Fidelity Investments

Fidelity Investments Reviews in Rhode Island

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Fidelity Investments Chairman and CEO Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III

Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III

Pros
  • GOOD work-life balance: very rarely expected to work overtime(in 146 reviews)

• Being a privately held company has great benefits as well(in 183 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be tough given OT expectations 55-65 hours per week(in 42 reviews)

• Lot of high level (senior management) politics played in a dirty manner(in 67 reviews)

44 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent Internship experience

Intern (Former Employee) Smithfield, RI

ProsTeam oriented work, great people who have a lot of respect for each other, much opportunity for growth

ConsNot many entry level opportunities available

Overall, one of the best places to work for business or IT

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Smithfield, RI

ProsA privately owned thriving large company that is always trying to improve, not afraid to take risks and grow in new directions. It's essentially a meritocracy so if you are willing to work hard and be flexible you can succeed with it. Industry comparable salary and good benefits, a decent work environment overall.

ConsIf you don't like the organizational structure you are working in, just wait 6 months and it will change.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to ideas coming from the ground up (the company is doing better in this regard, still needs to improve)

'Tech Project Manager'

Project Manager (Former Employee) Smithfield, RI

ProsSupport from management is good. They trust their employees.
    Good projects - projects vary and are constantly challenging
    Great workforce - nearly everyone who works for Fidelity is someone you would want on your side.

ConsLots of red tape
    Big company feel - even for tech side
    Change resistance - Not as open to change as an agile group should be. Agile methodology is in place but not agile mentality in most cases
    Base pay & Grade - lots of emphasis into time at a grade level rather than rewarding performance

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice People, Limited Growth

Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) Smithfield, RI

ProsNice people. Great 401K match and Profit Sharing plans for retirement.

ConsDifficult to network outside of current business unit if looking for growth in different areas.

Large company, friendly people, but lacks driving innovative and new ideas.

Technical Intern (Current Employee) Smithfield, RI

ProsGreat place for an intern (for $ reasons); able to many areas of the business and understand how business's generally work. Employees are very friendly and approachable. Possible to work for the business for a long period of time.

ConsMakes you stop and wonder how anything gets done in a company so big and so unwilling to try new things. Slow-moving projects and repetitive workflow (without any impacting results); wouldn't reccommend if you like to see results or are a dedicated hardworker.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes its not always godo to keep the same people working for you for 10+ year. Fresh ideas and innovation are generated when you introduce new to the old.

Product-Institutional Services

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee) Smithfield, RI

ProsGood work environment. Very savvy employees who will go the extra mile for their clients/customers. Work/life balance is present, but as in all walks of life depends on project deadlines and seasonal obligations. Good pay and benefits. Many sub-companies enable opportunity to transfer and learn new components of the financial services industry.

ConsManagement-information-gatekeeping by some senior level managers negatively impacts the outcome of projects and can be demoralizing to the team. Some micro-management exists. Where this occurs it is very difficult to complete tasks. Periodic RIF activity to eliminate older, longer service employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe growth of multiple layers of management has created a caste system between upper management and working teams. Messaging to executive level management can be manipulated by mid & sr management. Internal review and reflection of management / employee communication could use some education and oversight.

From a recent college grad standpoint

Associate Software Engineer Developer (Current Employee) Smithfield, RI

ProsAmazing Benefits, talented people, and gives back to community

ConsMight be working on old technlogies, but the company is starting to adopt latest technologies. Co works are relativly in their 40s but starting to see some 25 year old starting.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something that makes you stand out

Good place to work!

Vice President (Former Employee) Smithfield, RI

ProsUnlimited opportunities in the financial services industry for those who know how to navigate and network effectively. Good benefits, pay and interesting work. If you like a challenge, this is the place to work.

ConsLittle appreciation for associate technical and internal knowledge, and the impact to client services, satisfaction and potentially the bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementLessen red tape leading to project approval.

It's an okay place if you don't mind your supervisor repeatedly taking credit for your work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Smithfield, RI

ProsI like the people I work with, and the pay.

ConsMy supervisor repeatedly takes credit for my work. I don't like the long commute.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more considerate of the "little people." We matter, too!

A challenging but fundamentally frustrating software development experience.

Software Engineer/Developer (Former Employee) Smithfield, RI

ProsGreat offices, good benefits, excellent coworkers.

ConsHigh turnover, frequent burnout, poor work/life balance, slow to adapt to new technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are too many managers between the employees doing the work and the top. Messages are taken and twisted by the time they have gone up the ladder. We need fewer senior managers and to involve the people actually doing the work more closely in the planning process. Also, IT should be working more closely and more transparently with business partners.

Worked for Fidelity Investments? Contribute to the Community!