Financial Engines

3.3

Financial Engines President & CEO Larry M. Raffone
Larry M. Raffone
1 Rating

Pros
  • Great workspace, free snacks and drinks and great work life balance with lots of perks (in 6 reviews)

• It feels good to build useful applications that help people plan their retirement (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Not allot of internal career growth opportunities (in 4 reviews)

• Executive management and mid-level managers continue to lie to the average employee creating a false sense of career advancement (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

A great company that will only get better

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company is comprixed of employees who share and believe strongly in the company vision that everyone deserves personalized retirement help, regardless of level, wealth, occupation, etc. The people at FE are smart, hardworking, and want to make a difference for participants. While the company is growing quickly, and we don't have all the answers, we are all trying hard to find them. We care and we want to make the company a success for our sponsors, partners, participants, and each other.

Cons

We're growing and changing and not everyone likes that or can operate in such an environment. There are bumps and frustrations but there are also high points and great work, camaraderie, innovations, flexiblity, self-satisfation, and more.

Toxic office of the General Counsel

I worked at Financial Engines

Pros

The Sunnyvale office is a great work environment-sunny and open work spaces with many employee meeting areas. I had a good interview experience and new hire orientation was really inspiring. Free food and drinks and great office location -near the light rail -in the silicon valley. I was looking forward to brining my new ideas to the company.

Cons

When you join FNGN-they tell you they want your new ideas and want change in the organization. However, you learn very quickly that any new ideas or suggestions to change processes are delayed or die once the General Counsel has to review them-and it appears that she has to review and approve everything. There are MANY steps to implementing any new ideas and the GC has veto power at every step-you will hear about how the industry is regulated and so you must do things the "old way" and how the "old" cumbersome approval processes must be followed-or else. Also-the GC is often unavailable because she is preparing to leave for a vacation or on a lengthy vacation in Europe or Hawaii etc or just returning from a lengthy vacation-so even if you are persistent enough to keep trying to get new ideas implemented-you have a very limited window of GC availability and if you do get to see her the meeting will be unpleasant OR she will farm out new ideas to be reviewed by expensive outside counsel and they are billing by the hour and have no interest in approving things quickly.

Continue your great initial employee experience by limiting the review and approvals allowed by the GCs office. Insist that when employees bring new ideas to the GCs office they don't have to wait for her long executive vacations to conclude and that there is genuine interest and support in hearing about and implementing new ideas and processes.

I don't see why people think this is such a great place to work. They're a ship lacking direction and sinking fast.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Financial Engines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A new CEO who actually might make a difference. Relatively nice new office but its work space configuration is whack and makes it hard to get anything done. Some nice, dedicated, hardworking people.

Cons

Executive and senior management turnover however getting rid of the old CEO was a huge plus. Their "vision" was all over the map. Legal department was extremely difficult to work with. Marketing was a joke - full of bozos from top to bottom. HR was worse. Growing too fast without enough people to get the work done. They claim they're all about work life balance but that wasn't my experience. They are subtly forcing out the old timers to bring in younger, cheaper employees. No real career advancement opportunities.

Executive management needs to get on the same page - about everything. Can everyone in HR and legal.

Average place but not good as Bay Area Culture !

Current Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good Place to work as they have good benefits.

Cons

Work Place rule by old employees and they do not want to move forward with new technologies or new people.

Make proper structure for new employees

Not a place for you if you want to think about how to get your work done

I worked at Financial Engines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hour, free beverage, lots of food

Cons

management issue, old school thoughts and manual process everywhere

Please train management to allow employees to think how they want to get their work done. There is more than one way to get the work done.

A lot of friction at first, but ended up with a good career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice, friendly, helpful people - "help" is a core aspect of the culture and is taken seriously
    Good PTO and benefits
    Laid back office culture
    I got lucky and was able to get a promotion after a year which put my higher education (Masters) to good use.

Cons

Below market comp (at least in Technology) - it definitely feels like we are not staying competitive in the "talent arms race"
    Lots of meetings and then meetings to recap what was discussed in meetings. I understand broad communication is a tenet of Agile, but I go to work to get work done! It's hard to be a 5'xer here let alone a 10'xer if 25-50% of your time is spent in meetings.
    Single-minded focus on getting JUnit failures to 0% instead of seeing the bigger picture from a QA standpoint.

Bump compensation but also demand a high-performance culture. Cut down on meetings and give people the time and freedom to use their creative juices in order to accomplish this. Google, FB, etc do pay a lot but also have expectations to match.

Nice Place

Current Intern - Software Intern in San Jose, CA
    Current Intern - Software Intern in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Financial Engines as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

This is the good place to work

Cons

Work is challenging. you dont work in comfort zone.

THey are nice. :

Good Company Poor Management

Former Employee - Service Delivery Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Service Delivery Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Financial Engines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great workspace, free snacks and drinks and great work life balance with lots of perks.

Cons

Management isn't properly trained or skilled enough to lead team. They are not good leaders. Concerns and complaints from employees are ignored as a result issues continue to happen and the employees are left to pick up pieces. They have a habit of putting temporary band aids on problems and moving to the next big project.

Is the Engine Running Out Of Gas?

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company continues to be a fast growing firm that is continually expanding it's customer and sponsor client base. They have done and are doing great things for the average investor. The culture is an "aggressive" sales culture where you sink or swim within the first 90 days. Resources and tools available to employees are adequate

Cons

Senior management expresses the desire to listen to employee feedback but when feedback is provided it is often ignored. Many of the mid level marketing managers are not knowledgable about the actual operations of a financial services business and the business is very silo orientated with minimal coordination between departments. Company went on a hiring binge for marketing and customer experience staff but has mostly overlooked advisors.

Really focus on the participant and the value of the advisor as opposed to the "black box" of investment methodology and technology. Pay close attention to the new "robo advisors" - remember IBM and Microsoft... IBM never saw it coming.

Worked in Boston -- Great place to work with good pay in Sales

Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at Financial Engines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in Sales and highly respected upper management. Great group with a great work environment. Unfortunately they were running out of prospects due to the fact we were only competitive in the Jumbo market. Very good pay with great work/life balance. Understood people have family's

Cons

Company wont build a product for the Mid - Markets. The way the offering is set up it is only competitive in the Jumbo market.

Office culture was very positive with great people

Build a mid - market offering and expand sales force again.

Build an app for Iphone's