Fifth Third

Fifth Third Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014

3.2

Fifth Third President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Fifth Third Bank Kevin T. Kabat
Kevin T. Kabat

Pros
  • They treat their employees terrible and have no regards for work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Worked with some awesome people; good benefits in line with what others offer (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • New upper management in the Chicago area have a personal agenda (in 29 reviews)

• Sales goals are not realistic and the training was inadequate (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

5 jobs completed by 3 employees. 5/3 hires inexperienced staff with no banking knowledge. Training is substandard.

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

Pros

Great benefits, strong values. Great story!

Cons

Unprofessional staff, no support from senior leadership, no diversity.

Company going in wrong direction. Only concerned about production, staffing is extremely lean difficult to complete tasks and have work life balance. Hired staff is incompetent, low/no upper management support. No clear processes and procedures, no consistency, no trained help. Smaller bank attempting to mirror ideals from big banking giants.

Worst bank I know

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager

Pros

No pros for this company

Cons

Frequent change in leadership
    Cut-throat atmosphere
    Company encourages excellent customer service, but does not back it up. Most of the customers have a very bad opinion of the bank as a whole

The management team will not consider good advice

All the "positive" comments aren't honest.

Pros

There are not pros to being associated with this company.

Cons

This bank is by far the worst bank out there!! I'm warning you that any other bank is better than Fifth Third Bank (even if the other bank was known for killing and dumping babies in the trash it would still be better than Fifth Third Bank). I was a customer and I worked for them and both experiences I learned a lot of fifth third bank's practices. They hire extremely incompetent and bitter people and then they let go of hundreds of good employees (I saw the writing on the wall and left voluntarily to work for a better bank). This is one of the major reason why this bank will never be able to compete with any other bank and should feel extremely threaten by their competitors. All the bitter people that work here make it hard for the customers. When fifth third started buying other (better) banks, and the bank I was with since I was 7 was one of them, I quickly closed my account within 3 months of the acquisition. Most of there employees don't give a damn about the customers, are cold and evil, and it really reflects bad on the company. All I can say is that you've been warned!

There's no hope for you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Revolving Door Employer & Reverse Discrimination Practices

Pros

The only good thing about Fifth Third Bank is the "relationship" aspect that can be offered to your clients.

Cons

Incompetent management at the local level; Revolving door of employment because the work environment is not employee focused; promote individuals who are not qualified for the job; discriminate against Caucasian and promote other minority races; horrible pay and incentives; antiquated technology; micromanagement practices to overcompensate for management's lack of leadership abilities.

If Fifth Third wishes to become the workplace of choice, Cincinnati must step in and review the leadership in this affiliate and how they are recruiting and promoting management, because there are people in management positions who clearly do not know how to fulfill their job duties. Lack of quality leadership is reflected in the quality of employees that are hired in the retail branches. This revolving door will only stop once quality leadership is in place, which will result in quality employees within the branches, and there is a TRUE focus on retaining and promoting current talent. The incentive plan needs to be reviewed because there is truly no incentive for the employee to work hard because the payouts are a joke. Also, the goals that are required of bankers are ridiculous when the bank is not being branded and marketed in this newer affiliate. Fifth Third is lightyears behind in technology and the services that we offer are antiquated compared to our competitors.

It was a call center. I didn't like the job. Bad management

Former Employee - Inbound Customer Service Representative  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Inbound Customer Service Representative in Orlando, FL

Pros

The pay was good. Good benefits

Cons

Company very strict. They would rate you bad for any word that was not acceptable by their standards. For anything they would fired you.

Customer service manager

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager  in  Shorewood, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Shorewood, IL

Pros

Great pay. Salaried pay was good money for the times

Cons

Sales at all cost is what they want. No life. Live and breath sales get that sale no matter what

Change the sales to caring about customers and employees

Underwriter

Current Employee - Underwriter  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Tampa, FL

Pros

There isn't any good reasons to work here, bank here, have your mortgage here. They treat their employees terrible and have no regards for work life balance. You are just a number to them and they do not train you properly for any job.

Cons

No training, terrible ethics, they make shady loans, and have terrible organizational leaders. Very poorly ran company. Management is a mess all the way to the top!!

Get off your chair and help your employees

Came in from college with high hopes and aspirations, which were constantly being beaten down.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

The few good people I met there.
    Benefits - not great, but something.

Cons

Too many to name. It was a very cold environment to be in and at times I was surprised how coworkers treated others, no respect.

3 year vesting period, which just means high turnover rates.

Need to somehow find a way to retain the good managers. I feel my experience was so negative because of my manager for most of my employment. I started off with a good manager, but it was short lived when the manager left the company.

Stay away from 53 Retail -75% turnover for Personal Bankers in my affiliate

Current Employee - Retail Personal Banker  in  Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Retail Personal Banker in Toledo, OH

Pros

Some nice coworkers, decent medical/vision/dental, other than that I find it very difficult to find anything as a benefit.

Cons

Pay is less than other banks for similar positions, little or no opportunity to move out of retail into a corporate position (internal interviewing has zero benefit over an outside candidate), changing sales agenda monthly (change in focus all year round), plan working most weekend hours if you want to hit your goals and keep a job, have low expectations on pay raises and don't plan on getting 5's regardless of your performance review because "only perfect gets a 5 and no one's perfect", customer service activities (like disputes) and loans (like equity products) are being outsourced now so that your job is less essential => they can pay you less and you're easily replaced, hub meetings are meaningless but always entertaining seeing all the new faces (every time), the CFO in 2013 said that a full third (1/3) of the branches will be converted into "Teller Assist" stations by 2015 -so even if you get the job, there's a good chance you won't keep it long; very high school feel to the work environment (you're either in the 'in-group' or you're an outsider), "One Bank" is a joke -your "partners" are entirely 100% commission people (MLO and IE/IA) and will not work that hard for you since they have 'lay down' business daily or they can "make more money prospecting myself'; the culture at the retail level is all about cut-throat at any cost...I could go on for a long time, but I warn anyone reading this to stay away or go to a competitor if you're looking for a retail banking job because this place is crazy

Do more thorough background checks on your retail managers (FCMs and RMs) -they are antithetical to your "core values".

Sales not Banking

Former Employee - Financial Service Representative  in  Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Financial Service Representative in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

Flexible hours and possible advancement in the company

Cons

It is all about sales. If you do not like sales then run far far away. It is pure ruthless sales.

There needs to be a lot of added benefit to your employees because they will start getting smart and leave if you dont.

Worked for Fifth Third? Contribute to the Community!