Fine Solutions Reviews

Great employer, great team

Current Employee - Manager in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Fine Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Highly collaborative environment where all members are focused on success. Issues are always taken seriously and resolved. No door is shut and conversation is always welcome. Remote work is balanced and encouraged while maintaining collaborative atmosphere. Friendly staff with good, light-hearted attitudes and serious work ethic. A very pleasant and result-driven team with a focus on customer satisfaction.

Cons

Remote work can develop a feeling of distance from collaborative atmostphere. Balance is necessary. Growth creates needs at a fast rate, but from my perspective, the team does well to keep up, though it can be jumbled.

Implementation consulting and support for Mrcrosoft Dynamics ERP applications.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Fine Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a nice size and friendly, family type of atmosphere. Dan Fine as a business owner does a great job of establishing personal connection with all employees and has genuine concern for each on a personal and professional level.

Cons

There seemed to be above average turnover in the consulting ranks which often created a mismatch between client needs and the capabilities and availability of consulting resources. There were some questionable hires in the consulting group as well as in the management team.

Focus on execution. Figure out how to attract and retain talent. Invest in your people to position for success.

A family feel, but the drive and passion of a well managed firm

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Fine Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Travel is limited, but the opportunity to work on some great clients is there. The employees are the best part. The team is strong and I love the values of each member. Everyone works hard and is smart. It's also exciting to work on the latest technology from Microsoft.

Cons

There is too much work and not enough daylight or staff. The problem is that Fine won't hire just anyone, so for the staff, there is too much work to do. Also, sales should be a little more selective and try to focus on cream of the crop clients. There are a few clients that are not realistic with their implementations, just a few. Most of the clients are good.

Spend more time on recruiting great employees. As can be seen from some of the past reviews, the company was desperate and hired employees that were less than qualified. Go get more top talent.

Worst job of my life

I worked at Fine Solutions

Pros

Can work remotely & client variety

Cons

During my short tenure at Fine I witnessed extreme turnover reaching 200% in just a year's time. It was very common to see new people come and go within just a few months. Payroll delays were common and a few times only the base salary (a professional's minimum wage if you will) could be paid. Clients were frequently unhappy because new ERP implementations were underbid. A common conflict of interest was employees were pulled off client engagements once billing ceased regardless of the outcome of the job. New people joining the firm were frequently thrown the clients that were pissed off and would pay no more. That created an endless pattern of upset clients and upset consultants often resulting in clients and employees leaving the firm.

Great collaborative management team, tremendous focus on customer success

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fine Solutions

Pros

Highly open and collaborative work environment. Senior management core values aligned with customer success and employee satisfaction, particularly in terms of work/life balance.

Cons

Growth challenges are typical for a Microsoft partner of its size.

Continue to focus on aligning short term execution goals and priorities with medium-term strategic vision for growth, customer success, and elevating customer relationship to a trusted-advisor status.

Poorly managed regional VAR

I worked at Fine Solutions

Pros

Client travel limited to region; travel % is less than industry average; work from home; lots of independence; colleagues are friendly; possibility (yet rare) of earning better than average compensation if you are lucky enough to hit 90+% utilization rates without exceeding client budget.

Cons

High turnover in staff; CEO's senior management members also are short lived; numerous occasions when company had severe cash flow difficulties and could not pay employees; commissions are often delayed; no details provided with commission checks; "realized" commissions are very low; high percentage of non-paid work because client budgets are frequently exceeded; lack of systems and shared knowledge base; very low base salary; poor benefits; terrible management

CEO needs to wake up and stop living his dream world. While forward-looking, he fails to see his business for what it is. Employee morale was at a low in 2009, but he failed to address this problem. Dan Fine is a great marketer, but is too high level for a small company. He MUST get involved in the operations, instead of focusing most of his time on sales and marketing. He has very good ideas, but fails to execute.

The compensation plan is horribly inequitable and below market value. Even the headhunters have mentioned their comp plan is a joke and no other VAR does what they do. Don't trust the commission plan! Ask for a market-value salary plus smaller performance-based bonus instead. Most employees end up being one-year consultants once they give up on the theoretical plan.

Strong Microsoft VAR with growth potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fine Solutions

Pros

management comittment to work life balance, setting no limits on potential upside performance and rewards, core values. Great for self-motivated and stong individual performers.

Cons

Limited maturity and experience to scale the business profitably. Lack of focus and comittment on strategic path and values. Inconsistent quality of services delivery.

Stay focused on the key drivers for profitable growth. Continue to attract and retain the best talent with a focus on long term comittment.

Fine Solutions Consultant

I have been working at Fine Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

High level of confidence placed in staff which increases self management and personal goals. Though high-level management can be distant (chiefly because remote work is common), support is available and ready. Collaboration also available when sought. Coworkers are friendly and open. Information sharing is a constant.

Cons

Project management has been a bit bumpy, but nothing visible to the client(s). If an inadequate self-manager, result-driven remote work may be a difficulty.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Fine Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am a senior-level consultant who has worked at Fine Solutions for just over a year. So far, my experience here has been great. I feel valued here and believe in the work I’m doing. My colleagues are hard-working, customer-focused and success-driven. We enjoy working with our clients, and take pride in the solutions we deliver. Like any consulting job, there are crunch times, when longer hours are required to meet project deadlines. However, this is not a burn-out job, and travel demands are reasonable, usually within the Pacific Northwest. I believe I am compensated well. I could probably make more at a larger consulting firm, but I don’t think the tradeoffs would be worth it.

In the past year, we’ve undergone two mergers, which resulted in some organizational flux. I don’t think that’s unusual. Management is steering the company in the right direction. We are growing, but not too fast.

To address a negative comment from another poster here – I’ve never had a late paycheck or bonus, and I’ve never heard about other consultants having to deal with that here.

Cons

Experienced consultants thrive here, but junior-level consultants may face difficulties ramping up due to lack of a formal on-boarding process for new hires. Without professional development plans in place, I worry that the company won’t be able to attract and cultivate new talent.

Love working here

I have been working at Fine Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people here make the job worth doing. Like any job there are bumps, but the collaboration of the team and the motivation to succeed as a whole move us forward. I enjoy coming into the office.

Cons

The only con is time. Things move so fast sometimes that it takes over everything. But that is expected and it does not happen all the time

Keep up the good work!