Fifth Third Reviews

Updated April 23, 2015
211 reviews filtered by
  • Ohio
3.3
Fifth Third President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Fifth Third Bank Kevin T. Kabat
Kevin T. Kabat

1. Vice President

Current Employee - Vice President in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Vice President in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and opportunities to learn. Advancement difficult above VP. Solid Midwest bank that remains true to its conservative Cincinnati roots. Like many companies here, senior management tends to have very long (20+ years tenure). That's good and bad.

Cons

As mentioned in the Pro section the long tenure of senior management tends to promote resistance to change. That's probably not particular to 5/3. Banking is a restrictive place to be these days.

2. Amazing!

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Welcoming atmosphere. Everyone works as a team. Great goals as a company and they treat their employees well with benefits and incentives!

Cons

Only down side is that they havent expanded throughout the U.S. yet.

Advice to Management

Please expand to the West so I can come back to work for Fifth Third. I miss my job.

3. Customer Service Rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was in a bank mart so we had extended hours and we were open 7 days a week. They was nice because it allowed me to have a more flexible schedule. But working the weekends and evenings got old after about 2 years of doing it all the time. Great benefits

Cons

They expected a lot from the tellers. They put too much stress on them. I was on track to be a manager and they kept putting me off because I was too good as a teller and the branch did not want to lose me. It made me find a new job.

Advice to Management

You put too much stress on your employees. Everyone in the branch was in fear of not doing everything perfect. When there are long line the customers just want to do there transactions and not be offered bank products.

Portfolio Manager II

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

- Stability
    - Minimal change
    - Low upside careers

Cons

- Lack of growth opportunities, annual raise between 1-2.5%.
    - Manipulated benefits package by replacing the 4% "benefits choice dollars" with an increase in 401-k match from 4% to 7%. This enables 5/3 to pay employees less as not every employee has the increased 401-k match in their budget.

6. Very by-the-books industry but rewarding nonetheless

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hudson, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hudson, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

From what I hear from employees that worked at other banks, Fifth Third offers quite a good benefit and compensation package and its definitely a great place to work.

Cons

I'm not a huge person on every task in my job being structured since I like to be creative in how I do it. However, that's not Fifth Third's fault at all.

7. Senior Business Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some good people there working to make clean things up and modernize their applications.

Cons

This is an extremely political environment where being buddies with the correct person means much more than abilities or accomplishments. Therefore many employees are in positions far beyond their capabilities and clinging to these positions with everything in them. This makes for a schoolyard atmosphere rather than a professional atmosphere and little gets done. This is a highly frustrating place for competent people who enjoy actually getting things done.

Advice to Management

Resign, you're the problem.

8. Its a mid-sized bank

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, good training and opportunities to grow your career. I felt I had the support of everyone within the organization while I was there.

Cons

The bank was in the process of trying to standardize EVERYTHING at the bank. It left very little room to personalize the interaction between the bankers and the customers. Admittedly, I wasn't cut out for banking.

9. Great training and skills development.

Current Employee - Retail Personal Banker in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Retail Personal Banker in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Upper management is involved and cares about the health of your financial center. There is lots of room to move up into the position you want. Management is willing to coach and develop you to become the best you can be.

Cons

High turnover. The job can get very stressful in regards to meeting goals which leads to some bankers switching jobs or banks.

Advice to Management

Stay involved with your affiliates financial centers.

10. I was a summer intern in the Retail Lockbox Operation center in Madisonville, OH.

Current Intern - Intern in Madisonville, OH
    Current Intern - Intern in Madisonville, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a nice work environment where everybody got along very well. Very easy process to pick up on.

Cons

The leadership played more of a managerial role than an actual leadership role. I had to pick up most of the information on my own.

Advice to Management

Please ensure that the management is looking to enhance the experience for all workers. I was not happy with the management I experienced mainly due to the fact that they were distant.

Unhealthy.

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A paycheck. That is it.

Cons

Where does one even begin?
    - Unqualified management who only manage up
    - Layers upon layers of bureaucracy. Nothing ever gets done efficiently or correctly
    - Poor titles and general role clarity
    - Terrible, outdated processes (if there are any at all?)
    - Outdated technologies (everything breaks, constantly)
    - Management who will throw you under bus in a heartbeat
    - Management that takes credit for their employees work
    - Management that plays favorites with their employees
    - Unfriendly and untrustworthy co-workers (can’t blame them, as it’s just a side effect of an unhealthy workplace)
    - High impact decisions made off ‘feelings’ and not facts or data
    - No accountability placed on Managers (they’ll blame someone who makes 3 times less than them, instead)
    - Negative work environment, where people are extremely unhappy
    - They don't care about previous experience or skills. You either act like management's dog, and play by their rules, or you will be labeled as 'uncooperative' or 'confrontational' or some other ridiculous word meant to demoralize you to the point you have lost all your self worth. In that sense, it's like being a slave or infantry.

If you like being abused and want to lose your career confidence—work here.
    If you are looking for something more fulfilling in a career and don’t feel like being miserable everyday—do not work here.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead weight dinosaur management. They are only concerned with keeping their bloated salary job -- not moving the company or their employees forward. The management is unqualified, and rude to their employees. You will be losing me as an employee, soon.