Fifth Third

Fifth Third Reviews

Updated March 1, 2015
Updated March 1, 2015
3.2

Fifth Third President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Fifth Third Bank Kevin T. Kabat
Kevin T. Kabat

Pros
  • Work-life balance is easily attained when working at Fifth Third Bank (in 21 reviews)

• Worked with some awesome people; good benefits in line with what others offer (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't understand things that happen within the branch (in 31 reviews)

• Sales goals are not realistic and the training was inadequate (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Great training and skills development.

Current Employee - Retail Personal Banker in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Retail Personal Banker in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Upper management is involved and cares about the health of your financial center. There is lots of room to move up into the position you want. Management is willing to coach and develop you to become the best you can be.

Cons

High turnover. The job can get very stressful in regards to meeting goals which leads to some bankers switching jobs or banks.

Stay involved with your affiliates financial centers.

Fifth Third Bank - An organization that lacks a management that has focus

Former Employee - Vice President, Commercial Real Estate Lending in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Vice President, Commercial Real Estate Lending in Tampa, FL

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Independence, set my own schedule, a decent paycheck, was able to source business that could have been considered quality investments within commercial mortgage lending. Good benefit package.

Cons

Management gives the appearance of incompetence particularly in my area of expertise. Unapproachable and from my experience had no vision. I was hired in a VP position but there was absolutely no training. In fact, I had no office support staff. I had no key to my office on the 18th floor for several weeks and no computer for 4 weeks. If I wanted to prepare a solicitation package I had to access the materials, draft the package myself , assemble it and with no adminstrative assistant help.

Those in mid to senior management levels need to get their act together. When presented with a relationship-building opportunity, they need to have people in place who can recognize it for present and future dealmaking potential that can result in long-term relationships. Bank is multi-dimensional and has the potential to compete with similar regional banks.

Good company with great benefits, slow moving, upward career path.

I worked at Fifth Third

Pros

Benefits, bonus/incentives, people, opportunities, culture

Cons

Base salary just ok, conservative environment

Fifth Third Bank - Corporate / Investment Banking

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time

Pros

Strong leadership dedicated to growing the business. Talented professionals across the Corporate / Investment banking platform. Easier than [larger shops] to be promoted from Analyst to Associate to Principal to Director. Clear path to advancement.

Cons

IT Systems [support and functionality] / Gaps in spending on Infrastructure.

Headed in the wrong direction

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best perk about working at this location is the free parking. The Bistro offers a nice variety of dining options on campus which comes in handy when you are rushed for lunch.

Cons

Where to start?? It's the annual review season here and there are a lot of angry people walking about the building. As usual, we hear from upper management how the company is doing well and how much they appreciate all the hard work we've done, but then you get your notice on what your pay increase is for the year and you find out that after they have reduced your Benefit Dollars and increased the employee cost of medical and dental insurance that you are actually bringing home less money than you were last year. It's a literal smack in the face. I've watched a lot of good, hard working people walk out the door this past year and I believe I've finally figured out why. Fifth Third management identifies who they feel are "high performers" and will groom these folks to progress upward within the company. The rest of the people are just job fillers and you are on your own. No coaching, no training, no support at all. The business model is to keep turnover high (in the 38% range) because to upper management it's more economical to bring in new people off the street and pay them lower wages than it is to actually develop people and pay them a decent salary. The only way to make more money is to try to find a position a level higher than the one you have. The problem with that is you have to be on that list of top performers to even be considered regardless of what experience you can bring to the table. If you are desperate for a job and it comes down to starving or working here, I think next time I'd choose to starve. My recommendation to anyone seeking employment with Fifth Third is to stay away. I know I won't be here much longer. I came here thinking I could have a career and what I've discovered is that it's just a job.

My advice to upper management is to actually develop all your employees and not only the "annointed". There are many, many good people who come in every day and work hard. All they want is a fair wage and the opportunity to contribute more. I can guarantee you that the expense of developing your people is better spent that the cost to on-board and train new hires every time you turn around.

I was a summer intern in the Retail Lockbox Operation center in Madisonville, OH.

Current Intern - Intern in Madisonville, OH
    Current Intern - Intern in Madisonville, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

It was a nice work environment where everybody got along very well. Very easy process to pick up on.

Cons

The leadership played more of a managerial role than an actual leadership role. I had to pick up most of the information on my own.

Please ensure that the management is looking to enhance the experience for all workers. I was not happy with the management I experienced mainly due to the fact that they were distant.

PB2

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

Hours are 8:30 - 5:15.

Cons

Sales goals are high. A lot of focus on loans.

Painfully slow corporate processes

I worked at Fifth Third

Pros

Pay was great if you can stand doing nothing in a grey cube.

Cons

Grey walls, meeting after meeting after meeting with no decisions being made

Challenging Organization

Current Employee - Wealth Management Advisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Wealth Management Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

Great products and services to sale, nice ESOP and 401k plans, competitive salary, reasonable sales goals with bonus plan.

Cons

can be very competitive to the point of being cut throat with some team mates, meetings for meeting sake.

the employee surveys are quite interesting, you should really take a longer look at the negative responses, most will give a glowing report because it is easier to complete. the real answers you are looking for are in the longer comment section.

Conservative, stuffy bank, but great if you like that type of atmosphere

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

Job security is pretty good and if you find your spot you can stay on autopilot for sometime.

Cons

Opportunities for growth are not present except for select few.