Fifth Third

Fifth Third Reviews in Cincinnati, OH

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
3.2

Fifth Third President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Fifth Third Bank Kevin T. Kabat
Kevin T. Kabat

Pros
  • Work-life balance is easily attained when working at Fifth Third Bank (in 21 reviews)

• Worked with some awesome people; good benefits in line with what others offer (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't understand things that happen within the branch (in 31 reviews)

• Sales goals are not realistic and the training was inadequate (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

148 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

No Career Path

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free parking if you are in Operations.

Cons

The company has pushed the "One Bank" philosophy for 3 years now, but in reality each department is in it's own little silo and they rarely speak to each other unless something goes wrong. Upper mananagement is more concerned with their own bonuses and less about developing their people. Salary increases are miniscule and each year they ask employees to pay yet a larger share of benefits.

I'd advise upper management to actually talk to the people who do the work around here. We have plenty of "thinkers", but when it comes to people actually doing work, they don't care. Turnover is high because folks get burned out and when it comes to managers developing their people, it doesn't exist. Not only can you not find out internally what positions in other parts of the company are available, you have no clue how to develop the skills to get there. When it comes to the "old boys" network, this bank seems to lead the pack. If you are male and you have connections, you can continue to climb the corporate ladder regardless on your qualifications, but if you're a woman, good luck!!

It all depends what department and manager you have...

Current Employee - Accounting in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Accounting in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stock discount program and some very knowledgeable people. Hours aren't bad in accounting.

Cons

Fifth Third is a very large employer in Cincinnati so I can't generalize all jobs they offer. All I can do is tell you both Capital markets and Corporate accounting have some very high turnover (Sec reporting and regulation seemed fine). In my time there (less than 2 years) I watched practically the entire department turnover from manager down. People were fired after a few months for not learning quick enough, people would leave less than a month after starting because they hated it, people would leave after having to do other peoples' jobs on top of their own because there was so much turnover, and of course they would leave because the pay wasn't all that great. I also watched 2 people at the director level consistently gossip and bad mouth those they didn't like while giving special treatment to those they did like. If you do get offered a job in either of these two departments please do your homework on why the job is open and what the expectations for you are because I've seen just as many sinkers as swimmers.

It comes from the top down. Poston (former CFO) was demoted, so hopefully some lessons have been learned. Culture is horrendous here though. Very ridged and practically military in "going through the chain of command." Rarely did i ever have interaction with anyone beyond direct supervisor. A lot of favoritism, politics, and high turnover. Really need to take a look at what's causing this in the accounting department...look no further than those at the director level who treat subordinates poorly while kissing up to superiors.

Pretty good company

Current Employee - Process Improvement Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Process Improvement Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are the best part of the job. There is also a good amount of room for advancement.

Cons

Average pay
    The only way to get a decent raise is to leave company and come back

I would suggest more appropriate raises for top level performers. The raise difference between a 3 and 4 is non-existent.

Not an outstanding company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay for corporate work. Benefits are decent.

Cons

Company treats its customers horribly with outdated and unfair policies. The company also constantly shoots itself in the foot with terrible decisions and system mistakes making it harder on the employees who have to deal with the fallout of any mistakes involving customers. The training was also very poor and mostly "trial by fire." I would not recommend this company, especially any position with the corporate call centers.

You need to get more in touch with the employees on the front lines and learn from them. There is so much you could be doing to better serve your customers instead of your wallets.

Too much micro managing

Current Employee - Homeowners Assistance Counselor in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Homeowners Assistance Counselor in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, extra monthly bonuses if you hit goal, flexible time off, 2 weeks vacation in your first year with paid sick days and paid holidays

Cons

Everything you do is timed on your phone, controlled by your phone, not family friendly, rules change all the time, management doesn't know what the left is doing from the right, managers aren't willing to get you the proper training you need

Learn how to communicate with your team, don't just expect that they know what they are doing and listen to them when they have ideas

Difficult to find work-life balance, not as professional as one would expect, but money was good.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salaries are on par with job responsibility

Cons

About 5-10 years behind in technology, lack of trust in employees, back-stabbing is rampant. Work environment is cubicles with minimal sound barriers and foot-traffic flow right through the work areas.

Invest more in technology - much more. View employees as assets, treat them with more respect and trust

CSR

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work at cant complain

Cons

Demanding sometimes try and find work life balance is hard to find . But I manage and make it thru.

Noting

Never a dull moment

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers! I have seen several co-workers get promoted to PB's and 2 of them moved to Chicago and we were sad to see them leave! Our office is good at teamwork. Good sales experience. Learned about banking and that helped me in my personal life! It feels rewarding when you help someone in a bad financial situation. Can be very rewarding. They like to promote from within, so that's a big plus! Monthly point clubs if you exceed 100% of your monthly sales goals. Fun to go to as it feels good to be recognized by the regional manager. Very repetitive though, but still fun to go to. Hey, it's free food! Free parking downtown Cincinnati on Fountain Square! My managers are good and know what they're doing. Professional employees that are mature.

Cons

1: Point structure just changed for 2014 and it is much worse than what it was. Feels like we're not helping customers anymore because they only focus on "transitioning" the customer from the front line to the back offices where the PB's can have conversations with customers. People transition customers for the smallest things that we can do on the teller line just to get points. It's sad but we have to.
    2: Micromanaging is quite common. It needs to stop. We all know what we're doing.
    3: Daily "huddles" are good to get new ideas and products out there and let the CSR's know what's new, but they're soo repetitive. CSR's know what we're doing. Don't insult us please!
    4: Now have a cap on how much commission you can earn on one customer. That is not fair and not good for employee morale and drive!
    5: Too many office favorites. Some lack attention because they're average. Feels like they only want the best people and the rest fall into another category.

Stop the micromanaging. Pay CSR's more per hour because we are knowledgeable, and the low pay is not rewarding. Have one-on-one's more often! Actually care about your employees, and not just about what their point goal % is.

I'd look somewhere else if I were you.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tuition Reimbursement for qualified degrees.

Cons

Management does not appear to care about staff. Pay is not competitive

The worst job I had in my 40 years of working

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

absolutely none. this was a horrible experience. It was like working in sweathouse and in salary. I think being unemployed is better than working there

Cons

No money, long hours, micro management, horrible. working conditions, no future just a lose lose altogether

Learn respect, slavery is gone. Management do not always have all the answers. Peones are people and we demand respect. (Amy Ingles), Keli Clements