Fifth Third Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
684 reviews filtered by
3.2
Fifth Third President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Fifth Third Bank Kevin T. Kabat
Kevin T. Kabat

Pros
  • Work-life balance is easily attained when working at Fifth Third Bank (in 21 reviews)

• Worked with some awesome people; good benefits in line with what others offer (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't understand things that happen within the branch (in 31 reviews)

• Sales goals are not realistic and the training was inadequate (in 26 reviews)

1. CSR

I worked at Fifth Third part-time

Pros

They offer a wide range of benefits including heath, dental and vision insurance. It is a nice benefit package for a part time employee.

Cons

They did not follow thru an promises made with regard to training. 2 1/2 days of schooling was not enough to learn the teller job if you had no banking experience. we were required to do "e learning" which is a computer based module. It as hard to follow and not very helpful. we were not trained on the computer system at all. Just sat it front of it and told to learn.
    Everyone at my branch was new. They tried but were too busy or did not know enough to help.
    I felt I was "thrown to the wolves" and had to figure it out on my own. Not a very good thing to do when you are dealing with peoples money. I quit after a month.

Advice to Management

Train your employees and do not make promises you have no intention of keeping just to get someone in the door.

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is fair, benefits are good

Cons

Don't expect to advance based on talent and hardwork. Much better to concentrate on kissing up to your supervisors. Also, watch your back, H.R. is a joke and if someone is out to get you they will succeed.

Advice to Management

Quit. All of you.

Under Staffed, over worked, technology lagging, and all around defeating.

Current Employee - FCM in Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - FCM in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

401(k) match - You contribute 6% and Fifth Third will contribute 7% (116% match)

Cons

Once heralded itself on making local decisions however most decisions are pre-formed and inflexible.

Boss is continually pressured to expect and demand more from direct reports causing stress across the multiple lines.

Evident unequal treatment anywhere other than Cincinnati Ohio (head quarters). Off sites across foot print are second thought to anyone at the Senior and C-Level rank.

Inadequate technology - So many projects and enhancements are tabled due no available resources or budget. Identified system deficiencies are never prioritized after PIPs are submitted. Known system deficiencies include credit bureau reporting as well as TILA violations. Many processes require physical forms to be filled out. This bank is stuck in the early 90's.

Aging staff are not held to same levels as others. A complete and thorough investigation to ensure staff within the same department are scored and held to same standards as others.

Health Insurance - This is a complete joke. Good luck getting anything approved whether its a hospital stay or prescriptions. Prescription insurance is through mega PBM CVS/Caremark. They will deny just about everything your doctor prescribes even after sufficient evidence of verified therapy is received. You are better off finding better insurance within the exchanges provided by the Affordable Care Act.

Engagement - Employee engagement scores are false as employees feel pressured and coerced into giving high scores to managers and bank. Managers will get upset with low engagement scores and perform "witch hunts".

No privacy - Managers talk behind each others backs and nothing is held confidential.

Work life balance - None. If you are non-exempt you have work life balance. Anyone exempt and above can kiss their mental health good bye.

Advice to Management

Quit using buzz words week after week and show your faces in person. Instead of having department engagement scores how about showing more detail for the whole bank. Complete overhaul of technology and systems. Start acknowledging sites and people other than Cincinnati as human beings and that they actually exist. Hire more project managers and staff to address deficiencies and overworked areas.

Dump your cut rate insurance. Employees are paying for procedures completely out of pocket (especially true for prescriptions). Everything that is not covered by insurance company does not count toward deductible which probably looks like cost savings to you however employees do not know who to talk and/or do not have the time to raise their voice. Most employees I speak to has a horror story and are currently going in circles with run around after run around. Staff cannot afford to get sick or treatment as nothing is covered.

Unhealthy.

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A paycheck. That is it.

Cons

Where does one even begin?
    - Unqualified management who only manage up
    - Layers upon layers of bureaucracy. Nothing ever gets done efficiently or correctly
    - Poor titles and general role clarity
    - Terrible, outdated processes (if there are any at all?)
    - Outdated technologies (everything breaks, constantly)
    - Management who will throw you under bus in a heartbeat
    - Management that takes credit for their employees work
    - Management that plays favorites with their employees
    - Unfriendly and untrustworthy co-workers (can’t blame them, as it’s just a side effect of an unhealthy workplace)
    - High impact decisions made off ‘feelings’ and not facts or data
    - No accountability placed on Managers (they’ll blame someone who makes 3 times less than them, instead)
    - Negative work environment, where people are extremely unhappy
    - They don't care about previous experience or skills. You either act like management's dog, and play by their rules, or you will be labeled as 'uncooperative' or 'confrontational' or some other ridiculous word meant to demoralize you to the point you have lost all your self worth. In that sense, it's like being a slave or infantry.

