Fidelity Investments

3.7
1,803 Reviews

Fidelity Investments Chairman and CEO Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III
Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III

Pros
  • GOOD work-life balance: very rarely expected to work overtime (in 149 reviews)

• Being a privately held company has great benefits as well (in 185 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be tough given OT expectations 55-65 hours per week (in 42 reviews)

• Lot of high level (senior management) politics played in a dirty manner (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights

Be careful relocating

Former Employee - Compliance Director  in  Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Compliance Director in Providence, RI

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and good co workers.

Cons

I was hired to help start futures for retail customers as a Compliance Director and was relocated from Buffalo Grove, IL. to Providence, RI. After 18 months Fidelity decided not to go forward with futures for retail customers and was laid off. Prior to accepting the position I asked HR and the senior managers that I interviewed with if there was any chance that starting futures would fall through. They said that was impossible.I jokingly said I don't want to live in a teepee with my son. I left a good position at Prudential, sold my home and moved for what amounted to the biggest mistake of my life.

Stay true to your word. Severance does not help a life that was detroyed by your actions.

Fake hiring for manager or technical consultants positions

Current Employee - Technical  in  Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Technical in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free food and cab services..

Cons

There is an issues for the people heired at managers level or technical consultant level..These people are hired just to assure UK people that we will be deliveirng the propject under new hires however they make sure the new hires are made scape goats and projects under them are failed by some game plan.
    This is done to safeguard exsisitng managers jobs..their is a stiff competion at BP-20 level (intenal level) and to safe guard old employe this is done..
    It was done with me and I understood the issue ..but the senior management after hearing the issue threatened me to resgin from the company..

Change the leadrship

Extremely disappointed at every level in every possible way.

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  Westlake, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Westlake, TX

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Read the "CONS" and "Advice to Management" shown below. I have nothing positive to say about this place. I give it LESS than one Star.

Cons

VERY POOR performance evaluation structure. Often times the best, most reliable, and hard working employees are left behind while the YOUNG with "beautiful smiles and fake loud voices" continue to advance. EXTREMELY political and extremely poor management throughout many business units.

You all become robots at some point. You are no longer capable of recognizing the real value in many of your employees. There is nothing anyone can say or advice in this hopeless and sad situation. Every manager will pick and choose his or her "favorite employee," support them in every way, and ignore everyone else.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Merrimack Call Center: Worst job I've ever had!

Former Employee - 401k Specialist/Customer Service Associate  in  Merrimack, NH
    Former Employee - 401k Specialist/Customer Service Associate in Merrimack, NH

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing, unless you're a masochist.

Cons

Big Brother is watching EVERYTHING you do. All phone calls and all computer use is recorded, timed, measured - Anything you say or do can and will be used against you. Metrics for everything and anything - Did you leave for break on time? (doesn't matter if you're on a call with a client); How many and how long were your bathroom breaks?; Constant coaching of what you said on calls with clients. If you're not perfect, you don't get a raise.
    They want drones, not humans, you're expected to say the exact same script every single time, no matter what. They should just have employees monitoring calls from clients and push "Button #27" for the script for that question, "Button #92" for script for this question... As soon as you hang up from one call, the next call is coming in, virtually non-stop the whole shift. I'd be surprised if they don't run out of people in the area soon to fill those jobs - they've burned out so many and/or fired so many for miniscule infractions of their rules. Doesn't matter how many 'Kudos' you got from clients that were happy with your assistance.

Get real. People aren't perfect. Cut them some slack.

Professional "dead end" job

Former Employee - Financial Representative  in  Florence, KY
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Florence, KY

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation is pretty good for those with no experience. Easy way to obtain series 7 if that is your goal. Great work life balance outside of tax season. Good job to leave work at work.

Cons

Definition of dead end job. Although compensation is good to start, variable compensation is determined by managers who frequently play favorites. Off phone jobs and advancement potential is almost non existent and has little to do with job performance.Micro managing is rampant with too many inputs to job performance. Management frequently says one thing and does another. Management is invested in keeping employees not marketable for superior jobs.

Be consistent.

Poor management

Former Employee - Relationship Manager
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Office Space
    -Technology
    -Support of Call Centers
    -Good for someone looking to start their career and obtaining securities licenses
    -Benefits are okay - not as good as some companies but not bad either

Cons

This is a job - not a career. Your role and upward movement with this company is dependent upon your relationship with senior management. It has little to do with the amount of work you do or your contribution to the organization.

Extremely political atmosphere - most employees are afraid to raise concerns due to repercussions from senior management. There are some very good managers within the company however locally, our managers were very unprofessional and morale within the office was very low as a result. High turnover within company as a result.

Senior management does not do a good job treating their employees as assets. They have a "use and abuse" attitude with most of them and a better outlook would help employees feel valued and feel as though they have a career path within the company. They bait new representatives with a story of how they will be moving up within the company in a short time, however, I have seen AE's in their roles for over ten years that have been unable to move up within the company - despite their best efforts and good job performance due to office politics.

Local and senior management was highly unprofessional and very political. Very much a "good ole boys club." I have never seen a company with this problem at this level in 15 years in brokerage.

Decline

Current Employee - Trader  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Trader in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are great. That's all

Cons

8 hours on phones.
    Mandatory I mean "optional overtime"
    Run like a labor factory
    Low pay
    I made higher bonuses as an intern in college. AND I was on one of the highest performing teams in service in the country

Reps need more to do than sit on the phone all day. Not healthy

Fidelity is a hiring joke!!

Former Employee - Health & Wellness Representative II  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Health & Wellness Representative II in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time for less than a year

Pros

The starting pay is good.

Cons

They lie to their employees and don't care about them or their families.

Stop using future employees to do the job of your Human Resource department, if you have one.

Be careful not to think outside the very small box

Former Employee - Client Services Represenhtative  in  Westlake, TX
    Former Employee - Client Services Represenhtative in Westlake, TX

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They offer excellent medical and educational benefits.

Cons

Working at Fidelity will be frustrating for anyone who likes to think for his or herself. In the call center, you are considered close to a trained parrot, and the only value the company recognizes is your ability to regurgitate the same lines over and over. Even after considering very carefully how to word certain items with customers, a management intern with weeks of relevant experience who has very little understanding of your job will listen to your calls and tell you exactly how they want you to speak to customers, down to exact lines of text that won't work very well and will cause you more problems with customers. Thinking people will hate this. Work is very boring and rote. The tools provided to get the job done are poorly designed, and can hurt your call statistics. You will be assigned a queue for a specific pool of customers, and some are far worse than others. This too will affect your statistics.

People who receive excellent ratings from customers themselves, don't need endless internal reviews determining whether they're following the latest call model of the month. Why not focus those resources where it is needed; the representatives with poor customer ratings.

They don't really want candor despite what you hear.

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are good. Technology and tools are a high priority for the firm. They continue to invest in new and better technology. They are customer focused and want to be the #1 choice for financial needs.

Cons

Middle management has too much power and not enough supervision. The farther away from HQ you are, the worse the treatment is of the employees by management. There is not enough oversight for the treatment of lower level employees and if you dare be candid you will be targeted, punished, and eventually terminated. There is no support, and the communication is horrible at best. As an employee you should NEVER be surprised about an assessment or rating yet it happens.

Please take a look at the management you have in place, look at employee files and talk to HR representatives that support the more remote locations. You need to know the truth about why so many tenured employees at all different levels are leaving. It's not what it appears on the surface and you have not been given the full picture. Dig deeper if you want the truth and take action.

Worked for Fidelity Investments? Contribute to the Community!