Fifth Third

www.53.com

Fifth Third Reviews in Cincinnati, OH

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Fifth Third President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Fifth Third Bank Kevin T. Kabat

Kevin T. Kabat

Pros
  • They treat their employees terrible and have no regards for work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Worked with some awesome people; good benefits in line with what others offer (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • New upper management in the Chicago area have a personal agenda (in 29 reviews)

• Sales goals are not realistic and the training was inadequate (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights
125 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

No job is perfect, but this one did have more pros than cons.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsWorked at Madisonville location. Great benefits and the opportunity to advance within the company is very positive. Overall the atmosphere is supportive. They handled the layoffs (and continue to layoff) pretty well in who to let go and when. I was a casualty (I'm not bitter about it as I made it through countless rounds of lay offs) but they (HR/ER) still seem to care about you and help you through the exiting process.

ConsMy original manager was laid off whom I had a great rapport with, the new (new to the position, not new to the company) manager is very unperson-able, hard to talk to, very standoffish although very smart and gets the job done. Sometimes to advance into another position is more a political thing or popularity contest. The opportunity to get a bonus is good but to achieve it is hard as you are sometimes penalized for an "error" that is not yours.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more personable, open up with your employees as you intimidate most which causes them not feeling comfortable coming to you to talk to you about anything. This is something that not only I experienced but others too that have mentioned. Need to restructure the incentive program and penalize the appropriate parties.

My time at 5/3rd

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsOverall the company is performing well and the company is very focused on execution and delivering on commitments

ConsBecause of the intense focus on earnings, there tends to be a lot of "fire-drills" and at times an over-focus on this quarters earnings

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the focus on execution but make sure that is balanced a little more against long-term earnings and an intense focus on the customer

Great development opportunities for dedicated employees

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsPretty good pay and benefits; I have had four different managers and none of them were clock watchers; Schedule is flexible as long as you get your work done; talented individuals are rewarded and given plenty of development opportunities; plenty of opportunities to work in different areas of the bank and in different affiliates from Michigan to Florida.

ConsOpen positions are sometimes filled politically rather than being based on merit and experience.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Supportive Leadership and Adheres to Values

Internal Audit Associate (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsI like the diversity of thought that you find here at the Bank. Thought leadership is the "new" buzzword, and i truly feel like the Bank is a thought leader. I work on the corporate level and everyday you interact with management that trudged through the financial collapse, VPs that have been here decades, and Young Professionals.

ConsPerformance management may be a little off, although they attempt to make it standardized... its difficult to find instances where a "needs improvement" is superseded by higher due to an better understanding of the situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementPM scores on the 1-5 scale should be revisited. A number means nothing if two people don't have the same understanding of that number.

Good benefits....Job not so good

Mortgage Underwriter (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

Prosgood benefits, pay and vacation. Nothing else about the job was good.

ConsWorked for 5/3 Mortgage. Worked like people in a sweatshop for the first three years and then laid off when business slowed down. Middle management is awful. No one who was in management had any experience managing nor any experience in doing the job I did. No one to go to for direction. Different answers all the time. Managers could not make decisions because they had no experience. Employees not treated with respect and not input from employees was never asked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over with the entire management team in mortgage.

It was a growing experience in the commercial financial world that helped me understand business loans and skills.

Consumer Credit Underwriter (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsThe benefits far out way any bank I have ever worked at before and I have worked at four different financial and banking institutions.

ConsAge discrimination is a problem at Fifth Third Bank. After you turn 55 and older it becomes an issue for any future considered promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat every employee as if they matter, look at them for possibilities with an open mind. Find out what is really going on.,

It all depends what department and manager you have...

Accounting (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsStock discount program and some very knowledgeable people. Hours aren't bad in accounting.

ConsFifth Third is a very large employer in Cincinnati so I can't generalize all jobs they offer. All I can do is tell you both Capital markets and Corporate accounting have some very high turnover (Sec reporting and regulation seemed fine). In my time there (less than 2 years) I watched practically the entire department turnover from manager down. People were fired after a few months for not learning quick enough, people would leave less than a month after starting because they hated it, people would leave after having to do other peoples' jobs on top of their own because there was so much turnover, and of course they would leave because the pay wasn't all that great. I also watched 2 people at the director level consistently gossip and bad mouth those they didn't like while giving special treatment to those they did like. If you do get offered a job in either of these two departments please do your homework on why the job is open and what the expectations for you are because I've seen just as many sinkers as swimmers.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt comes from the top down. Poston (former CFO) was demoted, so hopefully some lessons have been learned. Culture is horrendous here though. Very ridged and practically military in "going through the chain of command." Rarely did i ever have interaction with anyone beyond direct supervisor. A lot of favoritism, politics, and high turnover. Really need to take a look at what's causing this in the accounting department...look no further than those at the director level who treat subordinates poorly while kissing up to superiors.

No Career Path

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsFree parking if you are in Operations.

ConsThe company has pushed the "One Bank" philosophy for 3 years now, but in reality each department is in it's own little silo and they rarely speak to each other unless something goes wrong. Upper mananagement is more concerned with their own bonuses and less about developing their people. Salary increases are miniscule and each year they ask employees to pay yet a larger share of benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd advise upper management to actually talk to the people who do the work around here. We have plenty of "thinkers", but when it comes to people actually doing work, they don't care. Turnover is high because folks get burned out and when it comes to managers developing their people, it doesn't exist. Not only can you not find out internally what positions in other parts of the company are available, you have no clue how to develop the skills to get there. When it comes to the "old boys" network, this bank seems to lead the pack. If you are male and you have connections, you can continue to climb the corporate ladder regardless on your qualifications, but if you're a woman, good luck!!

Pretty good company

Process Improvement Analyst (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsThe people are the best part of the job. There is also a good amount of room for advancement.

ConsAverage pay
    The only way to get a decent raise is to leave company and come back

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest more appropriate raises for top level performers. The raise difference between a 3 and 4 is non-existent.

Not an outstanding company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsGreat pay for corporate work. Benefits are decent.

ConsCompany treats its customers horribly with outdated and unfair policies. The company also constantly shoots itself in the foot with terrible decisions and system mistakes making it harder on the employees who have to deal with the fallout of any mistakes involving customers. The training was also very poor and mostly "trial by fire." I would not recommend this company, especially any position with the corporate call centers.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to get more in touch with the employees on the front lines and learn from them. There is so much you could be doing to better serve your customers instead of your wallets.

Worked for Fifth Third? Contribute to the Community!