Fidelity Investments Reviews

3.6
1,782 Reviews

Fidelity Investments Chairman and CEO Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III
Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III

Pros
  • GOOD work-life balance: very rarely expected to work overtime (in 149 reviews)

• Being a privately held company has great benefits as well (in 185 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be tough given OT expectations 55-65 hours per week (in 42 reviews)

• Lot of high level (senior management) politics played in a dirty manner (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Company Ever!

I worked at Fidelity Investments

Pros

The company is employee driven. They bend over backwards for their employees. The theory is happy employees, happy customers...

Cons

There are not any cons to my knowledge.

This is not a career. Use it for experience only.

Current Employee - Direct Contributions Customer Service Associate 401(K)  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Direct Contributions Customer Service Associate 401(K) in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for less than a year

Pros

It was easy to get hired. I made some mistakes and they still hired me. I really needed a job so I took it.
    I really like the people I work with. They are intelligent and genuinely friendly, except for a few people, who happen to be in decision making roles. A college education is encouraged and most people have that or have had years experience in customer service, business or finance. This makes for a great group of coworkers, but makes it more tragic given the cons.

Cons

I have been at the company for 7 months as a 401K associate.

I feel like the culture and environment turns my good co-workers into fearful drones looking out for only themselves.

And now from here down are just facts:

You have to have your computer system up and running with 4-5 applications by the start of your shift. if the computer locks up, which happens at least once a day, more for others, you cannot let the customer know, keep talking, reboot, refresh etc. they are now transitioning us into a different computer system but coming up this month. I'm not optimistic.

My Veritude hired co-workers were on the job for 6 months until transitioning into non-Veritude, or I guess "regular Fidelity employees" were not eligible for the mid year review raise. Also, the day they transition, their computer systems were locked up and it took all day for IT to fix. The company was not prepared. This is how I found out how many there were at my site it was about a quarter of the DC associates. Many of these people were some of the best members of my team. I didn't know what Veritude was until I read Glassdoor this evening. it is actually a Fidelity hiring department. It is a temp to hire. So Fidelity hires some employees and gives them the same job as other regular employees but they do not get the mid year review raise or quarterly bonus.

My manager purposefully plays politics and does not hide it.

The salary is very low.

You get sick leave throughout the year but each time you call in sick it counts against you as an "incident". Each manager has discretion on what will be used against you. This is unfair period.

The company match is 7% on the retirement savings acct. but only after you have worked there 1 year, and you are not 100% vested until five years.

Each site in the nation has only specific job roles available.

Our job is to go above and beyond for the customer and work for the customer, which, if done right, means printing out statements and literature by hand and sending them in envelopes or calling out to our solutions desk to do research on complicated issues or submitting research requests which are complicated forms where we have the least bit of training on. Any work done that is not on the phone is going to be counted against your hold time, your idle time or if you are unlucky and do not take your lunch on time, your adherence time.

We get two 15 min breaks and 30 min lunch. It takes 15 min to walk down to the cafeteria to acquire food after standing in line with the slowest people in the world (management knows this) You eat in 10 min, go to the restroom and rush back to get system ready to start again. that is assuming there are no tasks to wrap up after getting off the phone and starting your lunch clock, and there always is, along with some trying to talk to you.

You have alot of policies in place and you work hard to adhere to them, as managers, for legal reasons and to improve business. This is great. However, you take these policies too seriously. It really feels like the military with a big smile in a grey suit. Break policy and there is a policy to write you up. At a certain level you stop feeling human. You should give employees a second place to go other than the manager for any concerns. Even when we have to change our schedule, call in, or leave early, it is a voice mail or an email that we communicate to. We were given the opportunity to send anonymous suggestions to our manager but our manager read them back to us in our meeting and intimidated us not to write such things and we all feared that our expressions would give us away, even on stuff we didn't write. There is very little downtime off the phones to meet with the team and discuss things. We use our lunches and breaks too often for real tasks.

Good benefits at a cost

I worked at Fidelity Investments

Pros

Exceptional benefits plan and fair salary..

Cons

Company expects all dedication to work with little regard to work/life balance.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professional "dead end" job

Former Employee - Financial Representative  in  Florence, KY
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Florence, KY

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation is pretty good for those with no experience. Easy way to obtain series 7 if that is your goal. Great work life balance outside of tax season. Good job to leave work at work.

Cons

Definition of dead end job. Although compensation is good to start, variable compensation is determined by managers who frequently play favorites. Off phone jobs and advancement potential is almost non existent and has little to do with job performance.Micro managing is rampant with too many inputs to job performance. Management frequently says one thing and does another. Management is invested in keeping employees not marketable for superior jobs.

Be consistent.

Did not have a really amazing internship experience

Current Employee - Technical Intern
    Current Employee - Technical Intern

I have been working at Fidelity Investments as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good hourly wage, low pressure, relaxing work environment

Cons

Not enough work for interns, a lot of down time and busy work

Great people hamstrung by a lack of decisive and visible senior leadership

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Vice President in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Solid pay, decent work-life balance, excellent benefits. The people at Fidelity are smart, friendly and uniformly desire to do the right thing.

Cons

Terrible disconnect between senior management and the people below them. Poltiical maneuvering among senior leaders is widespread, a result of C-level unwillingness to set direction clearly or resolve conflicts decisively.

Company culture is consensus-driven - often from the bottom up in that individuals, groups and teams are left to work things out themselves - and when issues among teams arise that cannot be resolved below the SVP level, they remain unaddressed and left to fester until things get bad enough that someone senior HAS to step in, usually with more fallout than would have been necessary if the problem had been addressed earlier.

There is a serious blind spot when it comes to recognizing the limits of consensus-building and the fact that leadership by directive is sometimes necessary.

Fidelity does very well in the financial services marketplace, but it would absolutely own that space if it could stop stepping on its own feet. The problem is not how you're communicating to everyone in the organization, it's that you are not leading effectively, and this problem starts with the president of the company. Be visible, be decisive, and set direction - if everything is going to be run by consensus, we don't need you.

Senior Management Learning and Development

Current Employee - Learning and Development  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Learning and Development in Boston, MA

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Budgets can be generous. Pay is good. Smart, dedicated employees.

Cons

Budget cuts can be austere. Funding of bonus is pathetic.

You can afford to fund bonuses at 100%. As is usual, many senior mgt members appear to be unsuited for the job.

Emotional rollercoaster thanks to bad program and management

Former Employee - Financial Representative  in  Merrimack, NH
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Merrimack, NH

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time for less than a year

Pros

Profit sharing is 7% after you have been there for 1 year. They will reimburse you for college and even 25% for a new laptop and printer.

Cons

Do not believe or support employees. On-boarding managers are unprofessional and condescending.

Revise training program for Financial Representative program. It is not normal for 60% of your classes to fail. Properly train managers to be humans beings and not robots.

Decent pay, good work/life but culture stinks, lack of communication

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time

Pros

I worked in IT. My immediate team was nice, the pay was good, and I didn't work every weekend. My job was ok. To do my job took wayyyy longer than it needed to take.

Cons

I think the culture is competitive to the point that people don't readily share knowledge. They hide it from each other in order to make themselves look better. That kind of behavior doesn't help a company move forward. They are also way too conservative and never want to take responsibility. Instead, they make decisions by consensus so that no one is to blame if something goes wrong.

Fidelity

Current Employee - Investment Representative  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Investment Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Fidelity Investments for more than 5 years

Pros

definately profit sharing and vacacation

Cons

your ability to advance depends on your location - could go either way

They are only concerned about management in Boston.

Worked for Fidelity Investments? Contribute to the Community!