Fifth Third Reviews

Updated September 20, 2014
Updated September 20, 2014
3.2

Fifth Third President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Fifth Third Bank Kevin T. Kabat
Kevin T. Kabat

Pros
  • They treat their employees terrible and have no regards for work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Worked with some awesome people; good benefits in line with what others offer (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • New upper management in the Chicago area have a personal agenda (in 29 reviews)

• Sales goals are not realistic and the training was inadequate (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

love it

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time for less than a year

Pros

love the people that work there. laid back!

Cons

pay sucks. salary and hourly are horrible

Great Place to Work!

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time

Pros

Good money for entry level.

Cons

Honestly, no cons to report just yet.

Great company

I worked at Fifth Third full-time

Pros

They are very employee centered.

Cons

Older computer systems. Need updated.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Relaxed corporate culture!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Madisonville, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madisonville, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work-life balance is easily attained when working at Fifth Third Bank. Departments act somewhat independently which helps distract from the large-corporation-environment one would expect.

Cons

Bureaucratic/corporate processes, internet is locked down (no entertainment, social networks, software-serving sites). Personally, the location is a bit inconvenient as it's in the dead-center of the Cincinnati metropolis area, which means it's hard to avoid traffic!

Great company that cares about their employees

Current Employee - Retail Personal Banker  in  Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Personal Banker in Naples, FL

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

5/3 is fantastic place to work. They are an organization that recognizes and rewards their employees for performance and production. They really do want to promote from within.I started with 5/3 four years ago. Since then I have been promoted me 4 times! From a part time teller to full time, to lead teller, to senior teller to personal banker. Now, I'm currently going through the bank's sponsored licensing program to become a licensed personal banker! Exceptional managerial coaching, fantastic business partners, and hard work has helped me develop and learn the skills necessary for my success and promotions. Employees are very fortunate to have upper management who are ethical and people of their word. I'm going to be vague here. In my case I was told if I do "X" then in return I will receive "Y" by a certain date. Well "X' was accomplished in that time frame and "Y" was received as promised, with nothing written or signed. 5/3 is ethical, appreciative, and cares about their employees

Cons

Working in banking can be a very stressful environment. You must be able to manage your book of business effectively during busy times of the year (during season). This can be hard to do with expectation set by the bank to follow up with every client you meet(sometimes 20 clients). On the flip side, when season is over you must be able to generate and create business. This is where most bankers fail, they rely too much on walk-in clients during season and don't follow up with them. You must build a book of business and manage it effectively in order to meet your goals during the slow times of the year. Some coworkers feel micromanaged by expectations and little things 5/3 requires us to do and track. I can see why they think this, but I know these requirements are established to help us succeed in the long term. Lastly, some managers are strict regarding scheduling: giving you less say in the hours you work. While other managers let you manage your hours as long as you stay at 40/week

Have more faith in your employees to do their job and get results. There are too many extra micro management type of requirements that are time consuming and tedious. The consumer lending under writing process needs to be improved. We need to do something to help expedite the approval of applications and the overall time to get a loan clear to close. Our competitors can get it done in 2 weeks, why can't we? We also need to be more realistic about goals and more mindful of specific markets and the banking centers locations in specific markets. I.E. South West FL will naturally have a lower number of consumer loans booked, because the majority of the people are older and in retirement in this market and they don't want debt. Conversely investment revenue will be higher; a market of mostly older retirees wants to invest/protect assets while trying to generate MORE income vs. taking out loans and creating an extra liability. That's why you see so much more deposit balance growth vs. consumer loans being booked, these clients want liquidity not liabilities. Communication is great when its retail to retail but terrible when it's a retail employee to mortgage/insurance/underwriting/53securities etc. There needs to be a better and faster way to communicate with our business partners. There needs to be improvement within our intranet when attempting to look up number for a specific department for example finding the specific number for escrow questions or early loan payoff etc. Upper management should consider the location of banking centers and the expectation of net house hold growth. It's just flat out harder for some branches to obtain new house holds then others based on location. Lastly, I wouldn't change a thing about personal growth, promotions and development. There are so many excellent tools and resources available for any employee who has the motivation for personal growth and desire to get promoted. Management shouldn't be responsible for an individuals growth and development plan. The individual should be responsible and use their manager as a resource as to how to achieve their goal.

I Love 5/3

Former Employee - Personal Banker  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Louisville, KY

I worked at Fifth Third full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The customers and the co worker like family environment. Forming bonds with co workers that grow ovwer the years.

Cons

Not enough time in the day to enjoy my job

Continue to love respect cherish and honor your employees.

Fifth third genuinely cares about their employees

Current Employee - Retail Personal Banker  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Retail Personal Banker in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They promote from within as long as you work hard and reach your sales goals. Great benefits, family oriented, great place to work.

Cons

The goals are tough to reach. There are times where your goals can be higher then the branch goals. Not enough staff, plan on working a lot of weekends.

Structured with Opportunity for Ownership

Former Employee - Audit Leadership Program  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Audit Leadership Program in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Fifth Third as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very structured program and they put you on assignments they believe you would be interested in. Great people to work with and a cool environment. The location of the office can't be beat. Seniors give you the opportunity to take ownership of your assignments and contribute immediately.

Cons

With the structure and limits on hours it is tough to do more. Pay was decent but not high end.

Higher pay would pull in better talent. I think after working at 5/3 it is tough to not love the company.

Great Company to work for

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Strong bank that is very employee and customer oriented. It's the Big Little Bank! You're not just a number. You are valued and career advancement is encouraged. Corporate environment without the micromanaging.

Cons

Sometimes you're without the necessary tools to do your job well. High turnover lately. Lack of managers and regional managers.

lately upper management has somewhat unrealistic goals about production and time management. 50 hours of work in 40 hours doesn't work!

Several opportunities for growth within the organization

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

incentives for performance, good benefits, great partnerships with other lines of business, newer senior management is focusing coaching and not product pushing

Cons

each branch varies depending on location and line of business partners, some managers still micro manage

continue

Worked for Fifth Third? Contribute to the Community!