Fifth Third

Fifth Third Reviews

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
3.2

Fifth Third President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Fifth Third Bank Kevin T. Kabat
Kevin T. Kabat

Pros
  • Work-life balance is easily attained when working at Fifth Third Bank (in 21 reviews)

• Worked with some awesome people; good benefits in line with what others offer (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't understand things that happen within the branch (in 31 reviews)

• Sales goals are not realistic and the training was inadequate (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

dfd

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

pay location parking etc etch

Cons

boss, office culture, boys club

dfdfdf

Began promising, but now I'm looking elsewhere...

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and 401k. They do have incentives in place if you meet/exceed sales goals

Cons

-So much of the job is focused on sales, and not on truly building a relationship with customers. I get chastised for not pushing product with each customer, even if I've already spoken to that customer numerous times previously. I've had customers yell at me and threaten to leave the bank because we push products too much.
    -CEI is ridiculous. You only get paid if the banking center as a whole has an A, not based on individual performance. Tellers are told to be intentionally vague about products in order to have customers meet with bankers, yet we are scored on whether or not we are Knowledgable about products, Proactive about offering services, etcetera. The surveys seem rigged to set you up for failure.
    -I asked if I could be compensated for parking and travel when I was asked to work at a different banking center, was bullied by my FCM to not apply for compensation because it would affect our P&L (profits and loss)
    -Consistently understaffed, high turn over
    -As a part time CSR, I found it very difficult to advance to a full time position. Seems like the bank prefers to hire part time workers rather than create full time positions

Consider rephrasing survey questions when determining CEI. I understand the need for feedback (and I honestly do appreciate helpful feedback - I want to improve!) but asking questions that go against what we are trained to do is very aggravating and only leads to a feeling of hopelessness and disillusionment

Management lacks insight of critical elements of investment real estate.

Former Employee - Vice President-Commercial Real Estate in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Vice President-Commercial Real Estate in Tampa, FL

I worked at Fifth Third

Pros

Cincinnati- based bank expanded initially into Florida by acquiring other less profitable banks. Great benefits, good upside potential. Good potential for new business development.

Cons

Those in charge of commercial real estate lending lacked insight as to quality of transactions placed before them. Presentation of a quality relationship-building deal with strong credit in place, experienced ownership/ management of the underlying property was ignored, while other lenders would have jumped on this transaction. I was self-managed, created my own work environment as a vice president. Fortunately those upstream from me were replaced.

Management needs to understand the multiple aspects of income producing properties. This includes the physical real estate, it's location, it's sponsorship, occupancy, quality of development and likelihood for future and ongoing business opportunities. Upstream management needs to understand real estate economics, cash flow, lease review, debt/ equity relationship etc. Management needs to become more visionary in it's commercial real estate overview and get the big picture.

They do not value their employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a good, stable job with a stable company. Plenty of training opportunities within your department.

Cons

Horrible job at placing employees based on their qualifications. They do not place much value on your experience outside of the bank. Raise didn't keep up with inflation.

Place employees better. Show more appreciation. Give raises that at least keep up with inflation.

I worked here for 3.5 years. It was a good experience, but couldn't grow with the company.

Former Employee - Lead Customer Service Representative in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Lead Customer Service Representative in Louisville, KY

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good leadership. They help teach you how to sell the products to the customers. You get compensated for the sales you make. Great people to work with.

Cons

It was hard to grow within the company if you didn't go into a sales role. The customer service manager position is what I wanted. They got rid of it the last year I was there. I decided to leave because of that.

Make sure your employees are happy. Find out their dreams with the company. Please help them get promoted if that is their goal. You will keep good employees that way.

In a nutshell

Current Employee - Workout Officer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Workout Officer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

Interesting work, nice people to work with.

Cons

Change not to improve performance or efficiency but change to prove someone thinks they are important. Many Silos.

Eliminate some layers of management and streamline the business.

Previous employment review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The firm is a great stepping stone into the industry. Working in its headquarter city gives access to senior management on a daily basis.

Cons

Has a commercial and retail bank mentality. Other departments seem to struggle to have clarity and to be understood.

Make sure the right people are in place to be running the various divisions. Also, remember that employee appreciation is a huge part of morale. Associates want recognition and to be compensated according to their contributions.

CSR

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Fifth Third part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Depends on the branch, people were great

Cons

very sales oriented. Number matter

CSRs are meant for customer service, leave the selling to the PBs

Great if you're a good old boy

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Fifth Third

Pros

They managed to survive the banking crisis

Cons

Wages aren't competitive. Perks are reserved for managers.

Hire qualified people and get rid of the dead weight.

Good company horrible managers to work for

I have been working at Fifth Third

Pros

Great products and they do belive in helping the customer.

Cons

No support from regionals just beat downs only. Incentive structure here is horrible.

Regional need to do a better job in helping there employees succeed.