Finisar

Finisar Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Finisar CEO and Director Eitan Gertel

Eitan Gertel

Worst kind of management - employees are mistreated

Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Finisar full-time for more than a year

ProsNothing good to mention about this company. If you want to join, please please think 2x. It's mental torture.

ConsPositions are moving to Asia; Management encourages employees to move to Asia, or leave the company. Managers hire new employees without informing the current, there's no communications, no employee reviews. Manager deliberately forgot to file Immigration papers on purpose to deter new hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on development within your own country! Focus on employee relationship that will help your company grow, not politics. Clean house! Get rid of those managements that don't do the work.

Not so good as an Intern

I worked at Finisar

ProsAwesome Pay As an Intern.
Nice People

ConsNo training to Intern.
Communication Gap

Poor, Poor management!

Horsham, PA

I worked at Finisar

ProsOk place to work, when they have work to do. People who work in the assembly are are nice. Some engineers are nice.

ConsFalse hope of having a long term job. Don't expect to work there more than a year. They move all products to other countries for assembly and testing. This company is exactly what is WRONG with American manufacturing and why we are failing as a country.

Very poor management. Our group would go days with our manger speaking to us. He would sit at his desk on his computer or be talking to someone in another department for hours, but he never addressed our group or said hello. If you are a buddy of your manager and socialize with him outside of work (ie buying him drinks), your job should be safe as they tend to keep their "favorite employees" around longer.They ask you to work overtime on the weekend and then when you go to work on Monday there is nothing to do and you just sit around for hours doing nothing. They waste a lot of money by doing this but they don't seem to care.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people fairly and tell people the truth, please.

Process Director

Process Director (Current Employee)
Allen, TX

I have been working at Finisar full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA lot of the peers there are fairly easy to work with

ConsThe Directors there are fanatical. They find a red herring to chase and when their big blown out goose chase fails the blame all the subordinates. They will blame anyone to take the heat off themselves

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up

A nightmare and a true experience of cronysm

I worked at Finisar

ProsGood location with the good employees well being facilities, e.g. Health care room and gym. Some of the team members are good, but mostly are just work with no words due to a very micro manage leadership.

ConsThe senior management especially at Malaysia only take care of their own cronies. The turnover rate for engineers/managers/senior managers are high. Each of the new hire managers are bonded two years. Usually manager will leave once reach two years. The promotion of the managers also base on Cronyism. The senior management will be willing to rehire managers that has very poor leadership skills or performance traits and willing to let go the performance managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the true meaning and value of these three words: honesty, integrity and be humber.
These are not the dictionary meaning, and not to use as devicive tools, but as a way of being.

very trying

I worked at Finisar

Proshigh tech company that is a leader

Conseveryone mostly are backstabbers, outsourcing the business to asia

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on the us employees

great people, poor business model

Lead Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Finisar

ProsPeople at Finisar are very nice and company is trying hard to keep it this way. I heard from several people that it's so imporatnt fot them that they would be reluctant to switch company even if somebody else would offer them a 10-15% higher salary. Company currently is number one in the world in terms of market share of optical components ( modules).
Senior management is generally resonable. Most of the times they do smart things. unfortunately, when they do make mistakes, mistakes are terrible and have negative influence on company's valuation ( read stock price) for years. That's it

ConsNumber one problem is lack of career opportunites. Because US R&D head count basically stays constant over years and all manufacturing side has been moved overseas, there are essentically no career oppotunities at Finisar US.
Second problem is a broken business model. Finisar sells optical components to large companies. Cisco is number 1 or number 2. While Finisar is constantly struggling to be profitable, Cisco, HP and other brands resell Finisar products to their customers for literally 10 times of what they pay to Finisar. It certanly makes it very hard for Finisar to become profitable. Stiff competition does not make it easier. Plus, history of M&A shows Finisar senior management beleives it's competitors are always have superior technology. Only after deal is done managers realize price they paid was too steep. It happened 4-5 times and apparanetely management learned nothing

Advice to Senior ManagementThink twice about new M&A. Expand into new areas like Test & Services

company

I have been working at Finisar

ProsSmart people. New challenges everyday

ConsRaises are worse than the industry stadnards.

Product Engineer

Product Engineer (Current Employee)
Ipoh (Malaysia)

I have been working at Finisar full-time for more than a year

ProsGood for Fresh Graduates & Learn Basic Manufacturing Envoirement

ConsNo much scope for Growth

Good freedom with mostly friendly colleague, however the company is facing too much competition

Firmware Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Finisar full-time for more than a year

Prosrelatively flexible working hour
quite diverse background of employee
some management are easy-going

Conssalary is lower than
some projects are not organized enough
some department is short-staffed while some are just redundant, make it unfair for some employee

Advice to Senior Managementorganize the work in a better way. need a systematic way to solve different problems

Worked for Finisar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Finisar reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Finisar CEO Eitan Gertel. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Finisar employees.