Fidelity National Financial

Updated November 12, 2014
Updated November 12, 2014

Fidelity National Financial CEO Raymond R. Quirk
Raymond R. Quirk

Pros
  • No Cubicles, Open Common Space, Collaboration, Free Coffee, Work-Life Balance (in 3 reviews)

• You will get to work for the nation's largest title insurance company, which gives you access to many resources to do your job (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • No professional growth opportunities, its all about making money for upper management (in 5 reviews)

• Fidelity's primary objective is to get more for senior management at the expense of the ordinary worker bees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

A Nice Place to work.....

Current Employee - Paralegal in Roseland, NJ
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Roseland, NJ

I have been working at Fidelity National Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good vacation and sick time, 401K and nice stock plan. Co-workers aresome of the best co-workers I have ever met!

Cons

long corporate hours and you are on a clock- clock in, clock out. Work isn't steady. Some days there is nothing to do and others I am racing around. The days with nothing to do are LONG as sitting from 8:30-5:30 with nothing to do is a very long time.

Keep your resume current and keep looking for another job!!!

I worked at Fidelity National Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are good. You are protected from the elements while doing your job. Those who are employed there are typically well-educated, personable people ... although all of them are desperately seeking another employer.

Cons

The cons are many. Plan an an experience that is comparable to being in high school, in that there are the "popular" people and "all the rest". There is no rhyme or reason to who is "popular". It does not depend on the quality of your work or the amount of effort you put in. If you are NOT "popular", then your days are numbered from the very beginning. To have a job with Fidelity is simply to be between jobs. You will not be allowed to have a career here.

While fear can be a "motivator", it is neither an efficient nor an effective motivator. Real leadership requires a bit of transparency and the courage to say "Good Job!" to someone who has earned it. Real leadership also requires honesty. If you intend to function as "a mill" (where you suck people in, use them up and spit them out), then just tell folks the truth at the outset. It is the rampant dishonesty from management that makes everyone sick.

Things Change

Former Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Fidelity National Financial full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company use to be all about hiring outstanding talent and providing excellent compensation packages and letting people just do their jobs.

Cons

That is how it use to be. Changes in upper management lead to a change in how the company functions. It is now run from the ivory tower in Jacksonville. To do your job all you have to do is implement the newest company initiative and be one of upper managements favorites.

Find new management. Realize it is the employees that work hard producing revenue that make the company not people with titles.

Its all about the numbers

Former Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fidelity National Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to operate independently without a lot of supervision. Flexible in travel.

Cons

No professional growth opportunities, its all about making money for upper management.

Develop a comprehensive HR program that makes employees feel more engaged in the overall success of the company.

Title Insurance Industry - What the Inexperienced may not know

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Fidelity National Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working for this company can be fruitful and bountiful if you are within the business itself as part of a profit center. The rewards can be monthly, quarterly, bi-annually and annually. There can even be bonuses that happen after specific projects or exemplary actions for the success of the business.

Cons

The very "Pros" of the company are the "Cons" if on the "wrong-side of the house" - that is to say, anything but the business side. After nearly a decade of working within technology and noting the way minor staff to senior management are ignored and neglected after months of planning and execution on "COST SAVINGS" initiatives without any bonus or financial reward. The business can abuse and burn money and then leave it in the hands of the core business and infrastructure & technology employees to pick up the pieces of the executive management and business branch's haphazardly way of business.

The best advice I could give to management would more than likely be ignored because the systematic methodology of William Foley, also known as Bill, to acquire a business and take all of the profitable components of the business and strip it off to sell and leave the carcass of the previous business behind to wilt and fail after being sold off for pennies on the dollar.

Investors will love to see how the parent holding company, Fidelity National Financial, will fluctuate with profit on acquiring a great asset but other investors should be terrified if they hear that FNF is in the process of acquiring a stock they own. Employees of that business would be wise as well to listen to the tell-tale signs of acquisitions and find another job as soon as possible because sadly, upon acquisition, the company will be torn apart.

If this paints a positive picture in your eyes management, then there is no advice I can give. If it does not, then think about "the long-term plan" and how "steady" gains can be more reputable to stock holders AND employees than the "wheel and deal" methods that presently exist. Your investors will be more consistent and they will hold the stock long-term as opposed to selling it all the moment their is rumor and or speculation of business decline. Recognize that the company can utilize its capital more effectively, and reward those that find those solutions in acquiring it AND utilizing it effectively afterwards.

