Financial Services of America
www.fsa1.com Warren, MI 50 to 149 Employees

Financial Services of America Reviews

Updated Mar 7, 2014
Financial Services of America – Warren – “FSA HQ”

Financial Services of America President Richard James

Richard James

Overall a great place to work.....if you like sales.

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Warren, MI

ProsThe training was excellent. The management staff was knowledgeable and helpful. There is a definite attitude of "family first" when dealing with time off/emergencies.

ConsSales. Even though you help people with their retirement assets and insurances, it is a sales job which was not for me. Mr. James told me up front not to expect more income than the base pay for the first 6 months so there were no surprises.

***Read Me***

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsLet me first off start by stating I am NOT a manager but I have been with the FSA for just over 3 years. Now I have worked in management for over 15 years prior to coming on board and some of that time was working with other financial and insurance companies in Michigan. I pull no punches and would love to add my two cents.

The question being answered on this board is, Is FSA for every one, and that answer is NO. Is FSA for those wanting a high earning career in the financial industry, wanting to learn and willing to put in the effort and time to be successful, absolutely. It sickens me to see some of the reviews on here, though some true, greatly taken out of context. The negative reviews Ive seen on here clearly are from individuals with little to no experience in this industry and little to no drive. As a former agent manager at a different fortune 500 company in the insurance industry I look at these comments and shutter. In my experience the number one reason agents fail in our indusrty (and leave their clients behind) is because after the first year they can not find new clients to talk to. Lets be honest, anyone who has entered our career path has been faced with a Project 100's asking you for round up and pitch all friends and family (not here). However, once these leads are used up agents fall off and out of our industry due to not having the drive to find new clients out side of their own network. I found that both new and long term agents were spending 70-80% of their time just trying to find new prospects to talk to. I was no different and I was spending that same amount of time training agents how to think outside the box to find new opportunities. The system FSA has istituted for lead generation was the #1 reason I accepted a position here. They have removed this barrier and cured the biggest concern agents face, who to talk to. In this system you are given 5-6 leads a day and although they may be cold, warm, hot or waiting with check in hand it still falls on the agent to be able warm up, make a friend, qualify and help fix any issues the client may have. At the end of the day the management is not on the road with you, they cannot ensure that you make all of the appointments, that you run all of your leads and they can not make every sale for you. THIS IS A SALES POSITION. If you are uncomfortable about that then this may not be the opportunity for you.

Now, you want to talk about expence and pay? There will be some cost of doing business, but the risk is well worth the reurn if you commit your self, pay your dues and put in your time. Nothing in life is free or comes easy. Does eveyone make six figures in their first year, no, but I have seen many do it by working hard, paying attention, following up and listining to what you've been taught. To be clear, the harder you work and the more effort you put in then the greater the return. My agents in the past were on their own to cover scheduling, advertising, phone bills, gas, auto expences, atire, back office costs and in addition also paid for manuals, training material, etc. This is pretty much an industry standand so do not be shocked if you see this anywhere in our industry. That said, at FSA, as most of the comments read, you will find some of the best industry training on the planet. You recieve in you first year and as needed training almost every morning with some of the top individuals in their respective fields. I have never seen anything like it outside these four walls. This system, though sometimes flawed, is everchanging and regularly modified to keep up with the times and technologies. So yes there is and can be growing pains. This is not a bad problem to have when your working for one of the most respected fastest growing financial firms in the country. Please just look at the banner proudly hanging on the front of the building. TOP WORK places, again..! Stop in and talk to an one of us here and you will hear these opinions echoed down the hallways.

Have I been frustrated in my time here, Yes! But if you have the drive, the willingness to grow and the desire to work with an industry leader then FSA is hands down one of the best Financial firms to work with.

ConsMake no mistake about it, we represent clients all across Michigan. Be willing to drive and be good at traveling in the snow.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have alot of talented individuals up in coming, make sure to extend a hand and make them aware that you see them and that there is room at the top for growth.

Like a puppy mill, very high turnover

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Warren, MI

ProsMotivational meetings with leadership. Nice to have leaders out in the field with you.

ConsYou are expected to drive up to 90 miles to try to get in the door with a discount book. Depending on who your assigned manager is, you can get lots of mentoring or not so much.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This isn't a job but rather a career.

Warren, MI

ProsI have received more training than I could imagine from any company in this industry. Senior management is more than willing to answer my questions and help with my development. My skills have improved dramatically since I started at FSA. Every time I walk into the office I have a smile on my face because of the positive and friendly atmosphere. I could imagine a better place to work.

ConsWe do spend a lot of time in our car, which can be uncomfortable during the Michigan winter. This is a sales position, which like all sales positions has it's ups and downs, but I believe the pros out weight the cons by far.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work improving the opportunities of the employees.

Great company with huge upside potential

Warren, MI

ProsThe training and mentoring programs are top notch. Even if you are new to the industry the training is going get you up to speed quickly and help you continuously improve. Also, FSA is always evolving. I've been there less than two years and there have been many changes to make my job better.

ConsIt's a sales position. It's not for everyone. You have to be personable, have an inclination for business and be willing to work hard. Some people expect money to start falling in their lap as soon as they are hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective in hiring. Choose people that are looking for a career and have a passion to help their clients not those that just need a job.

What a bizarre and strange experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent 'system'... or so I thought.

Cons1. Get 'leads'
    2. Show up at the 'leads' door
    3. Have the person at the door have no idea who you are
    4. Give them free coupon book
    5. Try and use the coupon book to sell financial services
    6. Repeat.

Oh, and all the above is at your own expense.

Flag Review
    Financial Services of America Marketing Manager responded to this review Mar 7, 2014 EditDelete
    We appreciate your feedback and I’m sorry to hear that your time at FSA was not a positive one.

I am not sure when you were employed with us, but if it was recently (within the past 15 years
    ... More

Life at FSA . . .

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Warren, MI

ProsGood opportunity for sales training.

ConsMuch more difficult to attain results than management describes. An expensive endeavor.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould be honest with new hires regarding actual results.

What a great experience to be apart of!

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Warren, MI

ProsOpportunity for personal and professional growth, where family comes first. Income potential is unlimited! A work envirmonment where there is plenty of flexibility when it comes to your day to day schedule. Preset appointments daily! An office support staff to help track all of your business and to service all clients. The day to day tone of the office is.....Stay positive and catch employees doing something right!!!! Great atmosphere to work in!!!

Consnone that I can see

Easygoing workplace

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Warren, MI

ProsThey are very flexible when you need to take time off for a doctor's appt or something in your personal life.

ConsLong drive to work everyday

Advice to Senior ManagementFavoritism with select people is not fair to the rest of the hard-working employees.

I wish I would of found FSA when I started in the Insurance business 25 years ago!

Warren, MI

ProsThere is a great team atmosphere that is stressed by the CEO's family-first philosophy.Co-workers are always eager to help you out, especially when I started as a "newby" a year ago. The training is very comprehensive and topnotch as experts in all areas of finance are teachers of the classes. I love the fact that I never have to prospect or cold-call for clients as I'm provided 5 pre-set leads per day with members of several major associations. I'm offered a salary + commission so I'm earning money from day 1.

ConsEvery once in a while I have a far drive for my daily appointments, but for anybody in the outside sales industry to complain about that is ridiculous because I was used to driving from city to city everyday with little hope of my appointments being home

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! FSA has very little turnover. The couple of people I've seen not succeed were naive or not smart enough to take advantage of everything FSA has to offer

Worked for Financial Services of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Financial Services of America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Financial Services of America CEO Richard James. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by Financial Services of America employees.