Fidelity Investments

Fidelity Investments Reviews in Merrimack, NH

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Fidelity Investments Chairman and CEO Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III

Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III

Pros
  • GOOD work-life balance: very rarely expected to work overtime (in 149 reviews)

• Being a privately held company has great benefits as well (in 185 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be tough given OT expectations 55-65 hours per week (in 42 reviews)

• Lot of high level (senior management) politics played in a dirty manner (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights
128 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Tax Exempt Representative

Tax Exempt Representative II (Current Employee) Merrimack, NH

ProsSupportive Management. Excellent Training Program. Great Benefits. Consistant Feedback. Career advancement opportunities are available for those who put in the work. Flexibility is key to being successful.

ConsManagers can sometimes overlook hard-workers. Some shifts are late since the TEM department is open until midnight. The environment is constantly changing (may be a good thing for some).

Advice to Senior ManagementFor upper management: Taking the time to interact with lower management and team members on a regular basis is a good morale builder - so keep it up.

I was an intern in FPCMS for the summer

Accounting (Former Employee) Merrimack, NH

ProsI learned a lot and the people were nice

ConsThey didn't have a lot for me to do at times

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize the interns more

awesome company

Vice President (Current Employee) Merrimack, NH

Proschallenging assignments, exciting work... high spend on technology

Consflat structure, takes lot of time to grow...

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of stack ranking

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company strives for continuous improvement however is very demanding expecting much more from employees.

Manager (Current Employee) Merrimack, NH

ProsGood salaries, good benefits. Good company to begin career with as there is growth potential for those who stand out.

ConsExpectations are high. With layoffs employees are expected to do more work as terminated employees are typically not replaced.

Advice to Senior ManagementFront line management is good. Upper management is difficult.

Met a lot of great, talented people.

Operations Manager (Former Employee) Merrimack, NH

ProsGreat benefits and awesome people.

ConsFrequent changes and lay offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the associates that are doing the work.

Great for competitive, motivated professionals

Premium Services Representative (Former Employee) Merrimack, NH

ProsConsistent bonuses, merit based, occasional voluntary time off

ConsHeavy metrics goals like handle time and lead generation. High pressure at times.

Overall good company only thing they make you in little nervous by doing the re-org every now and then.

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Merrimack, NH

ProsWork culture is good. Colleagues and top management are good.

ConsLot of re-org every now and then.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease Stop doing the site-strategy which you are loosing the good employees who was working for decades.

Very great company to work for.

Tax Exempt Service Representative (Former Employee) Merrimack, NH

ProsGreat benefits, opportunities to get securities licenses

ConsVery slow development plan. Most representatives start out at in customer service roles regardless of prior experience with other organizations.

Borderline discriminatory management. Mediocrity at its worst!

Manager (Former Employee) Merrimack, NH

ProsNice campus, free coffee, free parking. Quarterly appreciation event with cupcakes and games.

ConsNo career. Politics counts for 90%, which hurts the evolution of projects and deliverables. Improvisation, lack of leadership skills, and management that plays favorites, not with those that contribute the most, or who do the best for the company, but those who kiss the boss's behinds more often. People will often take credit for your deliverables, and will also blame you for their mistakes and snafus. Performance reviews are a joke in all areas of the company, and the employee has no chance of refuting the facts. Management is often clueless, and worse, it often lies about status of projects, impacts, deadlines, or deliverables. Everybody is a VP. The less degrees you have, and the more bs you can talk, the better.

Advice to Senior ManagementFidelity is rotting from the inside, and you are losing good people, while keeping some less than capable "managers" and "VP's". Something has to give. Go to the offices, learn what is going on, get more involved with day-to-day activities. There are people who are key assets to the company, who know the business well, and who take care of their clients. They are disappearing, while some "rotten tomatoes" thrive with their less than capable managerial skills.

Glorified Call Center Jobs

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) Merrimack, NH

ProsBrand recognition for your resume, Amazing Series 7 training, Profit Sharing (but you have to be there for 5 years to vested), and other benefits

ConsThis review is purely for the Financial Service Representative (FR) role, not the company as a whole, as I know people in Capital Markets and Fund Accounting who love their jobs.
    This is a good role for college graduates who are struggling for work experience for their resume (as they will hire any warm body with a degree) or for older people (45-50 year olds) who are looking for a lesser demanding career. Don’t believe the hiring managers when they tell you there is room to advance. There is only room to make parallel moves to other phone center jobs. They call these ‘promotions’ however one would expect a promotion to come with a pay increase, but not in this call center.

The average day for an FR is:

• Log into your phone, strap your head-set on;
    • Start taking call after call (between 40 to 100 a day depending on the season);
    • A pop-up screen will come up and tell you when you can take your lunch and two scheduled 15-mins breaks (if you need the rest room outside your breaks that goes against your metrics, which is bad);
    • Unlock peoples Fidelity.com accounts and maybe place some mutual fund orders for clients
    • Take more calls

Like I said this is a good job for people who need something for their resume or older people looking for a job that doesn’t take much brain power…or people who just don’t mind being abused by customers or taking 40-100 phone calls a day.
    However don’t believe the hype when you are in the interview that you’re going to be a ‘trader’ and will be placing trades all day….more like you will be placing a couple mutual fund orders and resetting passwords for people or acting as a operator and passing calls to other departments.
    The bottom-line is Fidelity is a huge company with a great name and if you are the 1 in 1000000 that can go from being in the call center (and working in a branch is the same thing, customer service , but face to face) to a non-phone job you will probably love life…however you would have a better chance of winning 10k on a scratch ticket than escaping the call center once you strap that headset on your head.

Advice to Senior ManagementPizza and Ice Cream doesn't boost moral.

Worked for Fidelity Investments? Contribute to the Community!