If you like being abused and want to lose your career confidence—work here.
    If you are looking for something more fulfilling in a career and don’t feel like being miserable everyday—do not work here.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead weight dinosaur management. They are only concerned with keeping their bloated salary job -- not moving the company or their employees forward. The management is unqualified, and rude to their employees. You will be losing me as an employee, soon.

6. Terrible upper management and resources. No support.Spoke and wheel meetings where one branch steals from another.

Former Employee - Mortgage Originator
    Former Employee - Mortgage Originator

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Remote access, which means you can work straight through the one day you take "off" in an entire year.You can use your personal cell so that clients can text and call you all day on Memorial day and Christmas Eve. You can pay for your company trip for training and expense it later. It is so wonderful that they tell the training class after arrival that it is up to us to pay first and expense meals and hotel later. Fifth Third makes a big deal about supporting the military but is not a preferred lender for the Welcome Home Hero home loans. Vets should shop around first. Also, they have new mlos thinking their Dr loan is the best, when there are other banks out there who also have Dr loans. Fifth Third increases the pricing on these...not very competitive.

Cons

In an effort to source my own leads (zero quality leads from bankers)...I met with a realtor(one of the many), a family friend, in the business for 30 years. His main suggestion was that I work for a different company. In his experience, he lost clients after the long turn time. He said he would never use Fifth Third Mortgage again.During training, I asked three times about the application fee. Three times because I couldn't get a straight answer. As it turns out, I accepted the $495 app fee when I took the app and supporting docs. I was later told you have to wait ten days and legally, I could not collect a different check, so, it came out of my pay. Our trainer resigned after 2 months. The ten of us were assigned branches on our own. It was supposed to be six months. Each question would take multiple calls and emails. My manager said call the resource desk, and they would say that I would need to ask my manager. Their systems for working and taking a loan app would freeze up. Processors and closers would get laid off and you would have to fight to get your loan to close.

Advice to Management

This division of the bank is so screwed up...I don't think any words of advice could help.

No Integrity

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Fifth Third as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Liked the people there, liked the work there. I would like to work there again.

Cons

They are blocking my resume thru glassdoor for some unknown reason. The site does not tell you you are being blocked but I know that is what is happening.

Advice to Management

Be open and honest. Don't tell people you like their work and then block them out from applying for another job.

Poor leadership. Terrible technology.

Former Employee - Financial Center Manager in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Center Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Local footprint and community outreach

Cons

Confused philosophies, poor leadership, high turnover, poor hiring, outdated technology, and sub par products.

Advice to Management

Go back to school.. Take management courses

Weak Management, poor corporate leadership

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Teller in Boone, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Teller in Boone, NC

I worked at Fifth Third

Pros

I liked the work schedule.

Cons

District leadership poor, treated emp!oyees as children instead of team members. The branch manager always allowed or insisted the employees participate in gaming practices to achieve monthly goals. They are not concerned about the customer needs.

Advice to Management

Each branch needs to be monitored more for gaming practices, investigating management practices instead of just achieving goals but how were the goals achieved and was the customers needs really the basis for the accounts or credit cards for the customer. I know from experience the manager has opened credit cards for customers that did not want them and additional accounts opened when the customer insisted of place ing the funds in existing accounts.

10. They will renege

I worked at Fifth Third

Pros

Some of the coworkers and community

Cons

Training and pay was not great. Reneged on what was discuss during recruitment. Horrible FCM

Great benefits, but I would keep looking...

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits at Fifth Third are some of the best available at a financial institution-- they cover almost all of your health insurance, profit sharing is paid into your 401k at the end of every year, and company match for your 401k is offered at 6%.

Cons

There is no such thing as work-life balance if you are not an hourly employee. The branches are understaffed because the turnover is so high so you will be planning your vacations around the managers time off which equates to about 4 weeks per year. Fifth Third advertises they are the "Curious Bank" but this is only so they have an excuse to ask you about all of your financials so they can later come back and sell you products, or as they are known in the banking industry- "widgets." This bank is very widget-oriented.
    Personal Bankers main job will be asking for forgiveness when the client 1) doesn't receive the checks they ordered, 2) can't get access to their online account, 3) debit card is not received because the client has a po box and 5/3 won't ship a debit card to a po box but this is unknown if you are a new employee you wouldn't know this information until your client comes raging into the branch, 4) i opens a new investment account with your investment executive but "forgets" to tell them about service charges, 5) the list goes on-and-on...
    If you are applying to be a loan officer, be ready to spend your time on nothing other than processing loans, asking for forgiveness from your clients for missing closing dates, begging attorneys to stay late to close your loans, and sending out checks to borrowers after the closing because it was such an awful, stressful experience. Management has no idea how to control customer services issues other than putting money into customers accounts.

Advice to Management

Upper-management should spend more time in the branches so they can witness first-hand how difficult it is to get anything done efficiently. They would quickly learn the processes, other than opening a simple checking account, are broken which creates anxiety for the employee and the customers.