Financial Engines

Updated November 26, 2014
3.4

Financial Engines President and CEO Jeff N. Maggioncalda
Jeff N. Maggioncalda

A lot of friction at first, but ended up with a good career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice, friendly, helpful people - "help" is a core aspect of the culture and is taken seriously
    Good PTO and benefits
    Laid back office culture
    I got lucky and was able to get a promotion after a year which put my higher education (Masters) to good use.

Cons

Below market comp (at least in Technology) - it definitely feels like we are not staying competitive in the "talent arms race"
    Lots of meetings and then meetings to recap what was discussed in meetings. I understand broad communication is a tenet of Agile, but I go to work to get work done! It's hard to be a 5'xer here let alone a 10'xer if 25-50% of your time is spent in meetings.
    Single-minded focus on getting JUnit failures to 0% instead of seeing the bigger picture from a QA standpoint.

Bump compensation but also demand a high-performance culture. Cut down on meetings and give people the time and freedom to use their creative juices in order to accomplish this. Google, FB, etc do pay a lot but also have expectations to match.

A great company that will only get better

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company is comprixed of employees who share and believe strongly in the company vision that everyone deserves personalized retirement help, regardless of level, wealth, occupation, etc. The people at FE are smart, hardworking, and want to make a difference for participants. While the company is growing quickly, and we don't have all the answers, we are all trying hard to find them. We care and we want to make the company a success for our sponsors, partners, participants, and each other.

Cons

We're growing and changing and not everyone likes that or can operate in such an environment. There are bumps and frustrations but there are also high points and great work, camaraderie, innovations, flexiblity, self-satisfation, and more.

Good Company Poor Management

Former Employee - Service Delivery Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Service Delivery Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Financial Engines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great workspace, free snacks and drinks and great work life balance with lots of perks.

Cons

Management isn't properly trained or skilled enough to lead team. They are not good leaders. Concerns and complaints from employees are ignored as a result issues continue to happen and the employees are left to pick up pieces. They have a habit of putting temporary band aids on problems and moving to the next big project.

Nice Place

Current Employee - Software Intern in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Intern in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Financial Engines as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

This is the good place to work

Cons

Work is challenging. you dont work in comfort zone.

THey are nice. :

Is the Engine Running Out Of Gas?

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company continues to be a fast growing firm that is continually expanding it's customer and sponsor client base. They have done and are doing great things for the average investor. The culture is an "aggressive" sales culture where you sink or swim within the first 90 days. Resources and tools available to employees are adequate

Cons

Senior management expresses the desire to listen to employee feedback but when feedback is provided it is often ignored. Many of the mid level marketing managers are not knowledgable about the actual operations of a financial services business and the business is very silo orientated with minimal coordination between departments. Company went on a hiring binge for marketing and customer experience staff but has mostly overlooked advisors.

Really focus on the participant and the value of the advisor as opposed to the "black box" of investment methodology and technology. Pay close attention to the new "robo advisors" - remember IBM and Microsoft... IBM never saw it coming.

Service Delivery is career suicide

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Financial Engines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free drinks, and a new office

Cons

This company is a sinking ship, sinking like a rock. With years of low turnover, it's finally happening due to poor management on all levels and lack of career growth. Executive management and mid-level managers continue to lie to the average employee creating a false sense of career advancement. Not to mention, management hires new green employees at the same pay rate as seasoned experienced employees whom never advance when deserving. Instead, management promotes bad people and undeserving employees. The only way you move up in this company is to treat people with disrespect and blame others when you make mistakes. Great companies usually promote within, not Financial Engines, it's all politics bringing in external candidates whom act like they know everything. The best decision of my career was to leave this company. Don't commit career suicide and be with Financial Engines. Don't fall for all the fluff management throws at you, smoke and mirrors.

Stop promoting bad people and promote within. Stop lying to the average employee like you care who they are. You're dreams are coming true because of the low paying employees of Service Delivery. I once had a lot of respect for the executive team, but it's all been smoke and mirrors. Jeff M is blind to what's happening in Service Delivery. Morale is VERY low.

Worked in Boston -- Great place to work with good pay in Sales

Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at Financial Engines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in Sales and highly respected upper management. Great group with a great work environment. Unfortunately they were running out of prospects due to the fact we were only competitive in the Jumbo market. Very good pay with great work/life balance. Understood people have family's

Cons

Company wont build a product for the Mid - Markets. The way the offering is set up it is only competitive in the Jumbo market.

Office culture was very positive with great people

Build a mid - market offering and expand sales force again.

Build an app for Iphone's

Old school, terrible middle management

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- The engineers are generally easy to work with

Cons

- very old school managers especially the ones who've been here for a while. Although they've been asserting they'd like their development process to be agile, the team leads themselves are the biggest hurdle in getting there
     - very top-down and lots of micromanagement, You'll end up needing to worry about your manager rather than focus on the work
     - The CEO and the board seem ok and driven but they've ended up hiring the wrong executive team

Make your old schoolers change their ways and avoid micromanaging people. Do not promote someone to be an executive or a team lead based on their tenure. The company needs to build a better brand, no one wants to work for Financial Engines right now in a region that patronizes Google and Facebook

Poor experience with the recruiter.

I have been working at Financial Engines

Pros

The company is great with talented engineers. However, had a really bad interview experience.

Cons

The recruiter never called when he said he would. I had to email or call him every time. He lied to me about the hiring manager being interested in interviewing me. He did not think twice before appreciating his own communication skills which was a complete lie.

Good company for talented engineers and product managers

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer

I have been working at Financial Engines (more than 10 years)

Pros

It feels good to build useful applications that help people plan their retirement.
    CEO and EVPs believe in the mission of the company and work to make it a success.
    Very flexible work environment.
    Nice office environment in Sunnyvale.
    Good opportunities for promotion for those with the talent and inclination to move into management.

Cons

Too much reliance on ancient legacy code that should have been rewritten years ago.
    Management appears to think passing tests = good code quality; not much interest in emphasizing maintainability, understandability, etc.
    We've been slow to adopt new practices and frameworks.
    The transition to Agile was brutal. Project deadlines were decided top-down based on business requirements same as before, but with a ridiculous amount of time wasted in Agile meetings.
    Pay and benefits are probably average or might be below average.

Give us the time to clean up and modernize the code base.
    Do more to emphasize and reward best practices.

Financial Engines Photos