Fingerprint Communications

Jessica Meisels
1 Rating

1. Enjoyed working here but internship program had no structure

I worked at Fingerprint Communications as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Working with fashion/beauty clients -Attending client events -Friendly people -Client samples

Cons

-No structure -Way too many interns for such a small office -Not much hands on work with pitching and writing -Not much communication with senior level staff

Advice to Management

Instead of hiring 10 interns, hire about 3 and form a structured program. Hold weekly seminars and meetings on different topics related to the PR industry so the interns can actually learn something besides running errands and scanning magazines.

2. Never take an unpaid internship.

I worked at Fingerprint Communications as an intern

Pros

got to put it on my resume, also got to go to fashion week which was awesome

Cons

Some of the people I worked with were cool (I.e. other interns and two other girls at the office) but the rest were pretty miserable and treated me like a work mule. I understand I was interning (unpaid, three days a week) but I was doing the work of an assistant PLUS all other cliche things like getting coffee, picking up one of the girl's medications at a drug store, and various other useless tasks. They did not appreciate my extremely hard work until my two weeks notice when they realized they would have to go back to doing all of my work themselves. Plus- unpaid. I completely drained my bank account just from taking the train every day.

3. Internship

Former Employee - Internship in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Internship in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Fingerprint Communications part-time (More than a year)

Pros

events and meeting new people

Cons

unpaid, rude management and very superficial

5. Helpful. Good people, but a lot of interns for little work.

Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Fingerprint Communications as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- You can work with fashion, hospitality and/or consumer goods - The staff is understanding and nice - You can get a lot of free things - It's not a bad place to have a first internship and still discovering what you want in your field

Cons

- Not enough work - Too many interns - Not an internship program/system - No pay - Disconnect between workers and interns

Advice to Management

Consider making an internship program instead of just simply hiring interns. Have one person oversee them, and do not hire more than 5. Meet with the interns once a week to talk about goals and projects for the upcoming week. Try communicating and connecting more with interns. Offer writing them letters of rec before they leave, and possibly go over potential portfolio pieces that have worked on.

6. Good experience but no structure- FIRST internship material

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Fingerprint Communications as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Free clothes - Insight into the fashion world - Casual - Basic insight into PR

Cons

- Not enough projects - Too many interns - Not an actual intern program - Not enough work - Lack of organization

Advice to Management

Create an actual intern program or at least a consistent list of projects for interns. Also, consider not hiring so many interns.

7. First internship EVER material

I worked at Fingerprint Communications as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Free clothes Relaxed environment If you think you want to go into Fashion PR- this is a great place to witness the ins and outs. You might not get hands on experience but you'll know if it's for you.

Cons

Small office Lots of Fedex and Duane Reade trips Continuous clothes returns and cleaning the showroom They won't give you PR work unless you ask(Press releases,Media alerts, etc)

Advice to Management

Have an intern program in-place instead of figuring out things for the intern to do o the spot. Also ire more than one intern for each day.

8. Friendly atmosphere, great people

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Fingerprint Communications

Pros

The workplace was very small and the atmosphere was really casual, which made getting to know the senior management easy. They were really open to teaching you about the industry if you asked.

Cons

Unless you made yourself known, they could be bad at times about giving interns enough challenging work. They often got so busy (because there were so few of them) that they forgot the interns were there to help.

Advice to Management

Create a more structured internship program, give interns weekly or long term assignments and projects so that they always have something to work on.

RSS Feed </> Embed