FindLaw Reviews

Updated March 2, 2015
50 reviews filtered by
2.7
Michael Mathias

Pros
  • ability to work from home once you get approval from your manager (in 8 reviews)

• Good work/life balance, most employees put in regular hours (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very few women in upper management, I really don't care about that, but I'm sure the women do (in 3 reviews)

• Compensation is low end of the industry (in 3 reviews)

1. Decent but dull

Current Employee - Content Writer in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Content Writer in Eagan, MN

I have been working at FindLaw full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere and we can work from home.

Cons

All of your clients are attorneys, so that can be tough.

The culture is so, so dull. Management seem out of touch.

2. Work more and expect Less

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at FindLaw full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

FindLaw Tech went thru major re-org by external Aeritae consulting which divided Tech org in to Support and development. Provides option to choose whether you wanna have Tech Support career or software development career.
    Lot of work in upgrading of old systems and products built in early 2000.
    FindLaw needs honest and brightest engineers who are willing to work for lowest salaries.

Cons

It's been politically charged for better or worse. It strictly follows legacy chain of command. Eagan team solely controls all Sunnyvale and Bangalore locations.
    Eagan leadership team enforces the fear based culture and punishes who speaks up and being insubordinate.
    There are several hard working and honest engineers who are doing same thing for 10+ years without a promotion and on the other hand there are new employees got promoted in as little as in 6 months. Not sure the the criteria for the promotion.

Divide and rule strategy may not work.
    Be fair to all employees and remove fear based culture.

Business outlook not great for a struggling product.

I worked at FindLaw

Pros

The people are really great, and Thomson Reuters is a has a lot of nice perks. Working from home, good vacation etc.

Cons

FindLaw does not create a culture of ambitious people. Their product lacks creativity. People tend to be complacent because it's difficult to move up in such a political environment. Leadership skills are lacking in many areas of management.

Stop promoting based on time served, or friendships. Try promoting ambitious people who you know may not be there in five years. People like this tend to be more creative and hard working as they care about building their resume.

Company is stuck in the past

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at FindLaw as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

FindLaw is owned by Thomson Reuters, and as such it seems to be perfectly happy to spend money on people's wages even when the work that person is doing is unnecessary. Translation: after about 2 months of working there, the job became nothing more than a way to get a paycheck. Also, the work was easy, and it's basically a 9-5 job. In fact, my work was so light that I was able to complete everything in 24 hrs a week (my manager always gave me incredibly positive reviews of my work, and I consistently asked for more work, because I felt bad that I wasn't working the full 40 hours for which they were paying me. They never gave me more work) and pretty much took the other 2 days off.

Cons

...and that paycheck wasn't even that large. There were no challenges, no one listened to advice, suggestions, criticism. There is a rigid hierarchy and the people at the bottom were accorded no respect, even when solid ideas were presented. Criticism of the people above you was viewed as something akin to insubordination. The smartest people were consistently fired because they spoke up and tried to make things better. They'll tell you they have a start-up culture: don't believe them. By this they mean that there are some sad snacks left out in the kitchen area. The innovation and flexibility that are hallmarks of a start up culture are just lacking.

The company is floundering, and you can't figure out why. Listen to your employees! They will tell you in a heart beat. Don't get fooled by meaningless corporate speak into chasing the shiniest new business philosophy. Focus on creating good, solid products and becoming a leader in creating legal websites and providing legal information. Make a good product, and the SEO will take care of itself.

6. Great Folks

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Strategist in Eagan, MN

I have been working at FindLaw full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great team I work with on the digital marketing strategist.

Cons

Sales people are Pretty out-of-control, they seem to really look after their own pockets versus the client. The attitude is "lawyers have money who cares", that seems to be a universal attitude across the company., and every writer I meet seems to be pretty angry and frustrated.The CEO has a personality about wet rock. Not dynamic and all, very stiff and boring. I don't think too many people have confidence in the guy. Very few women in upper management, I really don't care about that, but I'm sure the women do.

Product development is really bad in the salespeople are worse. They seem to be Dragon about two years behind the SEO curve.

Used to be a great company before the merger and economic crash

Former Employee - Web Developer in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Eagan, MN

I worked at FindLaw full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- sharp people.
    - ability to work from home once you get approval from your manager.
    - promote from within the company.

Cons

On man, where to start. . .

- They took away all the free perks we enjoyed before the Reuters acquisition.

- Pay is on the very low end of the scale.

- Web development and design is easily 5 years behind the curve. They just started doing responsive design a few years ago. I was already using it for three years in my freelance work before they finally got a clue.

