Fidelity Investments Reviews

Reset
3.5
Fidelity Investments CEO Abby Johnson
Abby Johnson

Pros
  • Work/life balance very important to company (in 166 reviews)

• Great company with great benefits (in 210 reviews)

Cons
  • Company expects all dedication to work with little regard to work/life balance (in 52 reviews)

• senior management (good or really bad) trumps everything (in 70 reviews)

Excellent Employee TCB Package

Former Employee - Communications Consultant in Smithfield, RI
    Former Employee - Communications Consultant in Smithfield, RI

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent 401k match and profit sharing.

Cons

Very high volume of work. Lacking in work/life balance.

2. Great Experience

Former Employee - Technical Intern in Smithfield, RI
    Former Employee - Technical Intern in Smithfield, RI

I worked at Fidelity Investments (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked within many roles, good exposure to management, worked on projects that mattered

Cons

Wasn't the laidback, technical company I was looking for, but this isn't any fault of theirs

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin on

First Impressions

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Providence, RI

I have been working at Fidelity Investments (More than a year)

Pros

Learning company. It appears to be growth orientated. Well established.

Cons

Training some technical problems. Some aspects of the job are quite different than what was described in interviews. Culture is high demand questioning some of the business model and culture. Many people appear to not be upwardly moving in the company. The call center how many people leave before they are promoted?

Advice to Management

This is difficult at this time. Training and technical glitches should not be occurring that cause setbacks. Good managers are trying hard to address this. Listen to the people in the field and try to make things better for them it will help your customer service. Not sure what you could do about burnout in the call centers.

Its Blah!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smithfield, RI

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good salary and good work-life balance. Marketing roles are exciting since they play in a commodity industry that is highly competitive and undifferentiated. Also Fidelity is not really about growth, it is one family's estate plan

Cons

Politics. Many people have titles of VP Politics. People get moved around all depending on who they like and who they associate with. Growth internally is quite limited, again depending on who likes you.

Advice to Management

Weed out the favoritism, politics and nepotism. A true talent review and innovative culture will take this compnay and boston institution further.

If you want to be happy in the workplace, avoid this company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smithfield, RI

Pros

If your just out of college, might be a good place to kick off your career

Cons

Ok, where to start. Politics, rules this company, if for some minor reason they don't like you from the outset, you can forget about moving anywhere from your current role. Middle mgmt consistently talking badly about their employees. Pay is terrible, upward movement is slow and only to favorites, regardless of how good at the job you might be. The role itself didn't bother me as such, I knew what I signed up for (client services) its just all the BS that went with the role that finally got to me. Turnover rate was ridiculous, I started training in a class of 25, within 12mnths over half had left. Oh and you will be micromanaged to the second.

Advice to Management

Try to be more humble when you reach the dizzying heights of middle mgmt, and treating your employees with respect would also go along way.

Engineering Position

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Smithfield, RI
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Smithfield, RI

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I loved the people with whom I worked, they are a smart and talented group.

Cons

The culture is a bit straight-laced especially when compared to newer companies run by generation X or younger people. Also, it's a mutual fund company first and foremost. The company has a history of technical innovation but they aren't a tech company so it seems like technical teams are hit hard when the markets contract.

Advice to Management

Modernize the culture, even the business casual dress code is out of date!

Great place to work but......

Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and can provide great experience. I worked in several different groups including workplace investing, brokerage operations and technology and have been very happy working in my current role.

Cons

Focuses too much on younger talent instead of looking at those with experience. work/life balance is good but can be detrimental if you want to move up. People without families are able to participate in after work socializing and are able to mingle with senior managers whose kids are grown up. As a result, those of us with families tend be left behind those who are single and can go out and drink with the V.P.s and get moved ahead.

Advice to Management

Look beyond those who are in their twenties.....people in their 40's still have much to offer. If you are a V.P. Then say hi to all of the people who work in your group. Don't just chat with the younger talent and interns.

9. Good people hamstrung by micro-managing senior management who won't make tough decisons

Current Employee - Vice President in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Vice President in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid pay, decent work-life balance, excellent benefits. The people at Fidelity are smart, friendly and uniformly desire to do the right thing.

Cons

Terrible disconnect between senior management and the people below them. Poltiical maneuvering among senior leaders is widespread, a result of C-level unwillingness to set direction clearly or resolve conflicts decisively. Company culture is consensus-driven - often from the bottom up in that individuals, groups and teams are left to work things out themselves - and when issues among teams arise that cannot be resolved below the SVP level, they remain unaddressed and left to fester until things get bad enough that someone senior HAS to step in, usually with more fallout than would have been necessary if the problem had been addressed earlier. There is a serious blind spot when it comes to recognizing the limits of consensus-building and the fact that leadership by directive is sometimes necessary. Micro-managing is common, and far, far too much time is spent on producing presentations and reports.

Advice to Management

Fidelity does very well in the financial services marketplace, but it would absolutely own the space if it could stop stepping on its own feet. The problem is not how you're communicating to everyone in the organization, it's that you are not leading effectively, and this problem starts with the president of the company. Be visible, be decisive, and set direction and GET OUT OF THE WAY. If everything is going to be run by consensus, we don't need you.

10. Technical Intern

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Smithfield, RI
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Fidelity Investments as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay their interns very well. There is plenty of technology to learn and all of their buildings are beautiful. I never had to get anyone coffee because they treat you (almost) like a real employee. Free gym membership as well.

Cons

The company culture seems a little old fashion compared to other places I worked. Also, I was given very minimal work load.

A good place to work - but you need to play the game

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work options Opportunities for advancement Great benefits and development resources

Cons

Unfortunately, advancement is more about how well you manage up vs, how well you do your job. Conform, conform, conform. Don't rock the boat. Being a contrarian is a disadvantage

Advice to Management

Hold all management responsible to ensuring that advancement is tied to attainment of goals.

Showing 66 of 2,546 reviews