actually doing work. Will have to work late hours a lot to make up for the work you could not complete during the day and sometimes you are working 60 hour weeks to keep up with the demand. It is manageable but it can lead to stress, less sleep and worrying. The paycheck does make up for this however as they are a company that does pay pretty well.

FIis reliance hiring ffriends and family made it a very cliquish place to work

401k Plan Phone Representative (Former Employee) Covington, KY

ProsFidelity investments is a very generous employer.

ConsFIIS management preferred recent college grads who were living in their parents basement.Any employee who was over 35 and did not suck up to management was treated like a leper.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone makes mistakes. If you have an employee who has never been charged with an error is either passing the buck on anything they are unfamiliar with or gaming the system.

Decent company to work for. Be wary of restructuring

Accounting Analyst (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsCo-workers are knowledgable and competent. Lots of resources for learning and job development. Technology is kept decently up to date.

ConsNot much interaction between departments. Management can be rigid. Constantly restructuring.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Workload is tough

ProsGood people, good benefits, generous 401k

ConsMetrics seem to be off, workload is often tough to keep up with

Time for the C-Level Execs to Go

Man Director (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsInexpensive living is available in Kentucky just miles away. Lot's of opportunities to give back to the community. Easy commute. Good churches nearby.

ConsThe highest level of management is not on top of the game. In this changing economy we need people with real experience, people from the trenches, people who know our clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire from within. There are good managers that could be better executives.

Fidelity no longer the company it used to be...

Client Services (Former Employee) Covington, KY

ProsFlexibility to work from home. Salary and benefits better than average but Fidelity has made many changes to reduce these in recent years (i.e. elimination of pension plan; change in merit and bonus review program; move to high deductible medical plan).

ConsFidelity is a sweatshop. If you job involves client services, you find yourself working on vacation and holidays with no appreciation or reward. Fidelity has been doing consistent reductions in force over the last several years so less employees do more work. The company also recycles the same managers year after year which do nothing but provide lip service to upper management. The old boys club rules at Fidelity. If you are part of the club you are in. However, if you are honest and speak the truth, you are out. Senior management does not want to hear the truth and doesn't care about what the rank and file employees want or need or for that matter what the clients need. On the institutional side of the business, what is best for the client is what is in the best interest of Fidelity.
    Client Boards are just ways for senior management to goes to posh hotels/locations to schmooze with clients and give them lip service. Recent changes in the merit review process results in most employees being rated as average. This review process is a bell curve so only a handful are rated as excellent and requires that some employees fall into the need to improve category. This certainly makes it easy to determine who is out for the continual reductions in force. Finally, if you manage clients beware that if that client leaves, the buck stops with you. Even if the decision is out of your control (i.e. senior management won't budge on pricing or the client is bought by another company that is not with Fidelity) your manager will hold you accountable and your job will be on the line.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say to take the time and energy to really hear what the rank and file employees want and need but that would be assuming management cares about this. They don't. Management only wants to hear what it wants to hear and no employee satisfaction survey will provide them the true answers as the vast majority of employees do not trust that it is truly anonymous. This has created a completely disfunctional culture.

Great experience, didn't think I'd ever leave. I was part of a reduction in work force. Great place to start your career

Director (Current Employee) Smithfield, RI

ProsFair salary and bonus program. If you did well and proved yourself you were compensated very well. Great opportunities to grow your career, plenty of opportunity for upward or lateral movement. Advancement was supported by Mgt

ConsWork life balance was a little tough, depending on the area you worked.. Not a 9-5 company.

Great company to settle down.

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Cumberland, RI

ProsCool working environment. Independence , flexibility and benifts

ConsLimited technology exposure, lengthy and time consuming processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Ok place, great benefits but lots of politics

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Smithfield, RI

Pros1) Great Benefits
    2) Ability to move within the organization
    3) Great pay if you negotiate it upfront .
    4) Good work life balance in some groups

Cons1) Lot of politics
    2) Frequent re-organizations and changes within the company. No stability in senior management.
    3) New hires can be hired at much higher salaries.A person hired at a lower level could have much higher salary than yours.
    4) Work life balance can be bad in some groups.
    5) Lots of employees in IT are not proficient in their fields.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some stability in Senior Management. Stop continuous reorganization and changes.it is bad for employee morale.Btw, Peter Cieszko is long gone . This is the third time in as 5 years that the President has changed.

I like my job

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsVery good job growth, I really like the people that I work with and my boss is extremely competent

ConsLocation, I am looking to get into the Boston location of Fidelity and get into the investment department in the future

Advice to Senior ManagementI am extremely satisfied with the leadership at fidelity. It is good to work for an employer with job growth

Worked for Fidelity Investments Institutional Services? Contribute to the Community!