Financial Times

Be The First To
Add Photos

Financial Times CEO John Ridding

John Ridding

Great global job experience with unlimited opportunities

Account Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Financial Times full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood work/personal life balance, decent compensation and benefits offered, extremely diverse work environment, collaborative internal communications

ConsTough competitive market to sell against in the US, Given time difference of the US vs. the corporate HQ office in London significantly slows the decision making process for US employees

Advice to Senior ManagementDiffer to your employees thoughts and opinions that are on the ground in each region rather than trying to fit 'square pegs into round openings' ...

good place to work, once you graft into the old boys club

I have been working at Financial Times full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-great brand name recognition, intriguing workload, super-intelligent colleagues to learn from

Cons- not much of a ladder to raise people up
- organizational structure is rather cliquish

Advice to Senior Management- do more to harness and develop your existing talent as opposed to bringing in people from the outside.
- disassemble the old boys club that runs the show

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great people, interesting work, but not easy to move up.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Financial Times

ProsStrong effort to bring in people who are smart, hard workers that also fit the culture. Plenty of vacation time.

ConsYou'll be expected to perform at a high level with little feedback. Can be difficult to move up the ladder if you're not in with the right people.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to cultivate young, motivated talent that is eager to make contributions.

Successful in spite of themselves

Ad Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Financial Times full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat content, allowed to work remotely, great time off, great benefits

ConsPoor management across the board, inappropriate and unprofessional work environment, no chance for development or growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive workers a clear path for growth and improvement.

Very employee focused, great people, great company

Associate Sales Director (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Financial Times full-time for more than a year

ProsStrong focus on employee happiness, great 401K, benefits. I really appreciated the transparency of the company. They were also very big in to preventative health for their employees which I think is very progressive and something all companies should be promoting.

ConsLots of middle management, tons of weekly meetings that become a bit redundant, but if corporate world if your thing, it's a really great place to work.

Overall interesting but could have been more challenging

Executive, Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at Financial Times

ProsThe people which are smart and humble. The perks and benefits, which are fair and better when compared to the industry.

ConsBig gap between objectives and how they are carried out. Topline is set but there is no clear action path to complete it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore consistency and also more effort to recognize people's potential and promote them adequately or to give them more visibility on the long run.

Very friendly and relaxed environment to work

Salesforce Developer (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Financial Times full-time for more than a year

ProsVery relaxed atmosphere to work in. Not at all stressful people or uncomfortable environment. Also, flexible hours to work if you are a parent.

ConsSome times way to relaxed to the point it is getting a con more than a pro. But in general if you point it out it will be heard.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the moment, there is no particular advice I can give to management, apart from keeping up the good job !

Premium brand, average company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Financial Times full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome great people to work with and a generous holiday allowance. Whenever I brought up the fact that I worked for the FT in conversation it was always something that impressed people.

Superb location on the Thames and a lot of the staff bonded together really well.

ConsThe FT is a highly political company and if you are unwilling or unable to "play the game" you will get no where on the progression ladder. There is a layer of middle management desperately trying to justify their jobs and in doing so, block communication going up or down.

The amount of reporting tools and meetings that are employed are total overkill and serve little purpose other than to help maintain the image that certain managers are busy.

From my personal experience merit and hardworking was not always rewarded and fresh ideas were either dismissed as a threat to preserving the status quo or "borrowed" by others who passed them off as their own. Similarly, the blame for failed initiatives was often shifted onto those who were expendable.

The company could be so much more efficient and dynamic if the dead wood were to be stripped out. I believe the senior management are unaware of a lot of the necessary changes needed and assume all to be ok.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork out a system of communication that alleviates the need for following the chain of command. The truth rarely gets through presently.

There needs to be a way to offer progression to those who genuinely earn it. Far too many employees give up and either leave or sit back and pray for redundancy / pension age.

Paid internship (min wage) - friendly, lots of opportunities if you put yourself forward

Editorial Intern (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Financial Times as an intern for less than a year

ProsFriendly bunch of people on my section, happy to give you opportunities if you put in the hard work doing the boring stuff and pitch ideas and show that you're enthusiastic to do other things too.

ConsI'm not sure what it's like to be there in the long term, I was there for 10 weeks. It's possible the availability of opportunities tails out if you're there for longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep interviewing and paying your interns - you get better people who are more invested in contributing something during their time there as a result.

Disappointing experience

I have been working at Financial Times full-time for more than a year

ProsFT's prestigious and globally-recognised brand draws young, eager talent, so there are many sharp minds within the company. The holiday allowance is quite generous.

ConsEverything else: ridiculously low salaries, underwhelming benefits, very limited opportunity for career development and progression, opaque and utterly disorganised management.

In sum: glossy finish on the outside, horribly run machine on the inside.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop and compensate your people properly. There's a reason why your top talent is leaving for the competitors.

Worked for Financial Times? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Financial Times reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Financial Times CEO John Ridding. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by Financial Times employees.