Fifth Third Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
671 reviews filtered by
3.2
Fifth Third President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Fifth Third Bank Kevin T. Kabat
Kevin T. Kabat

Pros
  • Work-life balance is easily attained when working at Fifth Third Bank (in 21 reviews)

• Worked with some awesome people; good benefits in line with what others offer (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't understand things that happen within the branch (in 31 reviews)

• Sales goals are not realistic and the training was inadequate (in 26 reviews)

1. Under Staffed, over worked, technology lagging, and all around defeating.

Current Employee - FCM in Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - FCM in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

401(k) match - You contribute 6% and Fifth Third will contribute 7% (116% match)

Cons

Once heralded itself on making local decisions however most decisions are pre-formed and inflexible.

Boss is continually pressured to expect and demand more from direct reports causing stress across the multiple lines.

Evident unequal treatment anywhere other than Cincinnati Ohio (head quarters). Off sites across foot print are second thought to anyone at the Senior and C-Level rank.

Inadequate technology - So many projects and enhancements are tabled due no available resources or budget. Identified system deficiencies are never prioritized after PIPs are submitted. Known system deficiencies include credit bureau reporting as well as TILA violations. Many processes require physical forms to be filled out. This bank is stuck in the early 90's.

Aging staff are not held to same levels as others. A complete and thorough investigation to ensure staff within the same department are scored and held to same standards as others.

Health Insurance - This is a complete joke. Good luck getting anything approved whether its a hospital stay or prescriptions. Prescription insurance is through mega PBM CVS/Caremark. They will deny just about everything your doctor prescribes even after sufficient evidence of verified therapy is received. You are better off finding better insurance within the exchanges provided by the Affordable Care Act.

Engagement - Employee engagement scores are false as employees feel pressured and coerced into giving high scores to managers and bank. Managers will get upset with low engagement scores and perform "witch hunts".

No privacy - Managers talk behind each others backs and nothing is held confidential.

Work life balance - None. If you are non-exempt you have work life balance. Anyone exempt and above can kiss their mental health good bye.

Quit using buzz words week after week and show your faces in person. Instead of having department engagement scores how about showing more detail for the whole bank. Complete overhaul of technology and systems. Start acknowledging sites and people other than Cincinnati as human beings and that they actually exist. Hire more project managers and staff to address deficiencies and overworked areas.

Dump your cut rate insurance. Employees are paying for procedures completely out of pocket (especially true for prescriptions). Everything that is not covered by insurance company does not count toward deductible which probably looks like cost savings to you however employees do not know who to talk and/or do not have the time to raise their voice. Most employees I speak to has a horror story and are currently going in circles with run around after run around. Staff cannot afford to get sick or treatment as nothing is covered.

2. PERSONAL BANKER

Current Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

Great 401k match, better hours than many banks, policies not nearly as stringent as other banks

Cons

Training program not the best, although new training program seems to be much better. Technology is a little behind the Times,

Keep communication lines open to find out what is really happening in banking centers.

3. Descent Bank to work for

I worked at Fifth Third full-time

Pros

Training is always available and encouraged

Cons

Management may hold good employees back

A good manager is one who promotes their employees

5. Branch Manager-MI

Current Employee - Financial Center Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Financial Center Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The salary is higher than competitors

Cons

Unrealistic expectations from managers. Bonus structure demotivating

Give managers more employees. Don't expect them to be a business banker, coach and Assistant Manager. Learn from turnover! Wake up 5/3!

6. Solid company with good benefits and opportunity for advancement

Former Employee - Financial Center Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Center Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Fifth Third full-time

Pros

As a manager, great opportunities to affect others' development and engage yourself for future growth; benefits were top of the line

Cons

Work-life balance was not really a priority and senior management needs to put some faith in middle management to allow them to do what they were hired for

7. Miss working there...

I worked at Fifth Third

Pros

Great training and constant feed back from management to help you achieve full potential.

Cons

Like with all banks, push for sales. Next month you start all over again.

8. Very by-the-books industry but rewarding nonetheless

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hudson, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hudson, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

From what I hear from employees that worked at other banks, Fifth Third offers quite a good benefit and compensation package and its definitely a great place to work.

Cons

I'm not a huge person on every task in my job being structured since I like to be creative in how I do it. However, that's not Fifth Third's fault at all.

9. Its a very fair place to work

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Let you do what you need to do to hit goals

Cons

Different departments to not work well together sometimes

Need to be more like my immediate supervisor

10. ONE OF MY GREATEST JOB EXPERIENCES!!

Former Employee - Cash Management Specialist in Oak Lawn, IL
    Former Employee - Cash Management Specialist in Oak Lawn, IL

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for the greatest managers and learned many things. I worked hard and was rewarded for my accomplishments. I appreciated the use of the Engagement team.

Cons

I had to resign, because of relocating. When working on the overnight shift, sometimes holidays were missed with family.

I encourage the incentive programs and the engagement teams, The engagement team is a great idea, because it is a liaison between management and the employees.

Unhealthy.

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A paycheck. That is it.

Cons

Where does one even begin?
    - Unqualified management who only manage up
    - Layers upon layers of bureaucracy. Nothing ever gets done efficiently or correctly
    - Poor titles and general role clarity
    - Terrible, outdated processes (if there are any at all?)
    - Outdated technologies (everything breaks, constantly)
    - Management who will throw you under bus in a heartbeat
    - Management that takes credit for their employees work
    - Management that plays favorites with their employees
    - Unfriendly and untrustworthy co-workers (can’t blame them, as it’s just a side effect of an unhealthy workplace)
    - High impact decisions made off ‘feelings’ and not facts or data
    - No accountability placed on Managers (they’ll blame someone who makes 3 times less than them, instead)
    - Negative work environment, where people are extremely unhappy
    - They don't care about previous experience or skills. You either act like management's dog, and play by their rules, or you will be labeled as 'uncooperative' or 'confrontational' or some other ridiculous word meant to demoralize you to the point you have lost all your self worth. In that sense, it's like being a slave or infantry.

If you like being abused and want to lose your career confidence—work here.
    If you are looking for something more fulfilling in a career and don’t feel like being miserable everyday—do not work here.

Get rid of the dead weight dinosaur management. They are only concerned with keeping their bloated salary job -- not moving the company or their employees forward. The management is unqualified, and rude to their employees. You will be losing me as an employee, soon.