Fifth Third

Employer Engaged

Fifth Third Bank - An organization that lacks a management that has focus

Former Employee - Vice President, Commercial Real Estate Lending in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Vice President, Commercial Real Estate Lending in Tampa, FL

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Independence, set my own schedule, a decent paycheck, was able to source business that could have been considered quality investments within commercial mortgage lending. Good benefit package.

Cons

Management gives the appearance of incompetence particularly in my area of expertise. Unapproachable and from my experience had no vision. I was hired in a VP position but there was absolutely no training. In fact, I had no office support staff. I had no key to my office on the 18th floor for several weeks and no computer for 4 weeks. If I wanted to prepare a solicitation package I had to access the materials, draft the package myself , assemble it and with no adminstrative assistant help.

Those in mid to senior management levels need to get their act together. When presented with a relationship-building opportunity, they need to have people in place who can recognize it for present and future dealmaking potential that can result in long-term relationships. Bank is multi-dimensional and has the potential to compete with similar regional banks.

Headed in the wrong direction

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best perk about working at this location is the free parking. The Bistro offers a nice variety of dining options on campus which comes in handy when you are rushed for lunch.

Cons

Where to start?? It's the annual review season here and there are a lot of angry people walking about the building. As usual, we hear from upper management how the company is doing well and how much they appreciate all the hard work we've done, but then you get your notice on what your pay increase is for the year and you find out that after they have reduced your Benefit Dollars and increased the employee cost of medical and dental insurance that you are actually bringing home less money than you were last year. It's a literal smack in the face. I've watched a lot of good, hard working people walk out the door this past year and I believe I've finally figured out why. Fifth Third management identifies who they feel are "high performers" and will groom these folks to progress upward within the company. The rest of the people are just job fillers and you are on your own. No coaching, no training, no support at all. The business model is to keep turnover high (in the 38% range) because to upper management it's more economical to bring in new people off the street and pay them lower wages than it is to actually develop people and pay them a decent salary. The only way to make more money is to try to find a position a level higher than the one you have. The problem with that is you have to be on that list of top performers to even be considered regardless of what experience you can bring to the table. If you are desperate for a job and it comes down to starving or working here, I think next time I'd choose to starve. My recommendation to anyone seeking employment with Fifth Third is to stay away. I know I won't be here much longer. I came here thinking I could have a career and what I've discovered is that it's just a job.

My advice to upper management is to actually develop all your employees and not only the "annointed". There are many, many good people who come in every day and work hard. All they want is a fair wage and the opportunity to contribute more. I can guarantee you that the expense of developing your people is better spent that the cost to on-board and train new hires every time you turn around.

Unorganized, no direction. Too many changes.

Current Employee - Relationship
    Current Employee - Relationship

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-flexible schedule depending on job role
    -strong talent and management in certain areas

Cons

-constantly changing management
    -unorganized approach to doing business
    -negative work environment

Conservative, stuffy bank, but great if you like that type of atmosphere

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

Job security is pretty good and if you find your spot you can stay on autopilot for sometime.

Cons

Opportunities for growth are not present except for select few.

Financial Center Manager

I worked at Fifth Third

Pros

Job provides opportunities for networking with a variety of companies.

Cons

Management somewhat out of touch with day to day of branch operations.

When soliciting employee feed back provide a truly anonymous vehicle to provide feedback. Do not overshadow employee concerns with already established practices.

understaffed constantly but the coworkers do the best they can

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

great environment with great mobility, big bank with a small bank feel. okay if you have no experience and want a more professional job.

Cons

always understaffed, and then they are shoving sales products down you throat.

Get corporate to offer more hours so that clients don't get upset when there is insufficient staff.

It was ok.

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great opportunities to move up. Lots of communication and get the feeling that you do help people everyday.

Cons

Training is lacking and seems very scattered. Pay does not seem to reflect work accomplished.

Fees Fees Fees

Current Employee - Office Manager
    Current Employee - Office Manager

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent salary and wonderful coworkers. The atmosphere of the banking centers is open most of the time. Offers incentive pay for sales in addition to a salary/hourly rate.

Cons

So many fees. The banking centers hands are tied when it comes to fee reversal. This leads to several circumstances where upper management would make a decision on the reversals. Many times they would reverse the fees for the people that had more money in their accounts and decline fee reversal for fixed lower income customers. I guess they figure they won't get any more business out of them... It's hard to have a clear conscience at the end of the day.

Company with No Direction, Bad Management, And Unrealistic expectations.

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

- Holiday days off
    - Tuition Reimbursement
    - Fast track career paths

Cons

-Bad Management
    - Ancient Technology
    - High Turnover
    - No Competitive edge
    - Very few Career Paths
    - Low Pay
    - Average Co-workers
    - Non Challenging work load
    - Code Calling

Try to implement a way to attract more competent staff that are able to effectively drive the companies vision.

Low staffing models, quantity over quality sales techniques

Former Employee - Financial Center Manager

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company had good marketing initiatives that supported brand recognition. The salary is competitive compared to industy standards. Technology for customers was constantly improving which added to sales opportunities.

Cons

The staffing model is based on minimum required staff to run operations. This means anytime a staff member called off there was an immediate emergency and often times people were unavailable to cover from other branches because all branches tended to be understaffed. This causes issues with managers having to regularly complete their employee's jobs during open hours and start their own responsibilities after hours. This also had a direct impact on customer relations. This was a big difference from what I found working at other banks. They also tended to focus on the quantity of sales instead of the quality of sales.

Increase the staffing model so that each team member can be effective in their own position.