Fifth Third

Fifth Third Reviews

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014
3.2

Fifth Third President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Fifth Third Bank Kevin T. Kabat
Kevin T. Kabat

Pros
  • Work-life balance is easily attained when working at Fifth Third Bank (in 21 reviews)

• Worked with some awesome people; good benefits in line with what others offer (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't understand things that happen within the branch (in 31 reviews)

• Sales goals are not realistic and the training was inadequate (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

They will renege

I worked at Fifth Third

Pros

Some of the coworkers and community

Cons

Training and pay was not great. Reneged on what was discuss during recruitment. Horrible FCM

Great benefits, but I would keep looking...

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits at Fifth Third are some of the best available at a financial institution-- they cover almost all of your health insurance, profit sharing is paid into your 401k at the end of every year, and company match for your 401k is offered at 6%.

Cons

There is no such thing as work-life balance if you are not an hourly employee. The branches are understaffed because the turnover is so high so you will be planning your vacations around the managers time off which equates to about 4 weeks per year. Fifth Third advertises they are the "Curious Bank" but this is only so they have an excuse to ask you about all of your financials so they can later come back and sell you products, or as they are known in the banking industry- "widgets." This bank is very widget-oriented.
    Personal Bankers main job will be asking for forgiveness when the client 1) doesn't receive the checks they ordered, 2) can't get access to their online account, 3) debit card is not received because the client has a po box and 5/3 won't ship a debit card to a po box but this is unknown if you are a new employee you wouldn't know this information until your client comes raging into the branch, 4) i opens a new investment account with your investment executive but "forgets" to tell them about service charges, 5) the list goes on-and-on...
    If you are applying to be a loan officer, be ready to spend your time on nothing other than processing loans, asking for forgiveness from your clients for missing closing dates, begging attorneys to stay late to close your loans, and sending out checks to borrowers after the closing because it was such an awful, stressful experience. Management has no idea how to control customer services issues other than putting money into customers accounts.

Upper-management should spend more time in the branches so they can witness first-hand how difficult it is to get anything done efficiently. They would quickly learn the processes, other than opening a simple checking account, are broken which creates anxiety for the employee and the customers.

Lazy coworkers, not very good at all.

Current Employee - Personal Banker II in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker II in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nothing. I cannot find one single nice thing to say about this company or the people they employ on the hourly side of things.

Cons

All they do is drive metrics down your throat.

Who is they? Branch managers. Regional managers. Upper and middle management.

The bank has become so much less about the people who trust you with their money and much more about what you are going to cram down their throats whether they want it or not. They call it unearthing needs. Really though, why would you choose to change banks?

I feel like a prisoner here. I am suppose to be a PB2, but all I ever do is run teller transactions while the rest of my staff lollygags around. How is that fair? They then have the AUDACITY to ask me why I am not hitting my point goals.

How am I suppose to acquire new business and households IF I am always running teller line for EXISTING customers? Does that make sense to you?

Get a hold on your old salts working INSIDE the branches at a lower pay grade and DO NOT let them run the branch. DO NOT let employees who are suppose to help make the bank function go out on sales calls. Their point goals are far lower than the PB2's. Why would you have PB2's on the teller line? Stupid, just plain STUPID!

Poor management

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

The benefits were decent for investing.

Cons

Nothing positive was said to employees. Culture was negative from the top,

Overworked & Underpaid - just not pretty enough

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nothing note worthy to be considered a "pro".

Cons

Upper management lacks leadership skills & mentoring abilities. Their strengths are talking down to new branch managers, undermining & making us feel inferior because of the way we look not just production goals. This is a hostile, stifling setting that really puts a damper on the talent & creativity many companies would rather have.

You are going to lose very valuable leaders.

Last resort

Former Employee - Treasury Management Sales Officer in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Treasury Management Sales Officer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, vacation and sick time as well as work-life balance are the best things about working there. Every affiliate is different so if you end up in the wrong one, you will be miserable every day you enter the door.

Cons

Dealing with office politics can be draining in any environment and make facing every week day morning a daunting task. Be prepared to on-board yourself if you are in a professional sales role.

Genuinely good people enjoy working in encouraging, strategic and positive environments with other good people.

Senior Business Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Young professionals in the leadership training programs can leapfrog those with more experience and stronger skills.

Cons

Highly political environment where having the correct people like you means far more than the work you do. Very petty and unprofessional environment. Compensation and benefits are being deeply cut for next year.

The worst place to work

Former Employee - Lead Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Lead Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really don't have any

Cons

Branch Managers are not qualified to do their job, they have way to much time on there hands to be out running errands for them selves. They are out of the office doing personal things like nails, hair, groceries, and shopping at the malls. These are NOT business calls.

Know what your managers are doing. Inspect what you expect!

5 jobs completed by 3 employees. 5/3 hires inexperienced staff with no banking knowledge. Training is substandard.

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, strong values. Great story!

Cons

Unprofessional staff, no support from senior leadership, no diversity.

Company going in wrong direction. Only concerned about production, staffing is extremely lean difficult to complete tasks and have work life balance. Hired staff is incompetent, low/no upper management support. No clear processes and procedures, no consistency, no trained help. Smaller bank attempting to mirror ideals from big banking giants.

Worst bank I know

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No pros for this company

Cons

Frequent change in leadership
    Cut-throat atmosphere
    Company encourages excellent customer service, but does not back it up. Most of the customers have a very bad opinion of the bank as a whole

The management team will not consider good advice