Fidelity Investments Reviews

Reset
3.6
Fidelity Investments CEO Abby Johnson
Abby Johnson

Pros
  • Work/life balance very important to company (in 166 reviews)

• Great company with great benefits (in 210 reviews)

Cons
  • Company expects all dedication to work with little regard to work/life balance (in 52 reviews)

• senior management (good or really bad) trumps everything (in 70 reviews)

2,246 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Constant opportunity for development and growth for those who want it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake, TX

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large, privately held firm with values that are reinforced at all levels of leadership. Career opportunities are ongoing and the vast majority of people at the firm will help you progress if you're willing to do the work.
    Fidelity provides exceptional benefits with options based on personal needs and various family situations. While pay and bonus structures are sometimes criticized, being patient will pay off for those who are willing to wait.

Cons

Fidelity retail is open 24 hours, causing scheduling conflicts for some candidates
    Career tracks within the firm can be limited due to licensing requirements, or lack of licensing flexibility in the groups

Advice to Management

Continue listening to the people talking with the customers.
    Review the regional pay practices more often, especially during tight labor markets in order to attract and retain the best and brightest.

Too bad it did not last

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time

Pros

Great benefits
    Great people
    Steady career advancement
    Flourishing community
    They will train you
    They will give you all you need to develop (tools, mentoring, sponsorship, etc)
    Work from home
    Travel to different destinations
    Paid conferences
    Hackathons
    Ship-It Days
    Fidelity TV (watch hundreds of TEDx talks, presentations, and conferences from influential and successful people) - some of these you won't see anywhere else but at Fidelity)
    FCat library gives you access to paper and electronic books (Safari books including)
    Many talented technologists
    Fidelity Cares
    Gym, massage, doctor, cafeteeria on-site
    I can't list everything. Seriously. They are good!

Cons

My career was going well but unfortunately it took a sharp turn. Company motto "Turn here" did not really work well for me. I had bullies on my team including my senior manager who was plain incompetent. I had to leave because every day there became a terror. Mobbing and bullying would not stop after talking to my immediate manager. HR did not care when I reported unethical conduct. They told me I needed a good sense of humor. However, you will agree that being called jerk and hearing jokes about your nationality every day is not fun.

Advice to Management

Boot the ruthless from this company. They are easy to find, just talk to your troops. Ruthless don't care about people. All they want is clones, mindless machines they can fire and hire any time they please.

Great Benefits

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall benefits are tough to beat

Cons

They say they want us to be above midpoint in salaries for our roles but start you on a path that never seem to get there

Advice to Management

How many billions do you need - most folks live for the now not the future.

Great Company-Not much room to move up

Former Employee - Financial Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Forward thinking, Professional work-place. Promotes employee health by providing incentives for check-ups and to stop smoking. People are friendly and courteous.

Cons

Management plays favorites, very hard to advance especially if you don't kiss up. Even if you out perform co-workers, and go the extra mile with the customer, you still may get passed up for promotions for those who are "buddies" with the boss.

Advice to Management

Provide advancement based on performance instead of personal likes and dislikes. This company would benefit getting the promotion rather than the suck-ups.

6. A lot of travel, low pay, but great experience.

Former Employee - Business Integration Specialist in Smithfield, RI
    Former Employee - Business Integration Specialist in Smithfield, RI

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You learn a ton about the clearing and custody business. You are one arm of the full implementation spectrum, but it allows you client facing opportunities as well as exposure to all levels of management and different departments. The experience, knowledge and exposure are the biggest advantages to this job

Cons

Travelling can be extensive. Each implementation is at least 1 - 2 weeks (including the weekends) and it's not uncommon to go from one to another. Some implementations are scheduled and promised by upper management to the client, for 10 - 12 weeks. There were many instances where employees would travel from a 2 week conversion to a 4 week conversion to another 4-6 week conversion back to back.

I don't know if the pay grades were appropriate for this sort of commitment to the employees.

Advice to Management

1) Higher pay
    2) Be a lot more flexible with the work at home schedule when employees are back in office. Rather than having to sign up for an approved day at home, allowing employees to choose when they work from home would improve morale.
    3) Take managers off of projects so they can actually be managers. Having an unreachable manager for weeks on end isn't conducive to a healthy work environment.

Good place to work, weak management

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Margate, FL
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Margate, FL

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits. Health Insurance for a family is reasonable, the 10% drop into your 401K for profit share each year was always a plus in January. No vision insurance offered, but good dental, 4 weeks of vacation after 5 years, plus all market holidays. Seldom have to work weekends or past 6pm.

Cons

Management has way to may priorities throwing you in a number of different directions. The fire drill method of management makes it hard to no what to focus on. The middle management is hit or miss, you either have someone to help you move up, or someone who is afraid you'll take their job.

Advice to Management

Work on middle management! Promote because of skills and not politics, and learn to think outside the box. The close minded view is why Fidelity is slowing having its market share eroded year after year.

8. good place to work

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Fidelity Investments

Pros

Great org to work with.

Cons

did not find any thing

Advice to Management

nothing

9. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Vice President in Merrimack, NH
    Current Employee - Vice President in Merrimack, NH

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time

Pros

A lot of opportunities. Plenty of different things to do. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Base pay is average, but when coupled with benefits including company match on 401k, profit sharing share payments, and other the total compensation is extremely competitive.

10. Fidelity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Fidelity Investments (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of help with training. Great environment.

Cons

Harder to advance. If you do not want to take phone calls, then you are out of luck.

11. Good Job

I have been working at Fidelity Investments

Pros

Great internship, great company to work for

Cons

Very confusing industry to learn in a summer

Showing 2,246 of 2,351 reviews