Change the existing dogma of the executive brand to only reward the business that creates revenue initially but lack the foresight maintain that profitable financial trend. Take trips or coordinate teleconferences with each of the regions and speak with both the business & technology branch managers to determine the health of the title industry on a quarterly basis. Sustainability is the key to success and if the business can maintain the working staff it has consistently, it can react more quickly and effectively in a time of increased business instead of acquiring inexperienced people to enact upon those upward trends.

Great company to work and great people.

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Fidelity National Financial full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are great to work with.

Cons

Salary is consistently below the median.

Recognize and pay attention to your talent.

One of the best companies I've worked for.

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Fidelity National Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong management, good people, 9-5 job

Cons

The headcount matrix can be unrealistic, no annual reviews

Dump or enforce the five precepts, rather than make plaques and mouse pads with the ideas

Valued employees are expendible for cheaper off-shore workers.

Former Employee - IT Development/Test in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - IT Development/Test in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Fidelity National Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My paycheck was always received on time.

Cons

I worked for FNF (and its’ related companies LPS and BKFS) for over 8 years in a senior IT position. I attended many quarterly town-hall meetings where we were told how well the company was doing and how wonderful and important and valuable their employees were.

Last year they bought, staffedand trained an IT facility in India. Upper Management told us several times the folks there were to "supplement" our US resources and were not "replacing" our US resources. They would "off-load" some of our "lack of resources" problems.

And then one day, I was called into a meeting and told that my senior position was no longer required and it was being moved to India. I was told it had nothing to do with my work performance, it was merely a "reduction in force". The 2 kids in India who were replacing me earn $4000/year (that's $2/hour) - which I understand was great money over there. So I could be replaced (on paper) by 15 kids and the bean counters were still savings money. I guess my senior experience and track record of always making promised deliveries and schedules was not important any more.

To make it more insulting and un-dignified, I was not allowed to go back to my desk to pack up my personal belongings! I was walked to the door. Some (not all) of my personal belongings were shipped to me. I was missing several of my personal books and personal documents which were not FNF property.

My last few years at FNF were not very positive. I saw a lot of employees who did not do their job, with no repercussions. I know of at least one team that was built mostly with inexperienced friends of the manager - they weren't hired for "what they knew", they were hired for "who they knew". And the team constantly missed their promised deliveries. In general, there never seemed to be any accountability on late or incorrect or incomplete deliverables and projects or folks not performing their job. Very rarely did I see any management decision to improve the way work was done.

Likewise, there was very little recognition for doing a great job. The yearly performance review was a big joke - it was just a formality with mostly unrealistic and unachievable goals that employees were told to include in their yearly goals. And your yearly performance did not seem to matter in any salary adjustments (i.e. for the years that they did provide small raises.) Town hall meetings would tell us how successful the company was, how earnings were up, all due to the concerned and valuable employees, but wait, we don't have any money to give you a raise this year. But there seemed to be always be money for huge bonuses for the executives (you can find these amazing bonuses by name by doing a Google search).

FNF is a typical CMM Level 1 shop where a few hero's get all the work done, but lack any recognition or reward. They seem to have no motivation for any process improvement.

If you find a job at FNF, expect to work very hard, with no tangiable rewards.And to be lead by poor management.

My "thank you" for 8 years at FNF was to be escorted to the door. I guess "yesterday" I was a valued and trusted professional, but "today" I was not.

Does getting a big bonus mean you can tell lies to the employees?

Fidelity is a pretty decent place to work for

Current Employee - Title Examiner in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Title Examiner in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Fidelity National Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Laid back environment and decent pay for not having any college under my belt. Management is pretty good, always works with you when it comes to needing to take time off for family emergencies and stuff.

Cons

Raises, if you can call them that (3-5%) are few and FAR between.

Okay, Not Great

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Fidelity National Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Bureaucracy kept to a minimum. Free coffee, plus all the standard benefits. Minimum micro-management. Each unit has lots of independence as a unit.

Cons

Stingy company - two raises in ten years of service. Lack of generosity and care for employees. Downsized after ten years with no severance pay, just standard unemployment. My particular boss did not have a good sense of work-life balance in my opinion.

Ease up, give back to the employees. Be generous and caring. Make provisions for work-life balance. Show leadership by more communication from the top.

Fidelity National Financial Photos