Fidelity Investments

Fidelity Investments Reviews in North Carolina

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Fidelity Investments Chairman and CEO Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III

Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III

Pros
  • GOOD work-life balance: very rarely expected to work overtime(in 146 reviews)

• Being a privately held company has great benefits as well(in 183 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be tough given OT expectations 55-65 hours per week(in 42 reviews)

• Lot of high level (senior management) politics played in a dirty manner(in 67 reviews)

100 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great so far

Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsOverall benefits and pay are great.

ConsCareer development is a big problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake moving up easier

Decent pay, good work/life but culture stinks, lack of communication

Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsI worked in IT. My immediate team was nice, the pay was good, and I didn't work every weekend. My job was ok. To do my job took wayyyy longer than it needed to take.

ConsI think the culture is competitive to the point that people don't readily share knowledge. They hide it from each other in order to make themselves look better. That kind of behavior doesn't help a company move forward. They are also way too conservative and never want to take responsibility. Instead, they make decisions by consensus so that no one is to blame if something goes wrong.

Kudos

Technical Intern (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsAmazing environment to work it, I highly recommend this if you like a collaborative helpful environment. Would love to work here for the next 20 years.

ConsThere are no cons that I have ran across yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is very well laid out. Advice? Keep doing a good job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work and the people/ managers are really nice.

Defined Contributions Representative II (Current Employee) Durham, NC

Prosstrong solid company with great reputation. managers really help you succeed and progress in your career/ goals. flexible with your schedule and work with you if something does not go as plan within work and outside. paid training.

Consthe compensation could be much better for the amount of tedious work and dedication to ensuring customer satisfaction. large corporation so politics are often involved in decision making.

Advice to Senior Managementcompensate customer service representatives for the reason that we are the first and last impression the customers see and set the face for the company. it has an outstanding reputation because of the outstanding customer service..

Great company with growth potential

Defined Contributions Representative II (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsGreat place to start off a career because they offer so much growth potential in the financial industry. Management is excellent here and always respectful of their employees. Great benefits as well.

ConsA lot of the people I worked with were lazy and constantly trying to get out of actually having to work, but eventually that's why they don't get promoted and those who work hard do. Also I've heard that the salary is a bit lower than similar positions within the industry, but they make up for it with benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder at rewarding and making an example out of the employees that are willing to work harder and longer hours. It's hard to stay motivated during the busy season when it feels like the extra work is going unnoticed.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsAs an IT professional, this is a great place to work. The company invests in technology a lot and is proud to be one of the best companies in the technology field in the tech magazines. Benefit package is one of the best in the industry, with exceptional company match/profit sharing for retirement. Abundant opportunities for training.

ConsThe general salary level seems a bit lower compared to the industry average, which is compensated by the great retirement benefit package.

Advice to Senior ManagementA more flexible personal growth opportunities would be desirable.

This is the place where dreams go to die

Principal Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsThe free brokerage account is very nice and they pay more than most in the area.

ConsThis is a very conservative finance company so expect that kind of business culture to translate into everything they do.

From the start of your career you will hear them talk about the billions (Yes billions!) of dollars that they happily spend on IT each year... From my observations I can say that quite a bit of this money is clearly being wasted on supporting many lazy engineers that lack the modern IT skills needed to do the simplest of things on their own.

2. They will tell you up front to never expect more than a 2-3% pay increase each year and they will always promise amazing bonuses that never actually end up 'actually' being amazing .

3. For a company of this size the health insurance for more than just single coverage is insanely overpriced.

4. Its been stated by others on this site that success is all about 'who' you work for and not 'what' you do.. This is absolutely true and enterprise technology is a total mess that is full of awful people.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions are a joke and with the aggressive push to offshore there is no incentive for anyone to actually better their skills.

Vacation / Personal time is more than fair but expect to be salary and placed on a team that is always understaffed.

Over the past couple of years things have gone down hill.

Management Consultant (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsFlexible work options, new campus, 1-1 match up to 6% on 401k, profit sharing each year

ConsAreas have poor, indecisive leadership. Benefits expensive, constant reorgs, low career growth, execs out of touch with the masses

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a strategy and stick to it. Value your employees before they leave.

Good first job

Workplace Planning and Guidance (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsAwesome benefits, cool people, leadership gives feedback and isn't afraid of feedback.

Consthey work you like a horse, but as long as you make numbers, they don't care what you do with your time.

Advice to Senior Managementeveryone's cool

Information overload!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsThe pay is pretty decent, if you come in via a contract you receive weekly pay.

ConsDoesn't not seem to be a whole lot of room for advancement. Although that they'll sell you dream that you could be the next it person.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be more personable.

Worked for Fidelity Investments? Contribute to the Community!