- Innovation is nonexistent. They have directors and managers who have no idea what industry trends are happening and how to implement them. As such, they're very slow to react and implement changes.

- Management cronyism. If you're not "part of the clique" the manager hangs out with, you don't get promoted and don't get to work on any other projects.

- Flat corporate structure. There's no where to go except into management as a developer.

- Management has locked out anybody's ability to move up. I could name 8 managers right now who have been in their roles more than 5 years. They actively refuse to seek director's spots and simply stay where they are. This in turn, effectively blocks anybody from moving into a Manager spot. The whole structure is completely locked up and as a Senior Developer (one step up from being a standard developer) you have effectively hit the ceiling, after only one promotion.

- Staggering turn over rate. When I left, the turnover rate was in the mid 80% range.

- Stop having people at the company fill out "Current Employee Anonymous" reviews here to try and raise your rating. If you took out all those ratings, their score would be a 1.5 stars.
    - Build a parking ramp so people don't have to walk a country mile in the winter just to get to the D building.

8. Good atmosphere overall

Former Contractor - Copywriter in Eagan, MN
    Former Contractor - Copywriter in Eagan, MN

I worked at FindLaw as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Good training, nice people. Variety of job duties.

Cons

Cubicles for miles, a parking lot bigger than a football field with no bus until late December, too much emphasis on production and numbers vs quality of content. Not very open to suggestions for improving processes.

Give contractors more security about jobs and include them in company activities. We were invited accidentally, then uninvited to several events while I was there. Mgmt. made a big deal about the company picnic, had the press there, invited families...none of the contract employees were invited and we comprise a huge percent of the workforce.

Looks good on your resume, but that may change soon...their reputation is tanking!

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Strategist in Eagan, MN

I have been working at FindLaw full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are nice, for the most part
    You can flex from home
    Benefits are cool
    My nightmare will end with this company very soon

Cons

This is no place to build a long-term career, you lose more than you gain.

Pay is terrible! I am well-underpaid.

Sales may as well own the organization. They are not held accountable for anything, but as soon as one of them screams its a 5-alarm fire. They sell the product with the wrong expectations all because they get to line their pockets, but crap on the rest of us. When you push back they report you to your Team Lead or manager and then you get into trouble. NO ONE EVER TELLS SALES WHEN THEY ARE WRONG!

Innovation? What's that? For this to be a digital marketing firm we are so far on the backside of innovation. We react, and pro activity doesn't happen. They make software changes that break the system and then you are penalized for tasks being late. They have major tech issues, that again fall back on the individual to report. IT is slow to fix most bugs. They scream at us about being responsive, but as a company they typically wait until a client complains to fix anything (including when the servers were down).

While the rest of the members of the organization are content in their non-client-facing roles, those of us that don't have that luxury get to field inquiries and other pot shots related to FindLaw's reputation (i.e. spammy links, canned content, duplicate content, SEO squared, etc.). We get beat up on the front lines and are expected to clean up FL's mess. Then we are supposed to be choir boys for the company and sing their praises everywhere we go.

Management is ridiculous. The one manager that came in and had great ideas on how to improve was quickly shot down...and so was my hope that things would get better. They said it was too much change, too fast.

There are communication issues everywhere. "Minnesota nice" is not nice at all. Its snooty, snippy and condescending, but you can't tell them that. You'll get into trouble for not being a team player.

You are expected to respond to emails and texts on your days off. They won't tell you that, but don't respond and see the response you get when you return!

Its really hard to advance unless you've been there for forever or you're a "company man". No matter how much more qualified you are or how much better your skills fit in another role, don't expect to be promoted any time soon.

I feel so bad for the remote folks they have it the worst...I don't even think they know it.

Read my cons and fix them. Without certain teams, your products can't exist. You should treat them like you know that.

Nice for the money, but...

Former Intern - Intern in Eagan, MN
    Former Intern - Intern in Eagan, MN

I worked at FindLaw as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

People were wonderful and it paid well. Also, not sure if this is universal, but I had flexible hours.

Cons

There was not enough for me to do for a majority of the summer and then they started throwing random projects at me with little to no expectation that I would finish or succeed.

Offering jobs to interns without having enough for them to do is counter-productive-- I left with a sour taste in my mouth for all things relating to the job (company, people, tech jobs in general, etc.), some of which is unmerited, solely because of boredom.

11. Great company that constantly drives for improvement!

Current Employee - Senior Client Development Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Client Development Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at FindLaw full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company does its' best to stay customer focused.

Cons

Tough job and highly competitive.