Fifth Street Gaming

Updated June 5, 2014
Updated June 5, 2014

2.6

Seth Schorr

Not bad but It can be better.!

Former Employee - Slot Gaming Technician  in  North Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Slot Gaming Technician in North Las Vegas, NV

Pros

small well trained seasoned crew, Easy to get along management,

Cons

Hard to get raises or promotions

more attention should be placed on the other properties besides Downtown Grand Casino. it seems
    that all resources are funneled to the new location. Old properties like the silver Nugget have a leaking
    roof and all they do is patch it.

Left Hand, Meet Right.

Former Employee - Table Games Dealer/Bar Runner  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Table Games Dealer/Bar Runner in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

It's new, it's exciting, the machines are shiny and the chips are so brand-new, they'll slide right off of each-other!

Cons

New and exciting will become old and dull. There is nothing (Read: NOTHING!!!) to bring anyone over to the Downtown Grand over from Fremont Street. Pizza Rock has some good pies, but it's expensive and too close to Fremont to entice people into the casino. As for the casino itself, there's nothing really special about it. None of the restaurants are anything to sing about, the slots are tighter than most, the table games are dull and please don't get me STARTED on the music! There's a library of about 100 songs, all of which have got to be in the $0.59 bargain bin on Amazon MP3. The place has only been open since November, but more people have already walked out of there than I saw leave the last place I worked in two solid years! And that was one of the Stations! And it wasn't just because of a lack of tips! What casino with no less than four bars (two of which sell cocktails in the $10-20 range) runs out of olives for a solid week? We all knew that there would be "growing pains", walking into this place, and we accepted it as a trade-off for the opportunity to open a brand-new place and to work in a historic building, etc-all very nice. But how many places really expect their employees to hand someone a martini, apologize for the lack of garnish, ask for $11.00 and then take their entire 60-minute break all at once? Now really, that was all just anger vented. What the anger really comes from was the fact that when I had an epileptic seizure, they refused to accommodate me. Rather than take the suggestion proposed by my doctor (which my previous employer had no issue with) it was decided that the accommodation was "not reasonable" and I was instead reassigned to a different position. I had to completely re-learn a job which was much more difficult and physically-demanding and for which I took home about a third of the pay. The stress was overwhelming! Their attitude about it was that they had done me some kind of favor by not firing me and instead finding me something else to do! One supervisor was terrific. When I quit, I truly felt bad for him, leaving him short-handed, but I simply couldn't take the indignity for another minute. save yourself the effort and walk the other way.

Grow a heart. Get over yourselves. One day you may find yourselves in a position where someone is accusing you of "purposefully" breaking a rule when it was a result of something completely out of your control. Then, when you're the one paying penance for your perceived sin, I wonder if you will remember me and suddenly understand how I feel right now? Oh, and as for the magnanimous CEO, answering an employee's email now and again might really go a long way...

Not a bad place to get your feet wet in the industry.

Pros

This place is a good place if you're looking to get yourself established in the bustling gaming industry. You will be introduced to a multitude of experiences and be expected to cater to a very diverse customer base. The pay is on par with the industry standard and there is plenty of work to be done since the company itself is growing.

Cons

The greatest downside is that this company is going through growing pains and trying to establish itself as a identity. Company ethos and culture are not well established and it is expected by all employees to take on roles that they may or may not necessarily be equipped or trained for. While the pay is on par with the industry, the benefits are not.

The "one-size-fits-all" approach may be cost-effective in the short term but is causing not only rift within the organization but also with the customers. Concentrate on the talents and skills of the individuals and properly put them where their strengths are most beneficial to the company as a whole. Establish these roles and then staff accordingly.

Worked for Fifth Street Gaming? Contribute to the Community!