Fifth Third Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
670 reviews filtered by

Unorganized, no direction. Too many changes.

Current Employee - Relationship
    Current Employee - Relationship

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-flexible schedule depending on job role
    -strong talent and management in certain areas

Cons

-constantly changing management
    -unorganized approach to doing business
    -negative work environment

2. Conservative, stuffy bank, but great if you like that type of atmosphere

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

Job security is pretty good and if you find your spot you can stay on autopilot for sometime.

Cons

Opportunities for growth are not present except for select few.

Unhealthy.

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A paycheck. That is it.

Cons

Where does one even begin?
    - Unqualified management who only manage up
    - Layers upon layers of bureaucracy. Nothing ever gets done efficiently or correctly
    - Poor titles and general role clarity
    - Terrible, outdated processes (if there are any at all?)
    - Outdated technologies (everything breaks, constantly)
    - Management who will throw you under bus in a heartbeat
    - Management that takes credit for their employees work
    - Management that plays favorites with their employees
    - Unfriendly and untrustworthy co-workers (can’t blame them, as it’s just a side effect of an unhealthy workplace)
    - High impact decisions made off ‘feelings’ and not facts or data
    - No accountability placed on Managers (they’ll blame someone who makes 3 times less than them, instead)
    - Negative work environment, where people are extremely unhappy
    - They don't care about previous experience or skills. You either act like management's dog, and play by their rules, or you will be labeled as 'uncooperative' or 'confrontational' or some other ridiculous word meant to demoralize you to the point you have lost all your self worth. In that sense, it's like being a slave or infantry.

If you like being abused and want to lose your career confidence—work here.
    If you are looking for something more fulfilling in a career and don’t feel like being miserable everyday—do not work here.

Get rid of the dead weight dinosaur management. They are only concerned with keeping their bloated salary job -- not moving the company or their employees forward. The management is unqualified, and rude to their employees. You will be losing me as an employee, soon.

5. Fifth Third is a very friendly company and spends a lot of time training their employees

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Fifth Third

Pros

A lot of opportunities to learn new skills and move up in the company
    Good base pay and nice monthly bonuses

Cons

The metrics are pretty strict

6. Financial Center Manager

Former Employee - Financial Center Manager
    Former Employee - Financial Center Manager

I worked at Fifth Third

Pros

Job provides opportunities for networking with a variety of companies.

Cons

Management somewhat out of touch with day to day of branch operations.

When soliciting employee feed back provide a truly anonymous vehicle to provide feedback. Do not overshadow employee concerns with already established practices.

7. Terrible upper management and resources. No support.Spoke and wheel meetings where one branch steals from another.

Former Employee - Mortgage Originator
    Former Employee - Mortgage Originator

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Remote access, which means you can work straight through the one day you take "off" in an entire year.You can use your personal cell so that clients can text and call you all day on Memorial day and Christmas Eve. You can pay for your company trip for training and expense it later. It is so wonderful that they tell the training class after arrival that it is up to us to pay first and expense meals and hotel later. Fifth Third makes a big deal about supporting the military but is not a preferred lender for the Welcome Home Hero home loans. Vets should shop around first. Also, they have new mlos thinking their Dr loan is the best, when there are other banks out there who also have Dr loans. Fifth Third increases the pricing on these...not very competitive.

Cons

In an effort to source my own leads (zero quality leads from bankers)...I met with a realtor(one of the many), a family friend, in the business for 30 years. His main suggestion was that I work for a different company. In his experience, he lost clients after the long turn time. He said he would never use Fifth Third Mortgage again.During training, I asked three times about the application fee. Three times because I couldn't get a straight answer. As it turns out, I accepted the $495 app fee when I took the app and supporting docs. I was later told you have to wait ten days and legally, I could not collect a different check, so, it came out of my pay. Our trainer resigned after 2 months. The ten of us were assigned branches on our own. It was supposed to be six months. Each question would take multiple calls and emails. My manager said call the resource desk, and they would say that I would need to ask my manager. Their systems for working and taking a loan app would freeze up. Processors and closers would get laid off and you would have to fight to get your loan to close.

This division of the bank is so screwed up...I don't think any words of advice could help.

Not what I expected leaving a larger bank for this one

Current Employee - Financial Center Manager in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Center Manager in Naples, FL

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time

Pros

As an FCM (branch manager) the benefits Fifth Third offers are very competitive with much larger banks. Salary is about the same as larger banks.

Cons

As they continue to outsource departments, close branches or convert them to "Banks of the future" staffing model continues to drop in brick and mortar. Building maintenance is not good at all. Takes forever for anything to get fixed, with very little expenditure on facility. Equipment and processes are outdated and extremely inefficient. Incentive plans become harder to achieve and payouts slowly declining. Most importantly, as they continue to cut staffing in branches, the manager gets to wear additional hats each year. Can be very overwhelming to complete all tasks, trackers, reports, forms etc. With all the busy work, it makes it nearly impossible to schedule daily time with team members, actually coaching them and helping them attain team goals.

Stop with the micromanaging tasks and offsite meetings, and outside business cold calling. Managers cannot be all and do all. Let us do what makes other banks successful, by having the FCM in the branch, actually focused only around coaching their team. You will see the results nearly immediately by removing all the paperwork, trackers, meetings, and unnecessary forms.

9. It was ok.

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great opportunities to move up. Lots of communication and get the feeling that you do help people everyday.

Cons

Training is lacking and seems very scattered. Pay does not seem to reflect work accomplished.

10. New, but like it

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, laid back co workers

Cons

Training wasn't very well organized

11. understaffed constantly but the coworkers do the best they can

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

great environment with great mobility, big bank with a small bank feel. okay if you have no experience and want a more professional job.

Cons

always understaffed, and then they are shoving sales products down you throat.

Get corporate to offer more hours so that clients don't get upset when there is insufficient staff.