FierceMarkets

Updated December 15, 2014
3.2

Maurice Bakley
1 Rating

Fun company to work for, learn a lot, low pay

Former Employee - Associate Editor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in Washington, DC

I worked at FierceMarkets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual environment (jeans every day, free soda and coffee, many office potlucks and happy hours, boss sometimes goes around handing out beer). Opportunity to learn a lot of business and editorial skills. No editorial content paywalled. Plenty of opportunity for conference travel. Very team-based environment, not a big feeling of not knowing what the higher ups were doing--lots of communication and all hands-on-deck-meetings. Good benefits. Paid publishers holiday between christmas and new years--awesome. Cool, young environment.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. Emphasis on quantity rather than quality of work. Lots of turnover and sometimes they never re-hire people, giving the work to remaining employees with no extra pay. Not serious journalism, if that's what you're going for. You will be too busy juggling editorial tasks like social media, webinar recruitment and editing to pursue big stories.

Technology Internship Review

Former Employee - Technology Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Technology Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at FierceMarkets as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Really awesome company culture. Dress code was laid back and the office had a very fun environment. Was able to learn about the core functions of the company and the B2B marketplace during a short 4-month internship. I worked part time while still taking 12 credits at school, they were very accomidating with my hours.

Cons

The IT department was very fast paced. I would have liked a little more training at the beginning of the internship so that I was better equipped to take on the different projects.

I would recommend more training for new employee's.

Was good until the takeover

I worked at FierceMarkets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fierce is a well-run, aggressively managed company that seems to be able to dominate any niche it shoots for. It offers great jobs for sharp young minds that are ready to move at a fast pace and be challenged. It also has an excellent reputation in the marketplace, which helps grease the wheels when doing business.

Cons

When I was there, I served under the company's founder, who though capricious and confrontational at times, was very good at steering the ship and creating a reasonably pleasant atmosphere. But once he sold the company to a VC firm and existed, things got tense and managers increasingly petty. Also, at least when I was there, combined sick AND vacation time was only two weeks in total (though the health plan was good). Also, on a personal note, I believe I accomplished a great deal for the company, but advancement seemed to be out of the question.

Don't just run a mill cycling through bright young things and freelancers. Give more senior people a chance to expand their duties!

Good company

I worked at FierceMarkets

Pros

They worship profit. Scrooge could learn a lesson or two.

Cons

High volume minimizes in-depth reporting.

Very mixed bag

I have been working at FierceMarkets full-time

Pros

If you are in the right department (vertical), you can have a very positive experience.

Cons

If you choose the wrong publication to write for, you will be in trouble. One vertical in particular has a lot of problems. Success is not based on how well one does one's job, but how well one flatters the head of that vertical--stokes this person's ego. The company has a lot of potential--why does it waste it on a certain "leader" who's all talk/bluster and little action?

Look at the heads of the verticals and don't allow yourselves to be influenced by bluster and fast talk.

Smart people, lousy attitude

I worked at FierceMarkets

Pros

Smart, aggressive people who are generally very good at their jobs. Opportunity for advancement is there if you work hard.

Cons

Good health insurance but otherwise very weak benefits. (Only two weeks of combined vacation/sick time in total!) Arrogant attitude among middle and senior managers despite textbook management "happy talk."

Increase vacation benefits if you haven't already!

Amazing company if you work in the right department

Current Employee - Mid-Level Manager
    Current Employee - Mid-Level Manager

I have been working at FierceMarkets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great prospects for extremely talented people. Liberal office culture that works for those who are self motivated to make the most of their position. You get to learn a lot of things and touch lots of systems.

Cons

Many in leadership are completely in over their heads. Their excuse on being so terrible has to do with their corporate "shareholder" who strangles this once great company. Learned helplessness. The ones in leadership who actually work hard for their employees end up demoralized too, which hurts the rank and file. Too many personal relationships that trump accountability. Often feels like one must be sneaky to get something accomplished.

Very bad IT and operations leadership. Lots of great people in the department who scratch their heads at the micromanagement of lack of trust given to them.

Stop relying on personal relationships as a management technique. Employees can see right through it.