Fiksu Reviews

Updated April 14, 2015
17 reviews filtered by
3.5
Micah Adler, PhD

1. I know I've made the right choice...Fiksu!

I have been working at Fiksu

Pros

Great People! Great Benefits! Great Perks! Great training and learning development opportunities! Generous Tuition reimbursement and external training policy! Free phone! Clearly defined roles and responsibility. The perfect amount of direction and autonomy from my manager! Awesome flexible work arrangement! Free food! Wonderful culture! Great wellness programs! I really enjoy coming to work! What I do really matters!

Cons

I can't think of an area to fault. I am in a department that I feel free to communicate challenges and suggest solutions. I am allowed to make mistakes and learn from them without fear of retribution. Company is experiencing growth and with growth come stretching and some discomfort. The company is working its way through this transition process!

2. Strong company goals and values

I have been working at Fiksu full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fiksu offers a great work life balance. They have strong goals and objectives that allow you to learn new things every day while working in a fun collaborative culture with really smart people. Every day is different for me, I walk around and see so many intelligent people that are making the company what is it and what it is suppose to be.

Cons

The pay may be a bit lower but the benefits make up for it.

Advice to Management

The C levels should listen and communicate to their managers. There can never be too much communication with what is going on in the company.

3. Almost no oversight or exemplary management TRULY isolates employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fiksu full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Generous WFH policy, good work/life balance, really fascinating industry, opportunity to work with some top brands

Cons

Employees are left on their own to teach themselves processes, best practices, and industry trends.
    Executives feed employees rhetoric about the financial health / status of the company.
    Externally hired middle management is incredibly incompetent, and markedly slower to learn than employees
    The company has no loyalty to tenured employees, aside from a few VPs / SVPs.
    The company will not put resources where needed because they refuse to pay market rate for top talent

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage highly intelligent people who are driven to learn and excel. Listen to satellite employee's requests. Everything could be ship shape in HQ, but when overwhelmingly a satellite office outlines an issue, your really should take said issue into consideration. EVEN if that issue is at odds with one of your beloved VPs/SVPs

Poor Managing

Current Employee - Digital Designer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Digital Designer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Fiksu full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, fun atmosphere, laid back. It's a great place to work, we get treaded very good there. HR is always there to help and anyone in the company is willing to go above and beyond for you.

Cons

No signs of creative life, not very design focused place. Theres a lack of leadership and too many people wanting to do their own thing.

Advice to Management

If you are not a creative and don't understand design then maybe the best thing to do is not try and manage designers.

6. A company in poor health

I have been working at Fiksu

Pros

Unlimited vacation
    Great snacks
    Free lunch and booze

Cons

- Company recently went through a round of lay-offs. Not a great sign for a late-stage start-up that was contemplating an IPO and additional funding rounds.
    - CEO public speaking skills could be better. Not exactly inspirational.

Advice to Management

Purge employees who don't deliver true value. Rather than attempt to build everything under the sun, pick something to focus on.

Disconnected Management

I have been working at Fiksu

Pros

Fiksu has a number of great people and there is some flexibility for working from home and PTO. There are gym/cell phone reimbursements and it's a very social company.

Cons

Hours: Night/weekend work is frequent for anyone engaged with campaigns / performance
    Compensation: Far below market
    Management: Disconnected from the rest of the company and lacks long term strategic direction - only focused on positioning the company for an IPO

Advice to Management

Fiksu is far past the point of being a start-up and needs to refocus on it's people and strategy / direction as a company. There is very little room for career growth and management needs to better define roles / career paths to attract and retain talented people.

Intern: Great Atmosphere and Learning Experience

Former Intern - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Fiksu as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The people at the company are very smart, nice, and willing to help each other. As an intern I felt like I had the opportunity to make an impact on the company, learn about mobile, and get advice and help. Co-workers develop great relationships, especially within divisions, and often go out for drinks together. Also, great perks at office - free snacks, office bar, open office layout.

Cons

Depending on your role there, it can get a little repetitive, but that is usually the case with all jobs.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow company with inclusive, open, and collaborative culture. Room for improvement could be for better communications between divisions and making sure everyone is on the same page and understands how their role must change when new product launches or major deal or partnership is reached.

Good company to start your career

I worked at Fiksu

Pros

a lot of perks: free lunch on Thursday, unlimited PTO, snacks, many fun events;
    energetic and laid-back environment; The industry is interesting and fast growing;

Cons

compensation is relatively low compared to other high tech companies. With the expansion of the company, communications between teams become less efficient.

Great work environment

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Fiksu as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good hours, usually 10am-6pm for Engineers. A great community among employees, occasional after-work drinks, and plenty of food in the office. Open floor plan with no cubicles. Unlimited vacation. A lot of creative freedom.

Cons

Quick turnover for positions. Average employment across all employees < 9 months.

Not worth it

Former Employee - Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Fiksu full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Young and fun coworkers, a well stocked kitchen, free food on Thursdays, and most importantly, a brilliant work-life balance offering.

Cons

Lack of organization or structure. Everyone seems to do what they want - this is great initially, but once the novelty of this misleading freedom, along with the free food and snacks which blinds employees, wears off, you realize that the place is just an average/below-average firm that pays it's employees less than market averages. This is a great place to for mid-level managers looking to continue their career but if you plan on starting your career here, I'd suggest you give it some more thought.

Advice to Management

A little more diversity
    A more professional HR staff
    More communication with the staff.