Fidelity National Financial

Updated August 11, 2014

3.1

Fidelity National Financial CEO Raymond R. Quirk
Raymond R. Quirk

Pros
  • No Cubicles, Open Common Space, Collaboration, Free Coffee, Work-Life Balance (in 3 reviews)

• Their have a decent benefits package (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Fidelity's primary objective is to get more for senior management at the expense of the ordinary worker bees (in 3 reviews)

• My particular boss did not have a good sense of work-life balance in my opinion (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Management needs an overhaul

Current Employee - Escrow Officer  in  Escondido, CA
    Current Employee - Escrow Officer in Escondido, CA

I have been working at Fidelity National Financial

Pros

I loved having flex time and the opportunity to telecommute. The people are what I love most about the company. Even though the management processes aren't my favorite, I still consider the people a second family.

Cons

I had to harass my manager for a review and a raise which occured once out of the five years I worked for the company despite several promotions. We never received a commission even when business was booming. Lower level management lacks backbone and won't be frank with upper management about staff issues or even production problems. Management has been know to yell at employees in front of any one listening. No one is getting performance reviews which may be part of the reason poor managers are kept in their roles for so long.

Evaluate the mangement team and remove leaders who lack vision and forward thinking. Remove leaders who are meek and afraid to even correct their staff on minor issues. Be open about upcoming changes. Be open about job openings instead of holding private meetings and then suddenly announcing promotions. There should be a fair application process to promotion opportunities instead of management hand picking their favorite friends.

heads up

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Fidelity National Financial

Pros

its a job...and I appreciate having a job in this screwed-up economy. but, this is the most mismanaged company I've ever worked for.

Cons

this company has weak leadership. management doesn't spend a minute on motivation. it more of a 'what have you done for me lately' type of attitude

look and review your managers! are the the best out there. do they ever get reviewed? god knows that we don't!

Commercial and Public Real Estate

Current Employee - Commercial Projects/Public Acquisitions Manager
    Current Employee - Commercial Projects/Public Acquisitions Manager

I have been working at Fidelity National Financial

Pros

If you have the fortune of working with a small group of people instead of in a large office, the atmosphere tends to be much better and enjoyable.
    When things are going good, everyone is happy and the money is flowing.

Cons

Management is very sales and residential driven. Even though the commercial sector has clients that are much more intelligent and easier to work with. There is little if any incentive to be able to advance your career. This is a company where people go here to stay and are happy to not go above and beyond their requirements.

Work on getting a much younger enthusiastic core of employees to work for the company. Change the way that the departments are structures (i.e., have a system where from the top - down one side of the company works with any and all issues in residential, not commercial and government together... split these dept.'s up). Majority of the people have a working knowledge of residential and that is it. Tunnel vision.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very politically motivated reviews, promotions, job assignments

Current Employee - Principal Systems Analyst
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Analyst

I have been working at Fidelity National Financial

Pros

Good knowledgeable people who have been working for a long time. The best people to go to for advice are those that have been there for a long time.

Cons

If you're someone who doesn't rock the boat, and just say yes to everything your manager says then you will get promoted after you have worked for a group for longer than 5 years. You also have be White person and a Male to get promoted. Women are often insulted, talked down to and asked to take only Project Management roles. Peers are not respected. Managers hate managing more than one or two people at a time and are often abusive. No prior warning is given that the mid-year review will be bad, if work doesn't improve.

Take a good hard look at the senior management staff. Lacking in diversity is a good sign that the company is not moving in the right direction.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Fidelity National Financial

Pros

Fidelity National Financial is a good place to work. They have great benefits and a decent management staff. Excellent support staff that was always there for trainers.

Cons

There weren't really any cons except for management was a little heavy-handed in their management style other than that Fidelity was a good place to work.

It was a little frustrating to get noticed by the boss because she had her favorites. I would recommend that you go above and beyond your job description to get the recognition you deserve.

You are a "number" to them.

Former Employee - IT Professional  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Fidelity National Financial

Pros

Lower and middle management is filled with many great people. The employees are dedicated and take pride in their jobs. Middle management does their best to shield their employees from the wrath of the upper management.

Cons

As probably with many large companies, you are but a number to upper management. Layoffs are regular come annual report time. It is all about looking good for the stockholders. Each year benefits have been trimmed and offices thinned. many employees are doing the job of 3 or more people as many have been laid off. This is before the market went sour.

Show the same loyalty to your employees that they have shown you.

Not the best title company to work for

Former Employee - Title Examiner  in  McClellan, CA
    Former Employee - Title Examiner in McClellan, CA

I worked at Fidelity National Financial

Pros

They promote to new positions from within, and if you show you have ability it does get recognized.

Cons

Poor communication from management to staff, too much mandatory overtime. If they like you, you'll do well, but if management decides that you're a problem, forget progressing with the company.

Show your employees that you really do appreciate them, not just say it. Do not make mandatory weekend overtime so early or so many (six to eight) hours. Treat subordinates with respect. Be more professional with communications to staff. Be sure all staff is aware of changes in procedures. Give employees the company holidays off or have minimal staff working rather than requiring everyone to come in, and if everyone does need to come in, please provide more than a few days notice.

Its a tolerable place to work, but longevity is always an issue . . .

Former Employee - Underwriter  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fidelity National Financial

Pros

If you are an "up and coming" sales type, you can make good money doing something that most of the world thinks is pretty easy - selling title insurance. Most everyone just assumes that he will get it as part of his real estate transaction, so you don't really have to sell. What you do have to do is build relationships with the real estate agents that are selling the houses, and they will refer their clients to you. In fact, they will even fill in the form for the client, because the client doesn't know who to pick. The escrow side is harder, as you actually have to know something to be able to do escrow (I don't think most sales reps even know what they are selling!) and you have to get licensed.

Cons

You are completely at the whim of the company when it comes time to look at laying off people. Every economic or housing downturn, the company will lay people off. Most of the time, the company will lay off the most experienced people rather than the newbies -- and get this, then they will hire temporary workers who know nothing about title insurance or a title plant or research, and put them to doing the work that the laid off workers did. It seems really silly to lay people off who know what they are doing, and then a scant 6 months later hire temps who know nothing.

I would suggest that the company rein in some of its overzealous sales people, particularly in the commercial markets where they promise the moon because they get paid on commission, and then leave it to others to fix the mess. The sales people are poorly trained to sell a product they really don't understand

Not the One

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Fidelity National Financial

Pros

Interesting work in a complex industry

Cons

Poor management that does not really understand industry

Learn about the industry and listen to employees

best platform to start career

Current Employee - Title Searcher  in  Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Title Searcher in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Fidelity National Financial full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

no to tell about FNF listed in NYSE

Cons

growing company well developed , beter services

Worked for Fidelity National Financial? Contribute to the Community!