Fidelity Investments

Fidelity Investments Reviews in Westlake, TX

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Fidelity Investments Chairman and CEO Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III

Edward C. “Ned” Johnson, III

Pros
  • GOOD work-life balance: very rarely expected to work overtime (in 149 reviews)

• Being a privately held company has great benefits as well (in 185 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be tough given OT expectations 55-65 hours per week (in 42 reviews)

• Lot of high level (senior management) politics played in a dirty manner (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights
119 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Truly life changing.

Software Development Intern (Current Employee) Westlake, TX

ProsI interned there summer 2013 and went back for a second internship in 2014. I enjoyed the people I worked with, the on campus cafeteria, the covered parking, the beautiful landscape when I walk into the office, the lake on campus, and the job I did. I wrote software and was given a chance to grow, fun things to do with other interns, and was given responsibility that I never thought an intern would get, I wasn't just filing papers/writing spreadsheets. The pay is very generous, I make more money at fidelity than any one I know who interns at another company. I'm able to rent an apartment by myself, and save enough to last me the whole school year on my hourly wage alone.

ConsMore of a personal con, but they don't have a major site in my hometown. I have no real cons, it's an awesome company.

Great place to work out of college

Brokerage Operations Representative (Former Employee) Westlake, TX

ProsFidelity is a great place to get your feet wet within the investment finance world. The training is top notch and the management for the most part is extremely knowledgeable. The benefits are great!

ConsThe pay is pretty low for what you would think an investment finance company would pay, fairly difficult to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!

Great Place to Work

Software Engineer/Developer (Current Employee) Westlake, TX

ProsThe office environment is great. I love just about everyone there. You even have the chance to interact with the Senior Management Team from time to time. All employees are very knowledgable. Always open to new ideas and the Work/Life balance is great.

ConsCompared to other places the base salary is not that great.
    Unnecessary training
    People with less seniority seem to do more of the administrative work

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing well with cutting down on bureaucracy. When you ask for ideas, do better at trying to follow through.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

disappointment

Operations Analyst (Former Employee) Westlake, TX

Proscompany benefits are okay. most managers are very talented, approachable, and professional

Conslack of advancement opportunities. some managers lack important skills in their positions. these individuals were promoted not because of knowledge, experience, or proper skills, but only for knowing the "right people."

Advice to Senior Managementconsider promoting more talented and experienced people with the ability to communicate with his or her team effectively.

Broken promises

Help Desk Specialist (Former Employee) Westlake, TX

ProsEasy job to get since they're always hiring. This is also a major reason that their training program is so good.
    High turnover rate can lead to quick promotions early on.

ConsThe promised benefits rarely occur. They advertise flexible work options, but the mid-level managers aren't on board with it so in practice don't expect the promises to be kept.
    If you're cynical and uncaring enough to take advantage of customers, step on co-workers, and generally engage in anti-social behavior in order to get ahead, then this is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like they matter. Anyone intelligent enough to be succeed in a knowledge-based position is not going to be stupid enough to believe that times are lean and we have to accept cuts when management is simultaneously cheering their record year and giving themselves multi-million dollar bonuses.

Worked there for over 18 years and enjoyed working with others there.

V P (Former Employee) Westlake, TX

ProsSolid company values and compensation

ConsWestlake was to be one of two areas to grow and be center of excellence but didn't happen.

Great Benefits

Electronic Channel Support Representative (Current Employee) Westlake, TX

ProsGood benefits, relaxing environment, na

Consthey play politics in certain job roles vs going off of qualifications

Stable and still a good place to work

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Westlake, TX

ProsPrivate company provides stability, and strong values allow true customer focus.
    Rocket-paced growth of the 90's has been replaced with slow growth and stability.
    Consistent organizational improvement. Sr. Management has improved over the last 10-15 years - the bad ones leave and the good ones stay are rotated through different areas.
    Although challenging personalities and work goals exist (as they do anywhere), respect and professionalism wins over personal ego at this company.
    Very good benefits, excellent 401k match, but health cost have risen substantially in past few years.
    Average employee tenure has risen substantially due to high retention rate and slower growth.

ConsLong tenure in many areas limit promotion opportunities.
    Salary less than some competitors (but offset by benefits).
    Management positions tend to be stretched thin, so expect some long hours. Definitely some gaps in HR defined positions defined and business duties required.
    Salary growth has been non-existent since 2007.
    Hourly positions tend to have seasonal overtime which can be quite high.
    Historically has been known by customers as a 'many-headed Hydra' due to independently managed business units and departments (this is changing due to customer focus).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to rotate management and consolidate similar operations and business functions.
    Continue customer focus.
    Reward the long-term employees who stuck through the 2008-2012 downturn without pay raises.
    Re-engineer the positions defined to the business capabilities required. HR needs to let the business define what roles they need!

Great place of employment.

Inheritor Service Specialist (Current Employee) Westlake, TX

ProsReally great culture and wonderful people to work with and alongside. Benefits are great, and the work-life balance is more than you could ask.

ConsDepending on the manager, they may not be as invested in your growth. In my time, I've been under three managers, two of which were great and one not-so-great. It's difficult to move within the company, but there are an array of possibilities, so as long as you know the right people and where you want to go, you can move around.

Advice to Senior ManagementDue to the sites being so spread out, it's hard to advance in career. Possibly have specializations amongst the different sites.

Excellent big family experience

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Westlake, TX

Prosgood salary, good 401k contribution, good bonus and good profit sharing. Excellent opportunities for career growth.

Conssome times too much process oriented

Worked for Fidelity Investments? Contribute to the Community!