Financial Engines
www.financialengines.com Sunnyvale, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Financial Engines Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
Financial Engines – Sunnyvale – “Coroprate Headquarters”

Financial Engines President and CEO Jeff N. Maggioncalda

Jeff N. Maggioncalda

Great Mission, fabulous company

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

Proshighly motivated, visionary and cooperative team.
    Managers are friendly and nice
    Free breakfast and lots of drinks
    working on cutting edge technology
    team members are very friendly and helpful
    No pressure
    scrum methodology help to get frequent feedback from everyone.

Consshould give more benefits to inters specially travel.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould give some more compensation and benefits to employees like travel etc.
    especially to the interns.

Great Product with Great Vision

ProsI feel it's a great product that can help people in their planning of money savings, that will help them in future.
    It was a great & quick interview process. Team and Recruiter very very supportive during the process of H1b transfer and shifting the joining date based on my availability.

ConsGiving people tool for that future planning is a great responsibility.

Great Environment, Great Team

Software Developer Intern (Current Employee)

ProsGood work environment.
    Good balance between work and life.
    No micro-management

ConsNone as far as I know.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Laid back growth company

ProsThe benefits are great and the people make work enjoyable. Free breakfast, snacks and drinks are nice perks. New open concept office lends itself to collaboration amongst teams.

ConsThe organization is flat with very little growth opportunity. When jobs do become available they hire from the outside rather than rewarding tenure or further developing current staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on career development for Managers and above. You are losing great talent.

Burn and Churn management team

ProsHighly intelligent staff (only Stanford grads need apply) & interesting work

ConsBurn and churn of executive staff
    4 EVPs in customer experience in less than 3 years
    2 VPs in customer experience quit or "on leave"
    3 VPs in investment management in 3 years
    6 VPs in human resources in 8 years
    EVP in technology just quit

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat is going on with so many executives leaving? You need to keep executives in marketing, HR and technology rather than making it impossible for them to stay. Learn how to work with people who did not go to Stanford and who are new to the company. If you can't take care of marketing, technology and your employees what CAN you do?

Its like a government office in third world country

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThey are in the valley.

ConsI agree with some of the reviews here on Glassdoor.com... this place does not have a vibe of a high tech company. They are very slow in adapting anything new. The technology they were using in 2013, was the technology I used in 2007-2008 in another company.
    Once the excitement of new job was over - I quickly figured that I had just depreciated value of my career. During my run here, I did not learn anything new in terms of technology (I mean it...). There was no scope for innovation or learning.

I went to Financial Engines from a start-up. At our 20 people startup - our direction changed frequently, it was exhausting - but there was leadership, there was a vision! At Financial Engines, there is NO vision, and absolutely NO leadership. There is tons of micromanagement - if thats what you are looking for go and join Financial Engines.

People are another topic of discussion too. Yes, most of the people there have been around for a very long time (I don't know if that is good either..); They know functionality very well...and they WILL NOT share the knowledge...! They guard their turf! Not one manager/director/VP has diverse teams.

Mixed... wild wild west and wonderful until they went public and shifted dramatically culturally

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPassion, intensity, camaraderie amongst lower level employees

Conshorrendous work life balance; tail wags the dog; if you're not in the 'in' group of managers and execs, you'll never move up or have your opinions listened to. Customers don't come first.

Advice to Senior Managementstart listening to the employees that are closest to the customers

Not for rockstar engineers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsProbably a good company for engineers seeking "stability" over growth.

ConsNote: The review is about Financial Engines Tech organization only (may be Prod Management too), HR, Legal may be more desirable to employees.

1. From Technology perspective this is a feet dragging organization. It became clear to me on the first day. Dated frameworks, tools (if at all they exist), and everything is home grown!

2. The architects/tech decision makers are old and very conservative. Very slow in adapting the technology that will not only make the application development easy, but also secure. The only reason they are not hacked yet is probably because they never came on the hacker's radar. Developers are responsible for web development too (result - check out their web site - if you can figure out how to get there..) .
    3. BTW there are not many top school employees in the tech org here (there are quite a few in legal and business side), but somehow during interviews they create air as such (IIRC - quote from one of my FEI interviewer "We use to employ Ivy League graduates only - now we have relaxed") -- Check out linkedIn profiles of their tech staff.

4. New people are not welcome! Yes, the old timers are very touchy-feely with each other. If you don't suck up - you are out! One more thing, check out the profiles of Directors are VPs. Pay attention to their tenure at FE and academic background - ALL have been there at FE for 12+ years, none is from high ranking University. (Most are not even from a second rate University - how did I not see it before joining?)

5. Also people who have been there for more than 5 years pretty much don't have to follow any rules - they roll in at 10 and leave at 4:30. Also, its common practice for managers/directors to insult staff in meetings.

6. They follow some pseudo agile development methodology, people spend a good % of time filling up the time-sheets.
     7. There are way too many couples in tech org!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of your current tech management! Bring some new blood in.

Engineers are a dime a dozen

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsInteresting product space, fun group of people

ConsPoorly designed product, overly difficult to use

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your engineers more and simpify your product

Financial Engines' best days in the past

Customer Experience (Former Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat people and very smart.

ConsOld technology and aging platform. Employees' skills quickly become obsolete. Incredibly political, and hierarchical culture for a small company. No room for new ideas unless it comes from the CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop saying one thing and then doing the opposite. Your either lying, forgetful or disorganized.

Worked for Financial Engines? Contribute to the Community!

Financial Engines Videos

Financial Engines – Why Work for Us?

Dr. William F. Sharpe (Bill) is a recipient of the 1990 Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences, and has helped some of the nation's largest pension fund managers invest billions of dollars of retirement money. He started… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Financial Engines reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Financial Engines CEO Jeff N. Maggioncalda. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Financial Engines employees.