Fidelity National Financial

Updated January 25, 2015
Updated January 25, 2015

Fidelity National Financial CEO Raymond R. Quirk
Raymond R. Quirk

Pros
  • No Cubicles, Open Common Space, Collaboration, Free Coffee, Work-Life Balance (in 3 reviews)

• You will get to work for the nation's largest title insurance company, which gives you access to many resources to do your job (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • No professional growth opportunities, its all about making money for upper management (in 5 reviews)

• Fidelity's primary objective is to get more for senior management at the expense of the ordinary worker bees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the best companies I've worked for.

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Fidelity National Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong management, good people, 9-5 job

Cons

The headcount matrix can be unrealistic, no annual reviews

Dump or enforce the five precepts, rather than make plaques and mouse pads with the ideas

Valued employees are expendible for cheaper off-shore workers.

Former Employee - IT Development/Test in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - IT Development/Test in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Fidelity National Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My paycheck was always received on time.

Cons

I worked for FNF (and its’ related companies LPS and BKFS) for over 8 years in a senior IT position. I attended many quarterly town-hall meetings where we were told how well the company was doing and how wonderful and important and valuable their employees were.

Last year they bought, staffedand trained an IT facility in India. Upper Management told us several times the folks there were to "supplement" our US resources and were not "replacing" our US resources. They would "off-load" some of our "lack of resources" problems.

And then one day, I was called into a meeting and told that my senior position was no longer required and it was being moved to India. I was told it had nothing to do with my work performance, it was merely a "reduction in force". The 2 kids in India who were replacing me earn $4000/year (that's $2/hour) - which I understand was great money over there. So I could be replaced (on paper) by 15 kids and the bean counters were still savings money. I guess my senior experience and track record of always making promised deliveries and schedules was not important any more.

To make it more insulting and un-dignified, I was not allowed to go back to my desk to pack up my personal belongings! I was walked to the door. Some (not all) of my personal belongings were shipped to me. I was missing several of my personal books and personal documents which were not FNF property.

My last few years at FNF were not very positive. I saw a lot of employees who did not do their job, with no repercussions. I know of at least one team that was built mostly with inexperienced friends of the manager - they weren't hired for "what they knew", they were hired for "who they knew". And the team constantly missed their promised deliveries. In general, there never seemed to be any accountability on late or incorrect or incomplete deliverables and projects or folks not performing their job. Very rarely did I see any management decision to improve the way work was done.

Likewise, there was very little recognition for doing a great job. The yearly performance review was a big joke - it was just a formality with mostly unrealistic and unachievable goals that employees were told to include in their yearly goals. And your yearly performance did not seem to matter in any salary adjustments (i.e. for the years that they did provide small raises.) Town hall meetings would tell us how successful the company was, how earnings were up, all due to the concerned and valuable employees, but wait, we don't have any money to give you a raise this year. But there seemed to be always be money for huge bonuses for the executives (you can find these amazing bonuses by name by doing a Google search).

FNF is a typical CMM Level 1 shop where a few hero's get all the work done, but lack any recognition or reward. They seem to have no motivation for any process improvement.

If you find a job at FNF, expect to work very hard, with no tangiable rewards.And to be lead by poor management.

My "thank you" for 8 years at FNF was to be escorted to the door. I guess "yesterday" I was a valued and trusted professional, but "today" I was not.

Does getting a big bonus mean you can tell lies to the employees?

Fidelity is a pretty decent place to work for

Current Employee - Title Examiner in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Title Examiner in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Fidelity National Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Laid back environment and decent pay for not having any college under my belt. Management is pretty good, always works with you when it comes to needing to take time off for family emergencies and stuff.

Cons

Raises, if you can call them that (3-5%) are few and FAR between.

Okay, Not Great

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Fidelity National Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Bureaucracy kept to a minimum. Free coffee, plus all the standard benefits. Minimum micro-management. Each unit has lots of independence as a unit.

Cons

Stingy company - two raises in ten years of service. Lack of generosity and care for employees. Downsized after ten years with no severance pay, just standard unemployment. My particular boss did not have a good sense of work-life balance in my opinion.

Ease up, give back to the employees. Be generous and caring. Make provisions for work-life balance. Show leadership by more communication from the top.

Great entry level experience, many diversified branches in large Fortune 500 company.

Current Employee - Operations Data Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Data Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Fidelity National Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Resume builder, Fortune 500 company, good management and overall operation.

Cons

Limited mobility, lack of reviews and feedback on performance.

It is extremely important to foster growth in all employees, regardless of their 'rank' within the corporate ladder. Make a greater effort in developing your employees - your investment will be worth it.

Office Experience

I have been working at Fidelity National Financial

Pros

We have access to a lot of resources and platforms.

Cons

Everything is planed out. We have to review a lot before we move forward with projects. Need a proper testing lab.

Great company

Current Employee - Accountant
    Current Employee - Accountant

I have been working at Fidelity National Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Professional, managers treat pretty fairly, very easy going company that keeps you busy. Company has somewhat flexible hours in my department. Very understanding of family verses work schedule

Cons

Wish we could work at home some

The death of legal career dreams

Current Employee - Claims Counsel in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Claims Counsel in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Fidelity National Financial (more than 3 years)

Pros

Allows you to keep food on the table, perhaps pay enough toward your loans to keep the collection agencies at bay... but, do not believe that this will enhance your legal career in any way...

Cons

Too many to list. Avoid the claims/recoupment departments at all costs.

Used to be a great company

Former Employee - Quality Analyst in Solon, OH
    Former Employee - Quality Analyst in Solon, OH

I worked at Fidelity National Financial full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Can't think of any. In the past is was a great company to work for. Hours were decent

Cons

Poor management, favortisim, layoffs, hours, work load, no work/life balance. Staff is treated like outsiders. Management has no knowledge or skills in the industry. If you aren't in the click, you're out

Get rid of the management staff you have in there and turn that company into what it used to be

Good people great benefits

Current Employee - Operations in Westlake, TX
    Current Employee - Operations in Westlake, TX

Pros

You never stop learning and growing.

Cons

Overtime is mandatory in some departments and you always have to work extremely hard.

too much fear...don't sweat the small stuff

Fidelity National Financial Photos