Fig & Olive Restaurant Reviews

Gregory Galy

Great Student job

Current Employee - Server in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Server in New York, NY

I have been working at Fig & Olive Restaurant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Short shifts, great money. Restaurant business is great for students who have limited time and need flexibility. I managed to make enough money to pay for a city college, travel and save up.

Cons

Longer shifts over the weekends and holidays. Basically, you dont have weekends to hang out with your 9 to 5 friends and most of the time you work on holidays. Fig is closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas though.

Advice to Management

Management is great, very supportive. The big problem is that they work too much and get moody at times.

Very corporate serving job

I have been working at Fig & Olive Restaurant

Pros

Kenyon, the GM, is the best GM I have ever worked for, and is the best GM you will ever work for. And the menu is ridiculously overpriced, so there is money to be made. But seriously, Kenyon rules. If you are looking to work in corporate restaurant management, then you wanna work for her.

Cons

The corporate office seems to micro-manage every aspect of the restaurant. To ridiculous levels. All reservations are booked through new york, and Friday and Saturday nights are continually overbooked during dinner rushes leading to pissed off customers and long ticket times. Management cannot even add a button to the micros system without corporate approval. If you are a career server, I would be wary to work here, though the money can be good. It is clear that the corporation is looking to build the brand and has a 5 year plan of selling the restaurant to a larger restaurant group and cashing out. Most of the servers are in their early 20s and are not in it for the long haul.

Advice to Management

Corporate should loosen up the reins a little and allow their different restaurants to have a little bit of their own identity. And for god's sake, allow the reservations to be completed locally.

Who do they think they are? Took a month to train then fired for limited availability.

Former Employee - Server in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Server in Newport News, VA

I worked at Fig & Olive Restaurant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The food is alright but nothing special.

Cons

It took me almost a month to complete the 5 day server training. The managers wouldn't return my phone calls or emails as I was instructed to find out which day I would train next. They'd schedule one day here, one day there...a month goes by and I've wasted too much time. They're so unorganized that they didn't know what day I was completing on my 5th day. Two weeks after I finished my training (and multiple tests), they called to ask what my availability was. At this point, I'm still not on the schedule after a month from being hired. I had to pick up a few shifts somewhere else to pay the bills so I let Fig and Olive know that my availability changed, and they called to let me know that they wanted "part ways." There was no negotiation. Just a thank you and goodbye.

Advice to Management

Get organized. You're wasting a lot of peoples' time. You expect the servers to know the ins and outs of all menus and you can't even remember your servers' names? You also might not want to mention that you rate the servers and place the best servers in the best (most profitable) sections, it's not very motivating.

RSS Feed </> Embed