Financial Engines
www.financialengines.com Sunnyvale, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Financial Engines Reviews

Updated Mar 28, 2014
Financial Engines – Sunnyvale – “Coroprate Headquarters”

Financial Engines President and CEO Jeff N. Maggioncalda

Jeff N. Maggioncalda

Its like a government office in third world country

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time for more than a year

ProsThey are in the valley.

ConsI agree with some of the reviews here on Glassdoor.com... this place does not have a vibe of a high tech company. They are very slow in adapting anything new. The technology they were using in 2013, was the technology I used in 2007-2008 in another company.
Once the excitement of new job was over - I quickly figured that I had just depreciated value of my career. During my run here, I did not learn anything new in terms of technology (I mean it...). There was no scope for innovation or learning.

I went to Financial Engines from a start-up. At our 20 people startup - our direction changed frequently, it was exhausting - but there was leadership, there was a vision! At Financial Engines, there is NO vision, and absolutely NO leadership. There is tons of micromanagement - if thats what you are looking for go and join Financial Engines.

People are another topic of discussion too. Yes, most of the people there have been around for a very long time (I don't know if that is good either..); They know functionality very well...and they WILL NOT share the knowledge...! They guard their turf! Not one manager/director/VP has diverse teams.

Not for rockstar engineers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Financial Engines full-time for more than a year

ProsProbably a good company for engineers seeking "stability" over growth.

ConsNote: The review is about Financial Engines Tech organization only (may be Prod Management too), HR, Legal may be more desirable to employees.

1. From Technology perspective this is a feet dragging organization. It became clear to me on the first day. Dated frameworks, tools (if at all they exist), and everything is home grown!

2. The architects/tech decision makers are old and very conservative. Very slow in adapting the technology that will not only make the application development easy, but also secure. The only reason they are not hacked yet is probably because they never came on the hacker's radar. Developers are responsible for web development too (result - check out their web site - if you can figure out how to get there..) .
3. BTW there are not many top school employees in the tech org here (there are quite a few in legal and business side), but somehow during interviews they create air as such (IIRC - quote from one of my FEI interviewer "We use to employ Ivy League graduates only - now we have relaxed") -- Check out linkedIn profiles of their tech staff.

4. New people are not welcome! Yes, the old timers are very touchy-feely with each other. If you don't suck up - you are out! One more thing, check out the profiles of Directors are VPs. Pay attention to their tenure at FE and academic background - ALL have been there at FE for 12+ years, none is from high ranking University. (Most are not even from a second rate University - how did I not see it before joining?)

5. Also people who have been there for more than 5 years pretty much don't have to follow any rules - they roll in at 10 and leave at 4:30. Also, its common practice for managers/directors to insult staff in meetings.

6. They follow some pseudo agile development methodology, people spend a good % of time filling up the time-sheets.
 7. There are way too many couples in tech org!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of your current tech management! Bring some new blood in.

Mixed... wild wild west and wonderful until they went public and shifted dramatically culturally

I worked at Financial Engines

ProsPassion, intensity, camaraderie amongst lower level employees

Conshorrendous work life balance; tail wags the dog; if you're not in the 'in' group of managers and execs, you'll never move up or have your opinions listened to. Customers don't come first.

Advice to Senior Managementstart listening to the employees that are closest to the customers

Engineers are a dime a dozen

Engineer (Former Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Financial Engines full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInteresting product space, fun group of people

ConsPoorly designed product, overly difficult to use

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your engineers more and simpify your product

Financial Engines' best days in the past

Customer Experience (Former Employee)

I worked at Financial Engines full-time

ProsGreat people and very smart.

ConsOld technology and aging platform. Employees' skills quickly become obsolete. Incredibly political, and hierarchical culture for a small company. No room for new ideas unless it comes from the CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop saying one thing and then doing the opposite. Your either lying, forgetful or disorganized.

Good Stable Company

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Financial Engines full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood Product and Services
Management has a future vision
Great Work life balance
Family oriented company

ConsSalary less than market rate

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work just increase some salaries please :)

Great company with outstanding growth potential!

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time

ProsGreat perks, work/life balance and benefits.

ConsNot allot of internal career growth opportunities.

Can you find heaven on earth in a job? Well, YES!

Senior Portfolio Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time for more than a year

ProsFE has a wonderful balance of academic theory and real life application. It's wonderful to have a job in finance where you know the organization is really trying to help people (small or big account). You can sleep well at night. There are high standards here, great managers, top management is really accessible, incredible work life balance, and you don't have to wear a suit to work. The work is engaging and the culture is just plain happy. No big egos here. FE is the best place to work at.

ConsThe main office is in Sunnyvale.

Great work-life balance.

I have been working at Financial Engines

ProsThis is a great starter company for financial services or a good place to escape the pressure of the brokerage world.

ConsThere are no defined career ladders here. Also, the compensation will depend on your job title and which location you work at.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate career ladders.

Poor work life balance

I worked at Financial Engines

ProsGood pay and benefits. There are some good people in the organization.

ConsMicromanaging..poor career advancement opportunities..bad management..understaffing.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more realistic in what you expect..better organization. Help your employees to advance their careers.

Worked for Financial Engines? Contribute to the Community!

Financial Engines Videos

Financial Engines – Why Work for Us?

Dr. William F. Sharpe (Bill) is a recipient of the 1990 Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences, and has helped some of the nation's largest pension fund managers invest billions of dollars of retirement money. He started… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Financial Engines reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Financial Engines CEO Jeff N. Maggioncalda. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Financial Engines employees.