Fifth Third

Fifth Third Reviews

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
3.2

Fifth Third President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Fifth Third Bank Kevin T. Kabat
Kevin T. Kabat

Pros
  • Work-life balance is easily attained when working at Fifth Third Bank (in 21 reviews)

• Worked with some awesome people; good benefits in line with what others offer (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't understand things that happen within the branch (in 31 reviews)

• Sales goals are not realistic and the training was inadequate (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked at Fifth Third part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Benefits, Good monthly incentives if earned, learned a great deal out of the company, great co workers, always compensated me and recognized me for being a great teller.

Cons

not so good manager, could not advance to full-time, no communication with manager even though I tried, a lot of overturn within the company at that time.

They were great with me as far as recognition for my great work but would not let me advance once I was at that branch to another location to full time.

Began promising, but now I'm looking elsewhere...

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and 401k. They do have incentives in place if you meet/exceed sales goals

Cons

-So much of the job is focused on sales, and not on truly building a relationship with customers. I get chastised for not pushing product with each customer, even if I've already spoken to that customer numerous times previously. I've had customers yell at me and threaten to leave the bank because we push products too much.
    -CEI is ridiculous. You only get paid if the banking center as a whole has an A, not based on individual performance. Tellers are told to be intentionally vague about products in order to have customers meet with bankers, yet we are scored on whether or not we are Knowledgable about products, Proactive about offering services, etcetera. The surveys seem rigged to set you up for failure.
    -I asked if I could be compensated for parking and travel when I was asked to work at a different banking center, was bullied by my FCM to not apply for compensation because it would affect our P&L (profits and loss)
    -Consistently understaffed, high turn over
    -As a part time CSR, I found it very difficult to advance to a full time position. Seems like the bank prefers to hire part time workers rather than create full time positions

Consider rephrasing survey questions when determining CEI. I understand the need for feedback (and I honestly do appreciate helpful feedback - I want to improve!) but asking questions that go against what we are trained to do is very aggravating and only leads to a feeling of hopelessness and disillusionment

Great Company.

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

Laid back culture. Work life balance is great.

Cons

Slow moving. Have to jump through way to many hoops to get anything done.

Management lacks insight of critical elements of investment real estate.

Former Employee - Vice President-Commercial Real Estate in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Vice President-Commercial Real Estate in Tampa, FL

I worked at Fifth Third

Pros

Cincinnati- based bank expanded initially into Florida by acquiring other less profitable banks. Great benefits, good upside potential. Good potential for new business development.

Cons

Those in charge of commercial real estate lending lacked insight as to quality of transactions placed before them. Presentation of a quality relationship-building deal with strong credit in place, experienced ownership/ management of the underlying property was ignored, while other lenders would have jumped on this transaction. I was self-managed, created my own work environment as a vice president. Fortunately those upstream from me were replaced.

Management needs to understand the multiple aspects of income producing properties. This includes the physical real estate, it's location, it's sponsorship, occupancy, quality of development and likelihood for future and ongoing business opportunities. Upstream management needs to understand real estate economics, cash flow, lease review, debt/ equity relationship etc. Management needs to become more visionary in it's commercial real estate overview and get the big picture.

CSR

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Covington, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Covington, KY

I worked at Fifth Third part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good vacation and sick leave.

Cons

Poor pay for everything you have to cover. Customers are of the most rude kind.

Nothing

Commercial Leadership Program

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

Great culture, experience, and work load

Cons

Can't leave program early damn

In a nutshell

Current Employee - Workout Officer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Workout Officer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

Interesting work, nice people to work with.

Cons

Change not to improve performance or efficiency but change to prove someone thinks they are important. Many Silos.

Eliminate some layers of management and streamline the business.

Previous employment review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The firm is a great stepping stone into the industry. Working in its headquarter city gives access to senior management on a daily basis.

Cons

Has a commercial and retail bank mentality. Other departments seem to struggle to have clarity and to be understood.

Make sure the right people are in place to be running the various divisions. Also, remember that employee appreciation is a huge part of morale. Associates want recognition and to be compensated according to their contributions.

Excellent opportunities

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

If you are reliable, intelligent, and determined possibilities could be endless.

Cons

None. Bankers hours are the best to work

I worked here for 3.5 years. It was a good experience, but couldn't grow with the company.

Former Employee - Lead Customer Service Representative in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Lead Customer Service Representative in Louisville, KY

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good leadership. They help teach you how to sell the products to the customers. You get compensated for the sales you make. Great people to work with.

Cons

It was hard to grow within the company if you didn't go into a sales role. The customer service manager position is what I wanted. They got rid of it the last year I was there. I decided to leave because of that.

Make sure your employees are happy. Find out their dreams with the company. Please help them get promoted if that is their goal. You will keep good employees that way.