FindTheBest.com

www.findthebest.com

FindTheBest.com Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Kevin O'Connor

No better place to learn what it takes to be successful

Associate Product Manager (Current Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

Pros- Tons of opportunities to learn from some very smart people
    - Endless opportunities to contribute to the success of the company
    - Hands off management style where you're encouraged to learn by testing and seeing what works vs. being told what to do
    - The company is headed up and to the right

Cons- Long hours
    - Santa Barbara is a great place to live, but it's lacking perks that come with being in a larger city

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course.

Great place to prove yourself

ProsFindTheBest gives people the opportunity of a lifetime in that they give huge responsibility to smart people with not a ton of related experience. If you are up for the challenge, it is an AWESOME way to learn, and to make a big impact on a fast growing company.

ConsSite sometimes goes down, which is a pain during a sales call. Worth it though - the product is getting really awesome.

Work hard, play hard... Great balance of both!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

ProsVery competitive company, but they fill their office with intelligent, high caliber employees. They are building a product they are passionate about, one that could truly revolutionize the Internet, and their employees are committed to its growth and success. As a part-time intern who is still taking classes, I have had a fabulous time spending my free days in the office and contributing to the team.

ConsThe location is pretty far for the University students, but they compensate that by allowing interns to choose their hours each week (carpooling helps too!). Additionally, the 20hr/wk time commitment is a lot to handle at first, but with time it becomes more manageable.

Advice to Senior ManagementI appreciated the transparency between all employees and was never intimidated to ask questions or reach out to anyone in the company. Fabulous Operations Team as well, and their HR department is wonderful!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meet other young recent college grads, pick up a few skills

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe majority of the office is under age 26 (or looks like it). The company is growing and hiring. You can sit on an ab ball at your computer, play ping pong during your breaks, and take a free yoga class at the end of the day.

As far as the actual work, there's always the opportunity to volunteer yourself to help with new projects.

ConsSome of the projects can be extremely manual and redundant. Sometimes its hard to believe in the website and the business model.

Looking for young lackees they can brainwash

ProsThere's not too many other opportunities in Santa Barbara.

ConsEvery one's a recent grad, so, while that provides for bright-eyed optimism, it also means no one really knows what they're doing, rather, we take and follow orders from senior management -- though always with a passion!

Advice to Senior ManagementBring on some mid-level folks who can help mentor, guide, direct.

Learn from the best and change the world

Prosopportunity to solve massive problems and have a direct impact on the top and bottom line
    amazing location
    young but incredibility talented colleagues and managers

Conswork very long hours but that is because we are in a race against time.. and google
    very hands off, tough for some younger people with little corporate experience

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it moving up and to the right

Incredible Company

Pros-Grand aspirations
    -Smart team
    -Unique culture
    -Fun office environment
    -Challenging work
    -Really generous stock options
    -Unlimited opportunities for growth and advancement

Cons-This kitchen is hot, not everybody can take the heat
    -long hours
    -pay is only alright
    -ambiguity in most roles
    -distracting ocean views

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up, we are killing it.

Great Company to Work For

Product Management (Current Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

Pros- Great atmosphere and culture. They offer lunchtime work out classes or pick-up basketball, evening yoga, catered lunch on Mondays.
    - People are very hardworking. Everyone works a lot and the attitude is very much work hard, play hard.
    - Kevin O'Connor (CEO) has been very successful previously with DoubleClick and is great to work with.
    - Everyone has a ton of responsibility and has the potential to have a huge impact on the company's trajectory and success.
    - Equity. All full-time employees are given an option grant.

ConsWork weeks are long. Usually at the office around 11 hours a day (although this is broken up with activities).

Used and Abused

Product Manager (Former Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

ProsIf you are a smart entrepreneurial kid in/coming out of college and looking for for a job in tech, you may be thinking about FindTheBest, especially if you go to UCSB or some Ivy League School that FTB recruits at.

If you work here, you will get to work in Summerland, which is beautiful but not anywhere exciting.

You could learn a lot from very smart people

There are opportunities to create meaningful contributions.

Cons- No work life balance. The tragedy is many of the people working there have never worked anywhere else and have no perspective. They fool themselves into thinking this is the norm for start ups.
    - Shockingly low wages.
    - Not a 'meritocracy'. People are promoted based on favoritism and circles. Company 'restructuring' happens every 6 months - 1.5 year, so that the right friends can get put in the right areas of management.
    - Did I mention favoritism? A Director once got called out by multiple girls in the office of continuous sexual harassment at work and still got promoted...
    - Kevin O'Connor is one of the greatest entrepreneurs in tech, he's built great valuable companies that have changed the world. Kevin O'Connor can never be wrong. Kevin O'Connor is love, Kevin O'Connor is life. That is awesome and he is a decisive leader. But with great accomplishments comes a great ego and Kevin definitely has that. His ego has become a clout in his decision making and no one in the company has the ability or desire to tell him when he is wrong. This company was founded by Kevin O'Connor, and he will guide it to where he sees fit, listening to those opinions that suit his.
    - Bad decision making, loose morals

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the data to do things in totally new ways. Unshackle yourselves from displaying everything in a grid. Invest in a ton of more engineers. Stop spamming the internet. Respect your employees.

FindTheBest.com Head of HR responded to this review

May 6, 2014

We appreciate transparency and acknowledge that there is always room for improvement, but these claims are distorted. As for work/life balance, we acknowledge upfront to all candidates that we work ... More

Startup trying to move beyond being a startup

ProsStrong culture, emphasis on fitness, all the perks you expect at a startup these days. The office is in a great location overlooking the beach, the kitchen is fully stocked, and there is a gym onsite. Kevin the CEO is a great leader.

ConsNot the scrappy startup it used to be. Now has layers of middle management. FTB still emphasizes transparency and being a meritocracy, but it has lost some of this over the past few years. You have to drink the kool aid and get really excited to spend 12+ hours a day working on a product that is pretty average in a lot of ways. Politics have accelerated.

Worked for FindTheBest.com? Contribute to the Community!