Financial Engines

www.financialengines.com

Financial Engines Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Financial Engines – Sunnyvale – “Coroprate Headquarters”

Financial Engines President and CEO Jeff N. Maggioncalda

Jeff N. Maggioncalda

Not for rockstar engineers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsProbably a good company for engineers seeking "stability" over growth.

ConsNote: The review is about Financial Engines Tech organization only (may be Prod Management too), HR, Legal may be more desirable to employees.

1. From Technology perspective this is a feet dragging organization. It became clear to me on the first day. Dated frameworks, tools (if at all they exist), and everything is home grown!

2. The architects/tech decision makers are old and very conservative. Very slow in adapting the technology that will not only make the application development easy, but also secure. The only reason they are not hacked yet is probably because they never came on the hacker's radar. Developers are responsible for web development too (result - check out their web site - if you can figure out how to get there..) .
    3. BTW there are not many top school employees in the tech org here (there are quite a few in legal and business side), but somehow during interviews they create air as such (IIRC - quote from one of my FEI interviewer "We use to employ Ivy League graduates only - now we have relaxed") -- Check out linkedIn profiles of their tech staff.

4. New people are not welcome! Yes, the old timers are very touchy-feely with each other. If you don't suck up - you are out! One more thing, check out the profiles of Directors are VPs. Pay attention to their tenure at FE and academic background - ALL have been there at FE for 12+ years, none is from high ranking University. (Most are not even from a second rate University - how did I not see it before joining?)

5. Also people who have been there for more than 5 years pretty much don't have to follow any rules - they roll in at 10 and leave at 4:30. Also, its common practice for managers/directors to insult staff in meetings.

6. They follow some pseudo agile development methodology, people spend a good % of time filling up the time-sheets.
     7. There are way too many couples in tech org!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of your current tech management! Bring some new blood in.

Engineers are a dime a dozen

Engineer (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsInteresting product space, fun group of people

ConsPoorly designed product, overly difficult to use

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your engineers more and simpify your product

Financial Engines' best days in the past

Customer Experience (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat people and very smart.

ConsOld technology and aging platform. Employees' skills quickly become obsolete. Incredibly political, and hierarchical culture for a small company. No room for new ideas unless it comes from the CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop saying one thing and then doing the opposite. Your either lying, forgetful or disorganized.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Stable Company

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGood Product and Services
    Management has a future vision
    Great Work life balance
    Family oriented company

ConsSalary less than market rate

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work just increase some salaries please :)

Great company with outstanding growth potential!

ProsGreat perks, work/life balance and benefits.

ConsNot allot of internal career growth opportunities.

Can you find heaven on earth in a job? Well, YES!

Senior Portfolio Analyst (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsFE has a wonderful balance of academic theory and real life application. It's wonderful to have a job in finance where you know the organization is really trying to help people (small or big account). You can sleep well at night. There are high standards here, great managers, top management is really accessible, incredible work life balance, and you don't have to wear a suit to work. The work is engaging and the culture is just plain happy. No big egos here. FE is the best place to work at.

ConsThe main office is in Sunnyvale.

Great work-life balance.

ProsThis is a great starter company for financial services or a good place to escape the pressure of the brokerage world.

ConsThere are no defined career ladders here. Also, the compensation will depend on your job title and which location you work at.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate career ladders.

Great place to work but at the time of my employment hours were long and more employees were needed.

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsSalary was very good, benefits great, people in the trenches were competent and fun to work with. Holiday and PTO typical of most companies. The best part of working there was knowing you were helping folks to utilize financial benefits provided by their companies but never fully explained. The product is priceless and the results of using FE as my own 401k adviser during one of the worst economic downturns resulted in my being able to move and purchase a home with my 401k.

ConsSome of the Senior Management group did not always seem up to the job they were hired for and misused funds in my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall CEO did excellent job of steering company and was tireless in the execution of his duty. Where I would say he went wrong was in the process for adding and terminating senior management. It is hard for an employee to watch good folks being let go.

Full of nice, intelligent people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsWhile I met some of the smartest people in the corporate world here, environment is very collegial and not cut-throat. There are many Stanford/Berkeley phds, and ex-stanford professors in investment management. The environment is very academic and encourages learning. People work hard but make time to help others. Health/vacation benefits are great. The recreation room is also great. Free beverages (sodas, sparkling water, etc.) and breakfast/snack foods.

ConsSalary is a bit below industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Great mission, but consistently overcommitted

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsThe mission of the company is very inspiring. Financial Engines provides top-notch investment advice to thousands of people for a fraction of the price typically charged by investment advisors. Employees are passionate and unified in this mission.

ConsThe executive management team consistently overcommits which results in people being stretched too thin. This leads to mistakes and re-work and ultimately slows things down. Morale is also down because people are burnt out.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to stay true to the mission, but work with employees to figure out a realistic workload so that we're not on a path for people to burn out and leave.

Worked for Financial Engines? Contribute to the Community!